The guilt is starting to kick in (1 Viewer)

Chiprr

HSC
I'm starting to feel like I'm definitely not doing enough but I still really don't know how to study other than just doing past questions. I don't know how to study for economics and physics textbook questions (in focus at least) don't feel helpful at all. It also doesn't help that I don't know what to study since I don't see value in summarising or rewriting notes. I'm trying to do 2-2.5 hours per night during the week but that is rarely accomplished and that could be down to my study schedule but is made significantly worse by not knowing what to study.

For context I do: english advanced, MX2, MX1, engineering studies, physics, and economics

liamkk112

HSC
I'm starting to feel like I'm definitely not doing enough but I still really don't know how to study other than just doing past questions. I don't know how to study for economics and physics textbook questions (in focus at least) don't feel helpful at all. It also doesn't help that I don't know what to study since I don't see value in summarising or rewriting notes. I'm trying to do 2-2.5 hours per night during the week but that is rarely accomplished and that could be down to my study schedule but is made significantly worse by not knowing what to study.

For context I do: english advanced, MX2, MX1, engineering studies, physics, and economics
physics textbook questions felt so useless to me lol. for me it was wayyy more worthwhile just to do past paper questions, just make sure u know the formulas and all before doing so otherwise its useless. we did get given nelsonnet and some other worksheets that were basically textbook questions but a bit better, and they were homework, so that was sort of how i got the baseline understanding before doing past papers. also i strongly advise writing notes, especially when ur teacher is talking as that really helps ur basic understanding (at least it did for me).

if u don't feel like ur doing enough then u gotta do more, no real way around it, unless if u find a way to study smarter not harder. if u are doing well and u just see that others are doing more, then no use in doing more though, so long as u are comfortable with ur level of achievement

Chiprr

HSC
physics textbook questions felt so useless to me lol. for me it was wayyy more worthwhile just to do past paper questions, just make sure u know the formulas and all before doing so otherwise its useless. we did get given nelsonnet and some other worksheets that were basically textbook questions but a bit better, and they were homework, so that was sort of how i got the baseline understanding before doing past papers. also i strongly advise writing notes, especially when ur teacher is talking as that really helps ur basic understanding (at least it did for me).

if u don't feel like ur doing enough then u gotta do more, no real way around it, unless if u find a way to study smarter not harder. if u are doing well and u just see that others are doing more, then no use in doing more though, so long as u are comfortable with ur level of achievement
My school does the same thing with physics in that we have the textbooks (didn't get given Nelsonnet) but we have ATOMI and get given sheets for homework. I do write notes in class (annoying that my teacher uses style for basically every lesson) but I might use our third task which is basically just summary notes as my main set (every syllabus dot point for module 5-7) so I can take notes ahead of class and build understanding in class as an addition.

I'm doing well in most of my classes (top 3 except english) but I go to a low ranking school which is the worry come HSC. I guess the guilt comes from doing well but feeling like I'm doing less than other people and the worry that it will bite me down the line.

I guess I'll have to spend a weekend or something compiling places to get resources to study from and places to answer questions for subjects so I have something to go back to when I need it.

Also, I know you didn't mention it, but is it better to have a study plan of 1 subject per day for longer or say 2 or 3 (the number of classes I have per day) for 45 mins to 1 hour?

Aeonium

HSC
N/A

for phys textbook questions are absolutely terrible — i'm pretty sure there are hsc compiled questions by topic on this site somewhere

liamkk112

HSC
My school does the same thing with physics in that we have the textbooks (didn't get given Nelsonnet) but we have ATOMI and get given sheets for homework. I do write notes in class (annoying that my teacher uses style for basically every lesson) but I might use our third task which is basically just summary notes as my main set (every syllabus dot point for module 5-7) so I can take notes ahead of class and build understanding in class as an addition.

I'm doing well in most of my classes (top 3 except english) but I go to a low ranking school which is the worry come HSC. I guess the guilt comes from doing well but feeling like I'm doing less than other people and the worry that it will bite me down the line.

I guess I'll have to spend a weekend or something compiling places to get resources to study from and places to answer questions for subjects so I have something to go back to when I need it.

