The Football Thread (1 Viewer)

lachlan43

Re: The Official A-League Thread.

sk1001 said:
Why not just go to the game as a neutral when Perth are not playing?

Sydney vs Melbourne (head to head regular season)

Played 9
Melbourne won 4 (15 goals scored)
Drawn 4
Sydney won 1 (8 goals scored)

Fairly abysmal on Sydney's behalf.
Go to games? It's $100 for me to go to a Sydney game AT LEAST. And that's just transport and a ticket. I haven't been to a game yet, I just don't have the money. It's kinda heartbreaking.

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC

blakegman said:
meh who is in the finals ?

1st 2nd 3rd 4th, who gives a shit, anyone one of those teams can win it.

melbourne can beat sydney every match for all i care as long as we make the finals and melbourne don't. even if they are all arrogant dicks down there
Who cares about the finals??
Football isn't about finals..

Gosford

HSC

MARINERS- A_LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!
wow! i cant believe we did it (especially considering the last few weeks which we played terribly!).
Feel a bit sorry for QLD, they are the only other team that deserved to win it. Sydney got wat they deserved (well actually they dserved 4th or 5th but oh well). I was pleasantly suprised at the refereeing in the syd-melb game. 50.50 (for a change), although if it was slightly to one over the other i reckon it was slightly more Melb! (just since marienrs and adelaide games with matt breeze, i thought it was impossible for sydney to get any bad calls)
QLD will make the grand final (and lose to mariners hopefully :p)! i dunno who will out of mariners (id love to say mariners...but from a neuteal point of view i reckon it will be pretty even).

blakegman

HSC
N/A

D347H574R said:
Who cares about the finals??
Football isn't about finals..

?

Any team plays to win. If your not in the finals, you havent won.
sport is about winning, and the entertainment that is derived from that pursuit

veridis

droog
HSC

sk1001 said:
bad luck sydney fc faggots.
SFC not getting premiership = no luck
MVFC not even making finals = no skill
Worst, Title Defence, Ever

kenny.

HSC

veridis said:
How can sydney not winning the premiership=no luck? they couldn't beat a team that supposedly has 'no skill'....

i feel sorry for central coast, no one really gives a crap that they won the premiership lol.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

well they did get 3 consecutive record crowds (the rain meant they only got 9k for the last game) so someone must care

not that you'd hear it in our mainstream media :rolleyes:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

kenny. said:
...i feel sorry for central coast, no one really gives a crap that they won the premiership lol.
Don't you think thats what they are wanting? Less media attention works wonders, as I really dont think they are focused on media now.

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC

blakegman said:
?

Any team plays to win. If your not in the finals, you havent won.
sport is about winning, and the entertainment that is derived from that pursuit
I'm not saying they dont/shouldn't paly to win as yes that's what it's all about, but in Australia too much emphasis is put on the grandfinal and not the so called 'Minor Premiership'. The team that wins the league is the best team that year/season, full stop. That is the reason why the best leagues in the world don't play a finals series at the end of the season, sure they have cups that run through-out the season which are never more than a secondary target for any team.
As an exmaple, say ManUre and Arsenal (hypotheically) were to play in the FA Cup final and let's say Arsenal win it, and ManUre go on to win the league.. Sure Arsenal supporters had a great day to celebrate in the cup final, but they would still regard their season as a fail whereas ManUre's would be successful.

(I'm tired and probably rambling shit through most of that)

Gosford

HSC

D347H574R said:
I'm not saying they dont/shouldn't paly to win as yes that's what it's all about, but in Australia too much emphasis is put on the grandfinal and not the so called 'Minor Premiership'. The team that wins the league is the best team that year/season, full stop. That is the reason why the best leagues in the world don't play a finals series at the end of the season, sure they have cups that run through-out the season which are never more than a secondary target for any team.
As an exmaple, say ManUre and Arsenal (hypotheically) were to play in the FA Cup final and let's say Arsenal win it, and ManUre go on to win the league.. Sure Arsenal supporters had a great day to celebrate in the cup final, but they would still regard their season as a fail whereas ManUre's would be successful.

