• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Football Thread (2 Viewers)

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
re: The Official Football Thread

yeah soccer isn football, it's soccer! :jaw:

nrl is footbal, GO THE BRISBANE BRONCOS

what the fuck. get over yourself. and get outta here if you dont like it.

by the way what the fuck is wrong with you thierry henry, using your stupid hand

Sean432

HSC

There was no luck of the irish

Charizard

HSC

Good work by Henry.

I've done that exact move last year in a match, ball got crossed in, i was off balance so tapped it with my hand to get in a better shooting position and rocket it in the bottom corner.

Needless to say i was a hero.

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC

Soccer participants actually fellate one another
Yeah...no
France is successful at participating at soccer.
Yep, I hear France is quite successful at both Rugby codes...they're in the top 4 in League I hear.
Soccer is boring.
Get used to it. At least it doesn't feel like the same 10 minutes repeated over 8 times...it's at least the first 60 minutes repeated again in half. A much better ratio
Soccer participants act like they've been shot - what pussies.
No, they don't. They act like they've been hit in the leg with another foot. Unless they're playing in Afghanistan, or Iraq. They don't act there.
Penalty kicks. You are determining a winner by a random event that has no relevance to the rest of the game. It would be as stupid as replacing extra innings with batting practice
It actually is relevant to the game, as it happens in the game too. And it's funny that you're using a cricket analogy when they have recently incorporated a similar practice...but without the batsman....at least we have the keeper. Also, consider this extract from the "Tie (Draw)" page on Wikipedia; "The semi-final of the Heineken Cup between Cardiff Blues and Leicester Tigers at the Millennium Stadium was decided by a "kick-off". After five kicks per team, the scores were level at 4-4 after Johne Murphy (Leicester) and Tom James (Cardiff) had missed their kicks. Moving now to sudden death, the score continued to 6-6 but, after Martyn Williams pulled his kick wide, Leicester number eight Jordan Crane scored to send Leicester Tigers to the Heineken Cup Final in Edinburgh." Arguments get heaps better when they're littered with hypocrisy, don't they?
Psychotic fans.
Let's talk about psychotic rugby players then.
Ties: 55% of games are ties.
Provide a source, and I'll elaborate.
Soccer participants with one name. I can understand why your parents would disown any soccer participant, but they should take at least any last name
And if they didn't, you would most likely whinge that; A) Why do they have such stupid surnames? Or; B) Why does their surname have to take up so much of the shirt space for?. Take Ronaldinho's (de Assis Moreira) and Ronaldo's (Luís Nazário de Lima) surnames into account.
Soccer highlights concentrate on what almost happens
Yeah, I'll give you that one.
Soccer fans justify the activity based entirely on its popularity.
Give me 5 instances of when something not good became popular in a good way. Twilight doesn't count.
The correct term for 0 is zero, not nil. Take a math class.
I hear rugby commentators use this term alot.

I'm not even gonna bother with all those quotes, because they're just stupid...except for this one...
The human body has arms, hands, shoulders, and a brain - why can't you incorporate these into your sport (sic) of soccer?"
They are.

Last edited:

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC

One thing I'm annoyed with in Uruguay winning, is that I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing New Zealand grouped with Australia.
The final teams from each confederation go

UEFA: 13 Total, 5 seeded, 8 unseeded.
CAF: 6 Total, 1 seeded, 5 unseeded.
CONMEBOL: 5 Total, 2 seeded, 3 unseeded.
AFC: 4 Total, all unseeded.
CONCACAF: 3 Total, all unseeded.
OFC: 1 Total, unseeded.

