The External Supervisors (1 Viewer)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I have a strong feeling that myself and others are curious about external examiners so for any of my 2015ers and those who are accelerating subject post up questions that you would like answered by a past HSC student :)

1) Can you ask for more paper prior to the exam commencing? For subjects like English I always run out of paper and I'm not like those people who can keep one hand up and continuously write which sucks because literally every second is going to count for English especially Paper 2.

2) When examiners give you paper is it acceptable to say "thanks"? It's become a habit for me but for the externals will that constitute cheating? Whenever I heard someone sneeze I used to say bless you automatically and one of the teachers would always tell me to shut up :lol: (Glad I got over that habit)

3) Other than notifying you when reading time is over, will the external examiners make announcements like "5 minutes left"? I always find myself staring down for the whole three hours and I rarely stare up to look at my watch (The neck pains are real)

4) I'm not one of those people who leaves their papers on the ground (so this question is on behalf of others) but our teachers mentioned that some of the supervisors can be bitches in that they will step on your paper or pick it up and take it away; is this actually true?

5) Friction was not so kind to me during the trials and I've developed some really nasty blisters on my fingers and so I wore bandages to every exam and I will most likely have to for the HSC. Will they force me to take it off to check if I've got anything written on them and if so then will they provide me with new ones?

Post up some more questions :D

buriza

conviction
HSC
Only really answering from memory so I may be incorrect:

1) No.

2) Should probably refrain from saying "thanks" but it shouldn't constitute as cheating.

3) I think so.

4) If you're going to use the paper(s), keep them on your table.

5) You should talking about this with your teachers/principal well before the HSC exams to know what to do.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Buriza nailed it pretty well

For #1 ask anyway as all they can say is no. For #2 say whatever you want, they're getting payed to do this. For #3 maybe but don't rely on it. For #4 i put my papers on the ground and they didn't touch them, if they did i would've said something.

HSC
#2 Usually i do an acknowledgement smile when they hand me another booklet. Can't talk since my throat hasn't been hydrated properly
#3 I usually leave my papers closed under the one i am writing in so my pen writes smoother on the page

Question:
If you need to go to the bathroom, do they make you write your name down or something or do they just let you go?

D94

HSC
N/A
3) Other than notifying you when reading time is over, will the external examiners make announcements like "5 minutes left"? I always find myself staring down for the whole three hours and I rarely stare up to look at my watch (The neck pains are real)
They will indicate when you can no longer leave the examination room.

mreditor16

HSC
I have a strong feeling that myself and others are curious about external examiners so for any of my 2015ers and those who are accelerating subject post up questions that you would like answered by a past HSC student :)

1) Can you ask for more paper prior to the exam commencing? For subjects like English I always run out of paper and I'm not like those people who can keep one hand up and continuously write which sucks because literally every second is going to count for English especially Paper 2.

2) When examiners give you paper is it acceptable to say "thanks"? It's become a habit for me but for the externals will that constitute cheating? Whenever I heard someone sneeze I used to say bless you automatically and one of the teachers would always tell me to shut up :lol: (Glad I got over that habit)

4) I'm not one of those people who leaves their papers on the ground (so this question is on behalf of others) but our teachers mentioned that some of the supervisors can be bitches in that they will step on your paper or pick it up and take it away; is this actually true?

5) Friction was not so kind to me during the trials and I've developed some really nasty blisters on my fingers and so I wore bandages to every exam and I will most likely have to for the HSC. Will they force me to take it off to check if I've got anything written on them and if so then will they provide me with new ones?

Post up some more questions :D
1) You probably can. But some supervisors will be anal, and tell you off and say that we'll give you more when you run out. Just ask before the exam or in reading time, and if they say no, then live with it. As soon as you start your last page of the writing booklet, continue writing but shoot up your hand high. And while your hand is high up, just keep on going. When they come over and give you more paper, a simple look up or nod or grateful facial expression should be more than enough. You're not trying to suck up to the markers. Also, most of all, you don't want to be wasting time, waiting for more paper (once you've run out) and the supervisor is walking all the way from the other side to give it to you. That's wasted time, and is really critical in English exams in particular.

2) I think its reasonable. To be on the safe of side, even mouthing "Thanks" with a smile is more than enough. Also, definitely don't say "bless you" in an exam. Nor should you click your pen, because students have used that in the past as a communication technique for cheating, and hence you could be suspected for cheating.

3) It really depends from supervisor to supervisor. In my experience, they don't. Because they want to keep interruptions and announcements during the exam, to an absolute minimum.

4) Imo if that's a problem just manspread your legs a bit, and chuck the booklets between your legs. But make sure not to trample it! Esp any multiple choice sheets. From memory, many supervisors have provided instructions on where to place your booklets on the ground.

5) No idea tbh. Talk to your school about it!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
^
much the same. Just smile nicely and don't act like a jerk
Yep #3 is a no, (sometimes they might tell you when you cannot no longer leave, but then again you have to ask to leave because you have to hand in paper).

Concerning #4, put in under your table but not where your feet are (so that you wouldn't be accused of cheating either)
Concerning #5, you might need a better pen. But also externals are over a longer period of time, so more recovery time (hopefully) between exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)