(I'm tired and probably rambling shit through most of that)
i agree 100%
australia tends to take awya the glory from the minor premiers. I mean in season 1 sydney were not th best team. In the finals yes! (no doubt) but not in the season! that belonged to Adelaide!!!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Well this isn't Europe, and if our culture emphasises a finals series then that's fine. It's good revenue for the FFA too (and that's the main reason we've got it)

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC

Captain Gh3y said:
Well this isn't Europe, and if our culture emphasises a finals series then that's fine. It's good revenue for the FFA too (and that's the main reason we've got it)
Yea I completely agree that it's great for revenue and really helps the clubs since they're only small, but there are better ways they could run it.
For instance if they did an FA Cup style competition where they gave the a-league clubs a bye into the round of 16 and semi-pro clubs from around the country played off for a spot to play them etc and then run that as like a secondary objective for the clubs it would be better and more emphasis would be put on the best team.. (Read Gosford's post ^^)
This would also help in getting the sport more recognition around the country as well as presenting an opportunity for younger players to get more experience against quality opposition.

NB. I haven't really put any thought into that idea, just a spur of the moment thing, just giving an example of ways they could improve it.

Gosford

HSC

u r definately not the only one with that view! I know lots of people who would support that idea but i doubt it will change any time soon!
I shall be going to both games (mariners vs newcastle)
Go the Mariners!

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC

Gosford said:
u r definately not the only one with that view! I know lots of people who would support that idea but i doubt it will change any time soon!
I shall be going to both games (mariners vs newcastle)
Go the Mariners!
Honestly the main reason for it is development which is something the FFA really needs to get a hold of, theres very little in the way of development in Aus, I can only talk about NSW n Vic from experience, but the Vic Institute of Sport is basically a load of crap that selects players based on reputation rather than ability, whereas NSWIS is much better in that regard but need more resources to see players achioeve to their full potential.

blakegman

HSC
N/A

completely agree that the EPL style of competiton with no finals is superior, but that's because the comp has like what 20-23 teams ? i cant remember exactly.

we have only 8, need more. but i see your point.

sk1001

HSC

Captain Gh3y said:
melbourne finals appearances: 1
sydney finals appearances: 3 :D
You're really digging your own grave..

Hyundai A-League titles
Sydney - 1
Melbourne - 2

Last edited:

sk1001

HSC

veridis said:
Get off it shitcunt.
To say Sydney cannot even beat a team with no skill is degrading more than anything.

One win from 9 regular season games against Melbourne. Luck? I think not faggot.

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC

sk1001 said:
Get off it shitcunt.
To say Sydney cannot even beat a team with no skill is degrading more than anything.

One win from 9 regular season games against Melbourne. Luck? I think not faggot.
calm down sk..
and join our bashing of the FFA! (perhaps intelligent discussion would be a better name for it)

Yeah the EPL has 20 teams and they play 38 (league) games a season.
The A League has only 8 and I'm not sure how many games they play (I don't follow it), so yeah of course it will take time to get the league up and functioning to a level we should expect.
There are several things wrong with the league however, not least of which being the qualification for the Asian Champions League, where a team that won the comp a year ago will represent Australia and potentially in the year they have lost all traces of ability (read: Melbourne Victory).
Don't get me wrong I'd love to see them win the Champs League, but does anyone honestly think they will?

I've been driving for 9 hours so yea, I need sleep.

Gosford

HSC

agreed...they are in poor form! It sucks the way things are organised atm! wats worse is Adelaide...at least victory have won 3 and drawn 1 in last 4 games.
But its sad that 5th and 6th will get thru! I wish the AFC woould review it and be more lenient (at least postpone our declaration until we have minor premiers (grand final may be too long to wait). Melbourne wopuld have done extremly well last year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)