Now, the pots are usually one pot of seeded teams (This year's most likely being South Africa, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, England and either Portugal or France.) and the other three based geographically. Last year featured a pot that was deemed a lot more weaker than the other (featuring CAF, CONCACAF - Mexico as they were seeded, and OFC) as there were 5 debutants, and one country that made their first appearance in 32 years. So it seems that they will base the pots geographically, and so that one seems to have a bit more of a reputation. Luckily, with Uruguay qualifying, there are 2 combinations for the final pots. We can either see the remaining CONMEBOL teams grouped with those from the CAF (Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Cote D'Ivoire, Algeria) and the AFC grouped with the OFC and CONCACAF (Australia, Korea, Sth Korea, Japan, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras.) Personally I think this is more possible, as, at least IMO of what I can remember from past World Cups, the CONMEBOL and CAF regions tend to do a bit better than the other 3 in World Cups. The other option is swapping the countries in CONCACAF with those from CONMEBOL. Because of the amount of countries in each pot totaling to 8 (unless there is a special pot) it's pretty much impossible to have a pot that doesn't feature both the AFC and OFC, and it is for this reason that I don't think we won't be potted with NZ...

Personally, I can't wait 'til December 4, but I'm hoping I'm wrong with how the pots are gonna work out, because I really want a group to feature Australia, Uruguay, New Zealand and either England or Italy.

Gunner4lyfe

HSC

One thing I'm annoyed with in Uruguay winning, is that I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing New Zealand grouped with Australia.
The final teams from each confederation go

UEFA: 13 Total, 5 seeded, 8 unseeded.
CAF: 6 Total, 1 seeded, 5 unseeded.
CONMEBOL: 5 Total, 2 seeded, 3 unseeded.
AFC: 4 Total, all unseeded.
CONCACAF: 3 Total, all unseeded.
OFC: 1 Total, unseeded.

Now, the pots are usually one pot of seeded teams (This year's most likely being South Africa, Germany, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, England and either Portugal or France.) and the other three based geographically. Last year featured a pot that was deemed a lot more weaker than the other (featuring CAF, CONCACAF - Mexico as they were seeded, and OFC) as there were 5 debutants, and one country that made their first appearance in 32 years. So it seems that they will base the pots geographically, and so that one seems to have a bit more of a reputation. Luckily, with Uruguay qualifying, there are 2 combinations for the final pots. We can either see the remaining CONMEBOL teams grouped with those from the CAF (Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Cote D'Ivoire, Algeria) and the AFC grouped with the OFC and CONCACAF (Australia, Korea, Sth Korea, Japan, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras.) Personally I think this is more possible, as, at least IMO of what I can remember from past World Cups, the CONMEBOL and CAF regions tend to do a bit better than the other 3 in World Cups. The other option is swapping the countries in CONCACAF with those from CONMEBOL. Because of the amount of countries in each pot totaling to 8 (unless there is a special pot) it's pretty much impossible to have a pot that doesn't feature both the AFC and OFC, and it is for this reason that I don't think we won't be potted with NZ...

Personally, I can't wait 'til December 4, but I'm hoping I'm wrong with how the pots are gonna work out, because I really want a group to feature Australia, Uruguay, New Zealand and either England or Italy.
NOT italy..lol england would do just fine...

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC

NOT italy..lol england would do just fine...
Lol...I only picked that group for the whole historical and rivalry sort of value...England would be just fine, yes, but still...what a group that would be..

Peartie

HSC

I was reading somewhere that there is talk of splitting Asia into an East and West Confederation, with East Asia incorporating Oceiana (so that Oceania as an independent association is gone).

I can see both positives and negatives from this, but my biggest worry of doing this would be to basically stop any expansion of Football within Oceania, as countries such as Samoa and Tahiti would no longer have ANY chance (well even less of a chance than they have now) of performing well at any tournament.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A

I was reading somewhere that there is talk of splitting Asia into an East and West Confederation, with East Asia incorporating Oceiana (so that Oceania as an independent association is gone).

I can see both positives and negatives from this, but my biggest worry of doing this would be to basically stop any expansion of Football within Oceania, as countries such as Samoa and Tahiti would no longer have ANY chance (well even less of a chance than they have now) of performing well at any tournament.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?

dumb idea - i was in dubai recently and from what i gathered some of these arab nations will do almost anything to rid australia from the asian federation, sack the 'traitor' bin hammam and to retrieve that extra world cup spot australia now occupies.

