The future of our Union (1 Viewer)

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Benny, now let me explain something to you ...... I wasn't saying that other people are paying for Emily's course, I was merely emphasising that Emily can not seem to see outside of herself. I was emphasising my opinion that Emily only cares about things that directly relate to her ..... so therefore I was saying that because it is ALL about Emily, then there is no purpose in having anything at Uni that didn't directly relate to Emily, ie any other courses or programs.
There was no need to emphasise anything. It was clear what the motivation behind Emily's posts were. Don't bother trying to engage in a circular debate. Your attacks on her are driven by rather stupid ideas. Emily's personal preferences are of little relevance to the merit of VSU. Many of the services which you are arguing for, are not essential to students. As such, people who don't use those services shouldn't have to pay for them. Simple as that. There is nothing selfish about it.

Oh, by the way, other people ARE paying for Emily's and other students courses. (Unless of course she and others are paying Full Fees) HECS is merely a contribution, it only covers part of the costs involved, the rest is paid by the Government, and therefore taxpayers.
Again, grow a brain. On average, how much does each taxpayer contribute to HECS each year? Whatever the number is, you can be sure that it's not anywhere near $400.

Get it right if you are going to go down the 'showing intelligence' road
This is so sad, you obviously think I was wrong when I pointed out that you were trying to act all intelligent when you are clearly not. As for getting it right? Read what I typed above this paragraph.

Last edited:

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Justine2408 said:
Benny, now let me explain something to you ...... I wasn't saying that other people are paying for Emily's course, I was merely emphasising that Emily can not seem to see outside of herself. I was emphasising my opinion that Emily only cares about things that directly relate to her ..... so therefore I was saying that because it is ALL about Emily, then there is no purpose in having anything at Uni that didn't directly relate to Emily, ie any other courses or programs.

Oh, by the way, other people ARE paying for Emily's and other students courses. (Unless of course she and others are paying Full Fees) HECS is merely a contribution, it only covers part of the costs involved, the rest is paid by the Government, and therefore taxpayers.

Get it right if you are going to go down the 'showing intelligence' road! :sleep:
now youre just being silly, comparing hecs with union fees. and as NTB said, its spread over an entire country, and would probably not have an impact anywhere near GSC costs except for moderate to high income earners, most of who have gone to university anyway. but that argument is completely redundant and pointless as you cannot compare the two...then again i have no clue....its probably not even close...i doubt tertiary education is that costly to the government or we would all be paying full fee anyway. im sure things like infrastructure, health and defence are much more costly, as, when you think about it, there arent really that many universities in australia compared with hospitals, roads....and gee, the price of fighter jets these days!
and i dont know where you get off calling me selfish, as it is the majority of people who are arguing pro-VSU, and i am speaking in the interests of the many who are in my situation and share my views, and I REPEAT was using personal experience as an example. it is examples which add substance to an argument, something, as a university, which you should now know. as has been repeated many many times, but which you cannot seem to grasp, it is the anti-VSUers who are selfish, expecting everyone to pay for their fun. VSU gives a CHOICE. i dont understand why people are saying i have a choice to participate under compulsory unionism....im still $187 poorer a semester not buy choice...duh...?

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Justine2408 said:

Get it right if you are going to go down the 'showing intelligence' road! :sleep:
Strawman. When did anyone on the pro VSU side say they endorsed the theft of tax payers dollars to fund someone else's degree?

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I'm so with Emily on this.

In 5 years time, we just need to have a look at Emily's bank balance and her asset/liability in comparison to yours... I know who's in front now and who's going to come out in front.

You can go and pay your VSU fees to keep your shitty bar, 'cheap' food, etc. and waste your hard-earned money.. you're gonna get a shock when reality slaps you in the face. ;)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Your argument is flawed when, regardless of VSU, Emily should be financially 'in front' of us when she is working fulltime, and most of us only have casual jobs.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Yeah and she takes home bloody peanuts for pay!

My new part-time job earns me as much as Emily does working full time, but what it doesn't get me is experience in a professional career so I'll probably have a harder time landing a job when I graduate unlike Emily who'll already have one.

