The Four unit advanced level marathon... (1 Viewer)

SammyT123

HSC
Makes me shit myself past page 3.

(obviously, q16+ type questions are supposed to be challenging, but some of the questions on that thread seem like they will never appear in the exam)

Pretty much my knowledge of questions come from

• Past Trials
• Fitzpatrick
• Coroneos
• Patel
• Couchman
• Past HSC
• Tutors
• Cambridge
• Phoenix
• Terry Lee

and after having done a buttload of of questions I felt confident....until I saw that thread

Are all (or most ) the questions in the thread likely to appear in the HSC exam?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Makes me shit myself past page 3.

(obviously, q16+ type questions are supposed to be challenging, but some of the questions on that thread seem like they will never appear in the exam)

Pretty much my knowledge of questions come from

• Past Trials
• Fitzpatrick
• Coroneos
• Patel
• Couchman
• Past HSC
• Tutors
• Cambridge
• Phoenix
• Terry Lee

and after having done a buttload of of questions I felt confident....until I saw that thread

Are all (or most ) the questions in the thread likely to appear in the HSC exam?
No, the HSC papers are much easier. You don't need to worry about that thread much to do well in the HSC. Read this post:

No mate, don't worry too much about it...especially if you are at the start of your HSC year. This thread is mostly just quite high level students / uni students pushing each other by asking interesting questions outside syllabus.

Doing well in these kinda questions bodes well for your general mathematical development (and they are fun!), but definitely aren't required to do well in the HSC course. (Some of these questions would probably not be doable by some of the people I know who scored the 99-100 range).

(Link to that post: http://community.boredofstudies.org...u-marathon-advanced-level-21.html#post7090304 )

SammyT123

HSC
Thankyou very much for clearing that up :D

So realistically, even near the end of my course, I wouldn't have to be able to answer most of these questions even in preparation for q16 onwards?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Thankyou very much for clearing that up :D

So realistically, even near the end of my course, I wouldn't have to be able to do most of these questions even in preparation for q16 onwards?
Correct. Some / lots of the Q's in the Advanced Level Marathon are achievable using HSC methods, it's just that in the HSC, they'd guide you through the steps by making them parts of the question, whereas in the Marathons, there's usually little guidance, so it's not obvious what to do. Best off looking at the past HSC Papers to see what HSC Q.16's are like.

Drsoccerball

HSC
I could barely do any question on that marathon and I got 96 :p Also got 34% in BOS trials.

SammyT123

HSC
I could barely do any question on that marathon and I got 96 :p Also got 34% in BOS trials.
You have no idea how assuring that is to me.
Thank you for saving me from depression lol

Also, What are BOS trials? Does boredoftudies have its own trial paper?

Drsoccerball

HSC
You have no idea how assuring that is to me.
Thank you for saving me from depression lol

Also, What are BOS trials? Does boredoftudies have its own trial paper?
Yes usually the person that comes 1st in it comes 1st in the state.

leehuan

HSC
@OP.

Please, do not be deceived by that marathon. I'm in the same situation as Drsoccerball and I got 1 extra mark on him. (No offence m8 :p)

If you want to see questions that are around (sometimes even exceeding) difficulty, THESE are the BOS trials. Carrotsticks and Trebla work on these.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...nsion-2-bos-trial-2015-results-documents.html
http://community.boredofstudies.org...sc/342152/official-bos-trial-2015-thread.html

Pretend Q1-9 never existed and you have ten lots of Q10 multiple choice.

Then Q11-15 is scrapped. Q16 turns into Q11, and then you have Q17-Q20.

Drsoccerball

HSC
@OP.

Please, do not be deceived by that marathon. I'm in the same situation as Drsoccerball and I got 1 extra mark on him. (No offence m8 :p)

If you want to see questions that are around (sometimes even exceeding) difficulty, THESE are the BOS trials. Carrotsticks and Trebla work on these.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...nsion-2-bos-trial-2015-results-documents.html
http://community.boredofstudies.org...sc/342152/official-bos-trial-2015-thread.html

Fight me.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Aside: for Question 2 of the 2015 4U BOS Trial, it should technically have specified that we are talking about the conic section being centred at the origin (or same point on the x-axis), since otherwise we can have hyperbolae that are "equi-eccentric" (same eccentricity) but possessing different asymptotes, as the hyperbolae can be horizontal translations of each other.

KX

HSC
@OP.

BoS trials are so good lol

Well tbh I reckon the HSC 4U exams nowadays barely assess intelligence/problem solving/ mathematical ability anymore, while BoS trials does. So I don't think topping BoS trials will necessarily get you first in the state lol. Judging by the easiness of the post 2012 exams, it's pretty hard to distinguish 1st in the state and 20th in the state for recent exam sitters. (The HSC exams 2012 and before were pretty good, especially 2000 lol).

leehuan

HSC
Meh, I know this is a 4U thread (so tbh, true) but 2013 2U, I didn't like it.

Ekman

HSC
Funny thing, the person that came 1st in the 2015 bos trial came 3rd in the state, while the person that came 2nd in the 2015 bos trial came 1st in the state.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I'm actually really excited for the BoS trials :D Do any of the other subjects do something similar as well?

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Funny thing, the person that came 1st in the 2015 bos trial came 3rd in the state, while the person that came 2nd in the 2015 bos trial came 1st in the state.
Oh, i didnt know that both of the nsb did the trial. Didnt even tell me...

Thats also coz the person who ranked 1st in BOS was 2nd internally, and 2nd in BOS was 1st internally

Ekman

HSC
I'm actually really excited for the BoS trials :D Do any of the other subjects do something similar as well?
There was one done by someth1ng for chemistry in 2012, but thats it.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I would like totally organise a music 2 one but there's like no one who even uses that forum hahaha

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Don't forget strawberrye as well, she held her own custom version of the HSC Chemistry exam in the past...Will she bring it back this year for the 2016 cohort? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)