Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
TheHarlequinMan said:
i hear we might not have a Union as of next year, even next semester?!

WHAT'S THE GO?! I LIKE THE UNION!!!
You and your a priori arguments can go fuck themselves.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
if you like the union, you should get a gun and point it directly at yuor genitals and pull the trigger.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
VSU is awesome, itd be better tho if we still had mandatory unionism but 3-subjecters were counted as part time

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
VSU sucks. how can you expect your uni life to be as awesome as it is now with no money? the union is so important.

i know i'll still pay if its voluntary becasue i support the principle of what they do. besides Newy uni is so far in debt how can we expect ANYTHING to be free inc basic services etc without contributing. the uni is a business institution designed to make a profit but the union is something we made ourselves for ourselves.

i know i've been at uni all of 5 days now but i can see how important this issue is and im still going to pay my gsc even if its not compulsary... really its only like 10hrs work... for the greater good.

Emily. said:
VSU is awesome, itd be better tho if we still had mandatory unionism but 3-subjecters were counted as part time
i could be missing the point here but this seems like a pretty selfish statement

opinions???

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
i could be missing the point here but this seems like a pretty selfish statement

opinions???
well im sorry but i dont think i should have to pay nearly $200 a semester for services which dont even benefit me at all. When im at uni (i only do 3 subjects and im there mostly after 5pm) basically nothing but the shitty food section is open at the union, and none of the other services benefit me in the slightest (i cant even think of any other services). in fact, the only thing at uni which i got benefit from other than the actual course itself, was the RMR (resource and materials room) which is shut now anyway, and i pay my thousands of dollars of HECS for my courses. why should i have to pay anything else when it doesnt benefit me? im out earning my own money, working full time, why should i be supporting all the bums doing full time uni cos they have nothing better to do with their time (a good portion of which have no intention of becoming tax-paying citizens on graduation anyway).

plus, my uni life aint that awesome. i go there to lectures and tutes then i go home. the end.

Last edited:

l-mercedes-l

HSC
wow it sounds like you really hate being at uni... the difference is i love it... the atmosphere etc is so awesome, esp coming from a REAAAALLLLY small school... i know i wouldnt want to lose that atmosphere...

and about the hecs thing, thats just part and parcel of uni and everyone is in exactly the same situation. i earn my own money too but i dont mind contributing to the greater good...

i never thought in a million years i'd be so pro-union... i just think its an important establishment and hugely important to the culture, im sure you'd have to agree with me there... eg bar on the hill etc etc etc....

anyway i didnt mean to be critical of you personally, your circumstances are different to mine and as such i hadn't much considered but i think from a full time student perspective, VSU is so wrong and i hate the attitude of most of the students who'd rather buy 6 cases of beer than pay gsc...

opinions???

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm only doing 3 subjects this semester (I have credit for one, and with the way my degree is structured, I can't bring any 3rd yr subjects forward), and with a grand total of 9 hours, I still have absolutely no objection to paying the GSC. I may whinge and bitch about it, but I think the union contributes to a vital part of student life.

For those of you who partake solely in academic activities, I think you're missing a gigantic part of uni life, and in a way, I really pity you for that. I am one of the first to admit it is our academic pursuits that bought us all to uni in the first place, but at the same time, uni is so much more than just lectures, labs, tutes, seminars, whatever teaching method your courses employ.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
For those of you who partake solely in academic activities, I think you're missing a gigantic part of uni life, and in a way, I really pity you for that. I am one of the first to admit it is our academic pursuits that bought us all to uni in the first place, but at the same time, uni is so much more than just lectures, labs, tutes, seminars, whatever teaching method your courses employ.
Here here...

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
If you wanna party do it on your own time, with your own money.
exactly, i agree.

honestly guys, i dont have time for much else than going to uni. i live in town, so going to the BOTH is an effort, i cant drink there cos i have to drive home. if thats the reason im paying my gsc, well id rather not pay the money and spend it on my own grog in town. why should everyone else have to pay for your so called "uni life"???

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Distance from uni is a pisspoor excuse. I have even further to travel than you, with absolutely no chance of using public transport or catching a lift with mates, and I still enjoy my time at uni. There is more to our "so called uni life" than pissing it up at the BOTH

l-mercedes-l

HSC
Emily. said:
honestly guys, i dont have time for much else than going to uni. i live in town, so going to the BOTH is an effort, i cant drink there cos i have to drive home. if thats the reason im paying my gsc, well id rather not pay the money and spend it on my own grog in town. why should everyone else have to pay for your so called "uni life"???
why should everyone pay taxes when x% goes toward nursing homes for the elderly and preschools for the young? perhaps because these services are essential...

the arguement your making is pretty selfish which i think is pretty typical of the attitude of a number of students ive spoken to about it, but were probably poorer than you, considering that your able to work a 9-5 week and earn decent money... we all have rent/food/clothing costs but also value the culture of the uni.

perhaps your circumstances are extenuating but on the whole, your attitude, which is indicative of stacks of others is wrong... its like opting out of [dare i use the same example again] taxes and still expecting basic services. perhaps you PERSONALLY don't have the opportunity to utilise some services but by paying the gsc, the offer is there. you CAN go join the forum at halfprice!!! [which is open 6-10!], you CAN attend special events even if you choose not to the offer is still there by paying your gsc. THe arguement im making isnt about you personally but moreso your attitude.

its starting to look like it might be just jess and i paying up next semester... hmmm

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
why should everyone pay taxes when x% goes toward nursing homes for the elderly and preschools for the young? perhaps because these services are essential...
There's a bit of a difference between 'nursing homes for the elderly' and 'parties/protests for some people on a campus that like them... at extremely expensive rates'.

I have no problem with subsidising childcare et al services for other students - I just have a problem giving so much wasted money away to a group of people that the VAST majority of the student body doesn't vote for.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
what do you mean? dont we get to vote for them? can any old freak just walk into a position like that? i kinda thought it was quite competitive/exclusive
At UWS in the last SRC Election I believe 300 / 30,000 or so students voted...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)