The fact she's working full time is really irrelevant, because it's her attitutude towards money and saving, etc. that's going to get her in front of you zealots - I see it every weekend, the same people out week after week, pissing up. I have no idea how they can afford it. I spent about 3 months pissing up every weekened, etc. and it got me nowhere except in debt really fast with a maxed out credit card. These days I only have a few drinks, with the occasional big night out on like post-fight celebrations, etc. because I'd rather save my money for something like a deposit on a house.

Nobody forced you to go to Uni and study full time, you don't realise what sort of little bubble you are living in.. it's going to pop one day - you'll graduate Uni with no money, but years of pissing it up and waist line to show for it and you'll want to move out of home, or you'll be getting kicked out of home. How are you going to manage?

No-VSU is part of this bubble, let me tell you... if you want to save money, pack your own godamn lunch. Buy your alcohol from the bottle shop and have a couple of quiet ones with friends, don't get slaughtered every weekend in pubs & clubs. The gym? I used to use it, but besides the fact I don't train these days, there are cheaper and more effective alternatives that can be used. Toilets? haha, yeah.. good one, now we can really tell you're being brain washed with proporganda... VSU would just mean no toilets of course and we'd all be pissing and shitting in the bush, LOL!

Yeah, don't worry.. I'm just a bitter and jaded commerce student too who only cares about money. :cool:

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Your argument is flawed when, regardless of VSU, Emily should be financially 'in front' of us when she is working fulltime, and most of us only have casual jobs.
Btw, you only just got a job recently didn't you? That only really helps Emily's argument. You could have easily had a job sometime during high school and been saving money... there are plenty of us who held jobs through high school and all through Uni and saved some money.

Mummy and Daddy are so good to have aren't they? :eek:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Nobody forced you to go to Uni and study full time
Actually, my degree is only offerred on a fulltime basis.
Btw, you only just got a job recently didn't you? That only really helps Emily's argument. You could have easily had a job sometime during high school and been saving money... there are plenty of us who held jobs through high school and all through Uni and saved some money.

Mummy and Daddy are so good to have aren't they?
Despite what you seem to believe, you don't know or understand my circumstances, so just fuck off.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Nobody forced you to go to Uni and do a degree that was only offered full time. You could have gone and a got a job, done a trade, done another degree part time, etc.

If Uni is such a financial burden, then how can people afford to piss up every weekend? Simple. It comes down to a matter of priorities. People shouldn't get the shits with Emily and scream 'selfish, selfish, selfish!' when her priorities lay in different places to yours. Anyway, I think most of us need to be more selfish in regards to our own finances, it is not easy work managing and trying to grow your financial situation... let alone having the time to worry about how poorly others are doing and helping them out (maybe when I own a house + I'm debt free I'll consider that, but not now).

You are all just little girls while Emily's a woman. Start taking some responsibility for your own life. Nobody forced you to go to Uni, nobody forced you to drink when you're around other people in social environments, your circumstances did not stop you from getting a job during high school or at the start of Uni - do not pull some bullshit that you're not responsible and there was nothing you could do! Take some responsibility for your life, including your finances, like Emily has done.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Perhaps noone forced me to elect to do my degree, but how can you deny your 'life calling'? (that makes me sound religious :s). Sure, I could have done something else, but I would have been completely miserable and ending up in a 'job' as opposed to a 'career' that will allow me to make a gigantic change to peoples lives.

As for not working at school, I live 20km from the nearest town, and given my parents went/go away every weekend, I had no possibility of working until I got my P's, which was the start of year 12. As I'm finding from the kiddies at work now, to try and work and do yr 12 at the same time is just crazy. As for not working once I got to uni, you know as well as I do that I was looking (albeit half-heartedly at times). Besides, I struggle to see how this relates to me not 'taking responsibility for my life and finances'. Don't comment on my life when you fail to understand critical factors influencing it.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Don't comment on my life when you fail to understand critical factors influencing it.
Ok, you just remember that next time you want to have a go at me about an argument I had with my sister you heard about from someone else, my so called 'anger issues', my attitude towards Uni, etc.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Cyph said:
You are all just little girls while Emily's a woman. Start taking some responsibility for your own life. Nobody forced you to go to Uni, nobody forced you to drink when you're around other people in social environments, your circumstances did not stop you from getting a job during high school or at the start of Uni - do not pull some bullshit that you're not responsible and there was nothing you could do! Take some responsibility for your life, including your finances, like Emily has done.

just because she works a full time job makes her a woman?

fucking realise that we are all grown-ups here! trying our hardest to make it in the world.

