• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

"The Glass Jar" pple: dramatic irony????? (1 Viewer)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
:rolleyes: Im doin The Glass Jar for Changing Self:
In the poem is there dramatic irony?
Eg. the responder KNOWS u cant keep light in a jar and the responder KNOWS u cant "excorise" demons wif a jar......so would that be called dramatic irony?
I asked my teacher she said : "no, just say irony...dramatic irony is only used in dramaaaaaaas"
Is THAT true?
Fanx (>.<)

bobo123

HSC
i thought dramatic irony was for theatre
like when the audience knows more about whats going on than the characters
but im not sure :(

Fi

Dramatic ironey can also be used in novels, for example, "Emma"; We know that Mr Churchill and jane fairfax r in a relationship yet Emma does not..........This is dramatic ironey.

Just think of it this way; The composer and responder know something that some of the characters do not know.

If i've confused u......ignore me.

Fi

calm down mate:) It'll be alright. If ur having trouble with something maybe we can help u out.

malayz_angel

Originally posted by Fi
Just think of it this way; The composer and responder know something that some of the characters do not know.

If i've confused u......ignore me.
Well in that case, would dramatic irony in the 'Glass Jar' be the child walking in and seeing his parents together in the room as the parents didn't know that the child was watching? Or that the parents didn't know about the kid's nightmares? Okay, I admit that I really don't know what dramatic irony is, these are just guesses. Don't rely on this info ;)

1 more

fructis
HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel

Well in that case, would dramatic irony in the 'Glass Jar' be the child walking in and seeing his parents together in the room as the parents didn't know that the child was watching? Or that the parents didn't know about the kid's nightmares? Okay, I admit that I really don't know what dramatic irony is, these are just guesses. Don't rely on this info ;)
The dramatic irony in the poem would be what lillaila suggested.

1 more

fructis
HSC
And lillaila, Im no authority on this, but i think you should ignore your teacher. Does she know there is a difference between the two terms, and that dramatic irony relates to the poem more sufficiently than irony does? :confused: :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)