The future of Sydney (1 Viewer)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Naw I like living here in Australia. It's not crazy like America, not tiny like New Zealand, and not weird like some of Europe.
Australia's good, but its going to get significantly worse over the next few decades

and I don't know what you mean by "crazy" in the US. Are you referring to people owning lots of guns or something? Most gun crime is committed by people in cities using illegal handguns, NOT by legal rifle owners in rural/southern areas, you know, the "crazy" ones the media loves to obsess over.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
America is a much larger country so any shitty trends are kind of diluted but in general the US stands to decline a hell of a lot more over the next few decades than Australia (other than house prices)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For me, the biggest turnoff about the US is how far everything is politicised and ideological. It is ridiculous how something as basic as say mask wearing or vaccinations can be made so partisan. At least here (and arguably in most other western democratic countries), most leaders across the political spectrum are in broad agreement on that.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
For me, the biggest turnoff about the US is how far everything is politicised and ideological. It is ridiculous how something as basic as say mask wearing or vaccinations can be made so partisan. At least here (and arguably in most other western democratic countries), most leaders across the political spectrum are in broad agreement on that.
Bunch of snowflakes if you ask me.

enoilgam

HSC
and I don't know what you mean by "crazy" in the US. Are you referring to people owning lots of guns or something? Most gun crime is committed by people in cities using illegal handguns, NOT by legal rifle owners in rural/southern areas, you know, the "crazy" ones the media loves to obsess over.
As much as I think their gun rights are insane, America has a violence problem not a gun problem.

America is a much larger country so any shitty trends are kind of diluted but in general the US stands to decline a hell of a lot more over the next few decades than Australia (other than house prices)
I was watching a documentary series this week about WW2 and at the height of the war the US was producing one aircraft carrier every month and a transport ship every three days. Their industrial capability in that era was immense, like I reckon it would have been on par or better than China of today. It's sad to see how far they have fallen

To me, this is one of the key factors behind their decline, the level of polarisation is just insane and Democrats and Republicans share the blame. There just doesn't seem to be any compromise - when a party gets into power they immediately bring out there most divisive policies. There is no effort made to acknowledge that whilst a party is in power, they should attempt to implement a more cantered version of their key policies. Also, the judiciary is way over-politicised - in so many states Judges are elected by the public and the process of appointing judges in many others and at a Federal level goes through a politicised process. I mean, in a Westminster system the judiciary must be politically impartial, it's a cornerstone of the system. Clearly the US missed the memo.

HSC
australians would all start engaging in unprotected anal sex with each other if the govt started telling them to do it randomly
The sad thing is, if the government actually said that, us aussies would be stupid enough to do that because our aunties and uncles in power told us so.

Are you referring to people owning lots of guns or something? Most gun crime is committed by people in cities using illegal handguns, NOT by legal rifle owners in rural/southern areas, you know, the "crazy" ones the media loves to obsess over.
Well bloody said! The media also likes to omit if a firearm was illegally obtained when talking about a shooting happening. Many people in this nation blindy think the gun laws in our country are good when they don't know jack shit about the laws in this country surrounding firearms despite the fact they've only hurt legal and law abiding gun owners and have done almost nothing to stop criminals from obtaining firearms.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Australia's good, but its going to get significantly worse over the next few decades

what do you mean by crazy like the u.s? what are you referring to? america's crime rate is massively exaggerated by foreigners, and most of that is because of certain minority populations that commit a disproportionate share of the crime there. one thought experiment i like to tell australians to demonstrate this is what if aboriginals were 13% of the pop here rather than 2% or whatever, imagine how much more crime australia would have if that were the case. you would get bashed just right after walking out of your house. for the most part, if you avoid the bad areas (like inner city detroit, east st louis, baltimore, etc.) of the u.s, the crime rate and overall danger level is no different from any other european western country or australia.

i think as of late australia has demonstrated more than anything to be an absolute nutso country, more so than america; our entire national character has been on display over the past 1.5 years. police state, insane aversion to risk, and not to mention absolute disregard for quality of life (for non-boomers) and realistically attainable housing markets.

with my savings, i could buy multiple houses in one street in many large american cities, or put them halfway towards buying a luxurious mansion - there is nowhere in australia i could ever do this, i couldn't even outright use them for a deposit in sydney/melbourne at the moment, let alone buy outright. if you seriously don't believe me compare properties on trulia in sunbelt cities like phoenix, dallas, etc (all of which are larger or as large as sydney/melbourne) for what you would get (or wouldn't get) in sydney and prepare to be flabberghasted - massive, beautiful houses that sell for half of what a one room shithole apartment in sydney would, that has structural building issues, flammable cladding and walls so thinly and poorly built you can hear your neighbours in the apartment over fucking. australians are so parochially convinced of how great their country is they don't realise just how much they're getting fucked over.

i'm more considering trying to move to the u.s every day, hell i've even considered moving to brazil, a country that actually has notably serious issues with crime.

nz is a shithole btw, it has all the issues australia does (ultra nanny police state, hyper unaffordable, zero job market) but it's even worse on all those counts and more, chuck in terrible weather that's as cold as the u.k but unlike in the u.k houses are built to passively withstand cold, while in NZ houses are as poorly insulated as they are in aus, meaning, not insulated at all, often colder inside than outside. living through winters therer can be a fucking nightmare for that reason, archie luxury summarises his experiences in auckland and he is dead on.

this is supposed to be the best city in nz; it's only the same size as adelaide roughly, as expensive on a price to income basis as sydney, and has weather as miserable as hobart. sums up nz pretty perfectly. i'd rather live in buenos aires or curitiba.
Of course it’s crazy. You have people rioting on the capitol because they thought Trump won. You have some people rioting in the name of ending racism or screaming ridiculous slogans like abolish/defund the police. Gun laws are crazy in some states and just in general. Political polarisation is crazy as trebla pointed out. Healthcare is crazy or so I’ve heard.

As for gun crime, who does it and why it happens is only important if your thinking of how to stop it, not if you’re planning on moving there. The only thing I’m concerned with is the amount of mass shootings they have not why. I know it’s a small percentage of the overall population but it’s still something as they’ve had like 400+ so far in the year.

I think the two major things America has on us is power and that it’s the land of opportunity.

DarkOperator618

HSC
Of course it’s crazy. You have people rioting on the capitol because they thought Trump won. You have some people rioting in the name of ending racism or screaming ridiculous slogans like abolish/defund the police. Gun laws are crazy in some states and just in general. Political polarisation is crazy as trebla pointed out. Healthcare is crazy or so I’ve heard.

As for gun crime, who does it and why it happens is only important if your thinking of how to stop it, not if you’re planning on moving there. The only thing I’m concerned with is the amount of mass shootings they have not why. I know it’s a small percentage of the overall population but it’s still something as they’ve had like 400+ so far in the year.

I think the two major things America has on us is power and that it’s the land of opportunity.
thought it was land of the free or something

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
fucking awesome song
kind of annoying how popular it has gotten among millenials and stuff because you know a massive chunk of them would have nothing but scorn and mockery for the sort of people living in west virginia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)