Just because I don't work 9-5 doesn't mean that I haven't taken responsibility for my own life. I'm at uni all day, I work from 3pm-9pm, because my job doesn't allow me to work during school hours, and when I get home from work I sit down and get some study done.

And I still manage to save money and have a good time out some weekends.

Can't you just realise that each situation is different? Sure maybe Mummy and Daddy have helped people like hipsta_jess and myself out, maybe they did it because they care? And they want the best for their kids? It's not fair of you to have a go at us, because our parents have chosen to do that.

VSU or no VSU, just realise that there are people in the world who think differently to you, and just because they do so, doesn't give you a right to attack them for it. Celebrate the differences, how boring would it be if we all thought the same?

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
That wasn't directed at you, Sarah. You've not really been involved in this thread up until now.

I am surprised you'd think that I would think that of you... thought you might have known me a bit better by now.

VSU or no VSU, just realise that there are people in the world who think differently to you, and just because they do so, doesn't give you a right to attack them for it.
I agree completely. Do you think the flack Emily's taken and being called selfish because she's pro-VSU is fair? I don't.

But, I don't think it's fair that people who scream and cry they'd be too poor without Union go and piss up as much as thurs (BOTH), fri, sat and sun all in the one week while crying poor. It's simply a matter of priorities... and some brain washing!

Last edited:

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Uh guys....you can stop arguing now....this has been blown completely out of proportion and doesn't even seem to be about VSU anymore. I understand everyone has different goals in life, and I don't expect everyone to work full time and do Uni like I do, thats the choice that I made. The thing I was arguing was that I don't think I should be punished for that choice by being made to pay for services that I don't use. However, I think that this argument is over and we should let this thread die into the BoS archives.
Cyph, while I thank you for your good intent in arguing on my side, I would prefer it if you didn't discuss my financial situation (of which you really know nothing) with the rest of this forum. As previously stated, this argument IS NOT ABOUT ME!!!! Its about VSU, of which I used personal experience to support my arguments.
If you must, argue on (however it all seems a but repetitive and redundant now) but leave me out of it.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
GSC is 60% gym, ive never used the gym, never going to use the gym. but i will pay the gsc just like i have since 2003. for those that said they arent going to pay the gsc this semester you will have a negative service indicator and will have to pay it eventually, it will be second semester that things will change. last i heard was that the uni was going to try and float a services fee to cover forum/unu/nusa

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Emily. said:
Cyph, while I thank you for your good intent in arguing on my side, I would prefer it if you didn't discuss my financial situation (of which you really know nothing) with the rest of this forum. As previously stated, this argument IS NOT ABOUT ME!!!! Its about VSU, of which I used personal experience to support my arguments.

HA! I'd prefer my first name wasn't used on the forums, but I don't get that luxury do I?

You're right though Emily, time to let it die..

RIP

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
Emily. said:
i think youre a bit confused. VSU is voluntary student unionism. i think you mean GSC. you WILL have to pay this semester or you wont be able to access your results at the end of semester. i believe they may even cancel your computer access (im not quite sure on that point). VSU doesnt start til 2nd semester, so im sorry but we all have to live with paying $187 this semester.
oh yeah, i meant the VSU, i meant to say to all the anti-VSU ppl...

I have already paid the GSC but I wont be paying the VSU in sem 2, because I won't have the money

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I used the coffee cart yesterday, so looks like they are still around... $2.40 for a flat white. Most places charge $2.50 for takeaway.. do I get a 10c discount 'cos I pay my GSC? Yipeeee!

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
yeah im guessing the carts just werent around in the first week since theres only lectures mostly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)