The F1 Thread (1 Viewer)

ledzeppelin

HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

so explain to me the strategical advantages of the safety car for certain positions.

every time i see it come out i simply can not understand the yabbering about who would be able to use it best to pull their positions up.
Well in the wet, imo the main advantage under the safety car is for cars lower down the placings, as it bunches up the field. The advantages with pit stops I can see are that it allows you to conserve fuel and again, if you're lower down in the field, you can effectively pit without losing any time on the rest of the grid and so potentially save yourself a pit stop later in the race.

Last edited:

ledzeppelin

HSC

dont you lose points??? or get time added if you pit during safety car?????
(yes, still picking up on this sport)
There's certain time limits I think in which you can pit under the safety car
As in, you have to get back to the pits within a certain time frame

ledzeppelin

HSC

thanks.

also what tires are better on what surfaces?
from what i have picked up from last season (havent had time to watch any races till tonight) tire rules had changed?
In wet races, you see the extreme wet tyres (grooved with a green stripe) which all the teams were using today, as well as intermediates, which Nico Rosberg ran near the end, which are used when the track's drying out
They've returned to slick tyres this year (grooveless), and each race the cars HAVE to use the two different compounds that Bridgestone provides at each circuit - from super soft, soft, medium and hard - which give different levels of performance and durability.

edit: slicks used in the dry obviously

ledzeppelin

HSC

so bridgestone people decide what tires are to be used?
They provide the two different dry compounds at each race, eg for this race they brought super soft and medium compound tyres. Wets are always available.
One compound generally offers superior performance, so the key for the teams is to decide when to use the weaker one during the race.

I just found this on the F1 site about the safety car
Safety car
The pit lane will now remain open throughout any safety-car period, allowing drivers to refuel without penalty. However, to ensure that drivers are not tempted to speed back to the pit lane, a new software system which employs GPS and the cars’ standard ECU has been introduced. When the safety car is deployed, each driver is given a minimum ‘back to pit’ time based on his position on track. If he arrives in the pit lane before that time he will be penalised.

edit: Key 2009 regulation here :)

ledzeppelin

HSC

Vettel P3 and carrying more fuel than the Toyotas and the Brawns :)
Hopefully there's not a 19 car Trulli train after the first corner

kent

HSC

hi i am new here and i follow f1 and i support williams. f1 dis year has been interesting with the new stuff dat has been brought in like kers and the aero changes. looking forward to the start of the european races.

walkahz

HSC

OMG that pass on alonso took BALLS!!!!! That was a great drive by webber finally some luck is going his way.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A

they said his pass on Button in Malaysia took balls as well. I'd argue the Malaysian one was better - wet, no visibility, right off any line through the double corner, and he passed him fantastically.

and Jonathan Legard is getting better, thank God.

pman

Banned
HSC

Opinions on Monaco, This race is either the best or worst of the season depending on who you ask, from one point of view its a crash fest, from the other nothing (in the way of overtaking) happens, whgich side do you support?
I like the crash fest, just hope button makes it through

ledzeppelin

HSC

hopefully raikkonen gets on the kers at the start and overtakes button
it'll be like the trulli train, only slightly faster

pman

Banned
HSC

Except that the Ferrarri's were so much quicker in q2 than button making me wonder how long he is fueled for, he never got above 6th in q2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)