Last edited:

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC

yeah, how about that. First World Cup without Guus since, 1994 I think.

One interesting fact I came across when going through past qualifications and what not is this: The 2010 World Cup is the first FIFA World Cup to feature no debutants. The closest thing to a debutant is considered to be Slovakia, who last competed as Czechoslovakia at Italia '90. The country that has qualified that has had the longest time between drinks is North Korea, who last qualified for England '66, and defeated Italy in the group stage to qualify for the next round.

Also, it looks the like the Poms are already scared of us coming into South Africa;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/england/6583831/Henry-Winter-Englands-2010-World-Cup-hopes-could-go-to-pot-in-first-round.html said:
Looking at the likely pots, and acknowledging that the final six places will be decided only after an evening of immense tension from Sudan to Slovenia tomorrow, it is possible to describe a nightmare draw for England of Holland (pot two), Australia (three) and Ivory Coast (four). This would surely be the Group of Death, of Kewell and Kuyt, of Poms and circumstance.
For all the psychological lift gained by England from their friendly draw in Amsterdam, the Dutch dropped no points and only a brace of goals in flying through qualifying. England v Australia would be an Ashes with studs, Bodyline in boots. The only team-talk that Kewell, Cahill and Mark Schwarzer would need would be "you're playing the bleeding Poms, people you don't give a XXXX for, now go out and stuff them''.
I don't like the idea of splitting Asia, and combining with Oceania...I don't think there is enough countries to do this. IF we were someone like Europe, I might think about it, but no. Personally, what I think is going to happen is if NZ does good in the World Cup next year, or qualifies for 2014, we will see Oceania getting an automatic Berth in 2018, and maybe, just maybe, and extra playoff spot...

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC

IF Oceania was to receive an extra 0.5 place, which region would lose said 0.5 place?

This is what happened in the lead up to the 2006 qualifiers - Oceania was meant to get one whole berth - however all the other regions kicked up a fuss saying that they did not want to give up 0.5 a place that they had.

That being said - 0.5 is better than 0.25 which is what we had going into the 98 world cup

(Had to beat Canada, then we had to beat Iran - we all know how that one ended up)

hollaholla

HSC

dumb idea - i was in dubai recently and from what i gathered some of these arab nations will do almost anything to rid australia from the asian federation, sack the 'traitor' bin hammam and to retrieve that extra world cup spot australia now occupies.
where in dubai??

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC

IF Oceania was to receive an extra 0.5 place, which region would lose said 0.5 place?

This is what happened in the lead up to the 2006 qualifiers - Oceania was meant to get one whole berth - however all the other regions kicked up a fuss saying that they did not want to give up 0.5 a place that they had.

That being said - 0.5 is better than 0.25 which is what we had going into the 98 world cup

(Had to beat Canada, then we had to beat Iran - we all know how that one ended up)
I thought the 0.5 was in 1994, when we beat Canada on penalties, and then lost to Argentina 1-0?

I don't know who would lose the 0.5 if that place was happening...maybe Asia for some reason...or even Europe...one of their countries has a play off with Oceania, instead of having the Euro continental playoffs? I dont know how that would work though...not thinking too straight at the moment...so I'd have to work on how that procedure would actually make sense lol

Aplus

HSC
N/A

I'll probably cry if Liverpool drop anymore points tonight...

Drewx

HSC

Honduras in the world cup but Russia doesn't make it through? Qualification this year is fucked seriously why does CONCACAF get 3.5 spots the region is a joke only really Mexico and USA worthy enough to qualify from there in my eyes.

Charizard

HSC

Honduras in the world cup but Russia doesn't make it through? Qualification this year is fucked seriously why does CONCACAF get 3.5 spots the region is a joke only really Mexico and USA worthy enough to qualify from there in my eyes.

It's the WORLD CUP mate.

If you want to see only the best teams then watch the Euro's.

We are hardly in a position to be ripping on how shit other countries are, we'll be one of the shitter countries at the tournament as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)