Also, I know you didn't mention it, but is it better to have a study plan of 1 subject per day for longer or say 2 or 3 (the number of classes I have per day) for 45 mins to 1 hour?
depends how vigilant u are, but usually its better to be consistent so to avoid burnout id say it's better just to do 2-3 subjects for 1 hour a day. u can always ramp it up when it comes to assessment periods/trials/hsc

Chiprr

HSC
depends how vigilant u are, but usually its better to be consistent so to avoid burnout id say it's better just to do 2-3 subjects for 1 hour a day. u can always ramp it up when it comes to assessment periods/trials/hsc
Okay, thank you. My school does start doing exam style questions that get marked by teachers from the start of term 2 before school which should give me some extra time and feedback to do better.

Armon

HSC

Hey, what you're describing is almost exactly how I felt and it turned out fine with me getting a 99+ ATAR at a rank 550+ school. The problem is you've bought into teacher's unfounded notion that the only way to do well in HSC is to write and revise notes and do textbook work and blah blah blah. You don't need to do this stuff to do well in HSC. At the end of the day, what is going towards your hsc? Your internal mark distribution and your final HSC exam. Nowhere does "textbook work" or your notes come into that. You'll be assessed on your ability to answer exam style questions on the day, and the only way to actually prepare for that is to do past trial exam papers and in the lead up to the exam, past HSC exam papers (save them for later! Except Economics, theres a billion hsc papers for that lol). Writing notes is laborious and boring for a lot of people, and you're lucky that all of your subjects are application based and don't require much rote. I hated writing notes, so I never did it, and just used other peoples notes for chemistry and modern and received good Band 6s for both. All that matters is your ability to answer those exam style questions on the day. Keep practicing exam style responses from websites like thsconline and you'll do fine.

gmenoza

HSC
prooooooooooof??
Hey, what you're describing is almost exactly how I felt and it turned out fine with me getting a 99+ ATAR at a rank 550+ school. The problem is you've bought into teacher's unfounded notion that the only way to do well in HSC is to write and revise notes and do textbook work and blah blah blah. You don't need to do this stuff to do well in HSC. At the end of the day, what is going towards your hsc? Your internal mark distribution and your final HSC exam. Nowhere does "textbook work" or your notes come into that. You'll be assessed on your ability to answer exam style questions on the day, and the only way to actually prepare for that is to do past trial exam papers and in the lead up to the exam, past HSC exam papers (save them for later! Except Economics, theres a billion hsc papers for that lol). Writing notes is laborious and boring for a lot of people, and you're lucky that all of your subjects are application based and don't require much rote. I hated writing notes, so I never did it, and just used other peoples notes for chemistry and modern and received good Band 6s for both. All that matters is your ability to answer those exam style questions on the day. Keep practicing exam style responses from websites like thsconline and you'll do fine.

liamkk112

HSC
Proof of what?
i think of ur atar
idk why u need proof tho, school ranking doesn't necessarily dictate your hsc results (aside from obviously the environment of the school)

Armon

HSC
i think of ur atar
idk why u need proof tho, school ranking doesn't necessarily dictate your hsc results (aside from obviously the environment of the school)
There's always been a bias against low ranking schools, especially because teachers at such schools tend to be, well, suboptimal, but I feel as though it's a blessing in some ways. I didn't have to try at all and was basically given Rank 1 at everything and could spend my time doing work I felt was useful in class rather than work super duper hard on assessment tasks that aren't directly related to exam style questions/the hsc exam itself.

liamkk112

HSC
There's always been a bias against low ranking schools, especially because teachers at such schools tend to be, well, suboptimal, but I feel as though it's a blessing in some ways. I didn't have to try at all and was basically given Rank 1 at everything and could spend my time doing work I felt was useful in class rather than work super duper hard on assessment tasks that aren't directly related to exam style questions/the hsc exam itself.
yea i went to a pretty low rank school in vic in years 7-9, like literally the equivalent of 1 band 6 in the whole cohort of 300 people in most years but there were ocassionally a couple people who did super super well coz they basically had no competition, so their results were essentially just up to how much they pushed themselves to succeed in the final exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)