The Haber process: how much detail? (1 Viewer)

.ben

HSC
Do we have to know the background info on the Haber process? e.g the production of nitrogen/hydrogen and what reaction vessel/conditions the process takes place in? thanks:confused:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
.ben said:
Do we have to know the background info on the Haber process? e.g the production of nitrogen/hydrogen and what reaction vessel/conditions the process takes place in? thanks:confused:
Yes you do, refer to your textbook(s) for the info, they usually tend to cover the Haber process quite well.

Helstar87

HSC
I'm pretty sure that you need to know why the Haber process was first implimented, during war at times when the transport of nitrigen over disrupted seas was unfavourable. Check out success one chem, one of the long answer questions covers that dot point very well

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
These sucess one books seem very good resources. My chem teacher has one. Hmm i wonder if he will lend it to me

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
summarising the reasons why we have the haber process in the first place.

-extensive use of ammonia based products in society, e.g. TNTs, fertilisers, cleaning agents, etc...
-advent of WWI. germany's only supply of nitrate products come from chile. british naval blockade meant germany was starved of its supply of guamo. (i think thats how its spelt). had to find a way of getting nitrate products.
-developed the haber process to produce ammonia, forms the basis that can combine with other products to get nitrates. now, germany can feed its army better (with the help of fertilisers) and arm soldiers better with explosives (e.g. TNTs) and so prolonged WWI.

why did the process stay?
-germany wanted to become more independent (no need to rely upon chile for trading for nitrates)
-the haber process has become more efficient
-for its efficiency and productivity, it is a globally recognised process
-increase in demand for nitrates to develop more products (e.g. detergents, refrigerating agent, better fertiliser, as a food source for animals like fish, etc...)
-many people and businesses adopted the method, and so now it is widely used. ammonia is among the most produced chemicals in the world, including sulfuric acid, sodium hydroxide, etc...

hope this helps, M.D.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
You don't need the background or source of reagents.

Although the background is kind of interesting, and effortless to remember.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)