The Hardest Thing About The Hsc (1 Viewer)

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
What about:

The HSC ultimately depends on what u do at uni or careerwise. Based solely upon a few exams. (internal mean shit if u fuck up the exam)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
1 Having to witness all your 'previously cool' friends turn into loser nerds who talk incessantly about assessments and those 3 big bad letters. HSC

no fat chance. they have remained the same. so much for me remaining the same... but generally most of percieved nerds dont look like nerds anymore. everyone goes to them for answers now.

2 Having to relinquish much of your social life and any other activities/hobbies/employment for what is ultimately a SERIES OF EXAMS

well thats only partial i guess. you sort of need a balance. especially if before the hsc you were a very social person. in this case, you will need to do some social activities like me. these holidays i have tried to keep a few times for leisure, such as bowling with friends and party or two.

3 Having to stay at school surrounded by senseless fuckwits who have snot dripping from every possible orifice*

over exaggeration :D but people do become haggard from either lack of sleep or stress, or both...like me :D

3 Actually doing the required study and subsequent exams

i hope i finish the whole course for all my subjects. its not looking possible at the moment, though i will endeavour to get it done. but yes i have studied, in fact trippled my workload at least

4 The painful shame of becoming friends with the teachers and realising how much of a wanker you were in yr 8 for giving them so much shit

i was never a dickhead in my junior days. its been inverted actaully, due to my lack of sleep and energy for toleration.

5 Having teachers tell you 'you'll do so well at Uni' when you havent even applied or gotten in yet.

direct opposite. they are a optimisitc bunch...

6 Having to listen to whingers complaining about the inevitable instead of 'knuckling down' for some serious study (i.e. me)

they dont actually do it in front of me. however, i do whinge a lot about it as well. however, i also do something about it as well.

7 English advanced..... (where do I begin??) Having to answer open ended questions about vague issues which don't seem to have any tangible existence in the REAL WORLD...
i kind of like english, except the ambiguous marking critierea that my school gives us.

8 doubting your legitamacy as a fully certified teenager when you look in the mirror and realise how lame you and your life are, as you rack your brain to remember the last time you did something stupid/immature/childish/destructive or anything REMOTELY normal for a person your age.

well i have to agree on this one. i actually have matured significantly in the hsc year. so mcuh so that i scare myself and think that only a year ago i was doing that...
ive lost some of my personality behind it seems. the seriousness of the hsc is detrimental. the realisation that the real world is nipping at your heels and will inevitable bite you. that is the scary factor.

HSC
N/A
"nip in the bud" - taking care of something before it grows into a bigger problem that is more difficult to take care of later.

1) This happens... and chances are they'll stay like this for the rest of their lives. People change because of the HSC... but sometimes for the better! :D

2) wrong_turn has said it nicely. To have that happy balance, you need to have something that keeps you sane. Do not - I repeat, DO NOT - put yourself on a strict study diet. It's really only going to burn you out, or dehumanise you. Do study, but keep your head on at the same time. Whilst we have all had to cut down for our HSC, you can still do *something* - and you can pick up a lot of the things you dropped after the HSC again :D

- dude, what's with the dripping nose thing? ewww! -

3) I don't really think a lot of people study as much as they could have. What quite a few do, however, is study well in the time they have. The HSC is a pain in the butt. It really is. But then you finally do it :D and it's all over!

4) It's not shameful being friends with teachers. I'm *still* close to a few of my HSC teachers. Make up for past losses now - the end-of-term parties are worth it :D

5) The teachers might be right. Everyone tends to go on a downward spiral of pessimistic attitudes during the HSC. Whilst I normally think it's safe to assume the worst so you can be pleasantly suprised by the truth, it's more important to be realistic. If you are doing reasonably well, then you are. :)

6) Hahaha whingers... I used to be one. So long as you can turn it into positive activity, all is well. :)

7) How I hate English Advanced, and how I hate it still. Although it's not so much the modules themselves, but the competitive nature of the HSC. There is so much pressure these days to use fancy terminology and draw references to Barthe and Lyotard etc etc, but there isn't enough time factored into the syllabus to account for this. So, what happens is that you get all these terms and people shoved down your throat and forced to use them without actually finding out what the heck they are until Uni (and then, only if you continue doing english/sociology/critical and cultural studies). If you don't have a good teacher or good mentor, there is lots of whine about... grr. I don't like English Advanced. Think of it as a game... make all the right moves in the right way at the right time, and voila. Bitching about it only wastes time, unfortunately.

8) Teenagerhood, to me, is that transition between childhood and adulthood. A lot of people refer to the HSC as a rite of passage, and for a lot of people this is true. This is one of the more difficult obstacles but you can get over it :) And post-HSC life is beautiful, by the way... :D

tennille

HSC
LaCe said:
What about:

The HSC ultimately depends on what u do at uni or careerwise. Based solely upon a few exams. (internal mean shit if u fuck up the exam)
Not necessarily. If you don't do so well at uni, you can go through TAFE to get to uni. This may take a while, but it shows that your HSC isn't everything (It was definitely tough and stuff). Also, your UAI doesn't indicate how well you will go in uni.

On another note, try and balance between your social life and study timetable as wrong_turn mentioned. Over-studying can be as bad as not studying at all! You need to have a break from studying and thinking about the HSC every now and then. :)

HSC
N/A
Not only TAFE, but pathways and scholarships and non-award as well - lots and lots and lots of different ways you can do things :D

tennille

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Not only TAFE, but pathways and scholarships and non-award as well - lots and lots and lots of different ways you can do things :D
Exactly :)

FinalFantasy

HSC
countryprincess said:
ive hit a brick wall and i dont know what to do, can any1 help me, please
aww.. r u hurt?

what's troubling u?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
1. Having to witness all your 'previously cool' friends turn into loser nerds who talk incessantly about assessments and those 3 big bad letters. HSC.
I never really thought of year 12 turning us into 'nerds'. It was just normal to start putting more time into assessments and homework. I still talk to my friends about everything we used to talk about - of course we discuss assessments sometimes, but we always have, and now it just got better because we discuss the same ones.

2. Having to relinquish much of your social life and any other activities/hobbies/employment for what is ultimately a SERIES OF EXAMS.
This really bites. I go out a lot less than I used to, and I gave up most of my hobbies completely.

3. Having to stay at school surrounded by senseless fuckwits who have snot dripping from every possible orifice.
I don't see how that's relevant. Haven't you been around these people for years now? Were you not one of them? :rolleyes:

4. The painful shame of becoming friends with the teachers and realising how much of a wanker you were in yr 8 for giving them so much shit.
There's nothing wrong with becoming friends with teachers. After all, we're almost adults, and should probably be at the stage where we get over "teacher-cooties". They probably won't remember what you did in year 8 because they were too busy concentrating on year 12s. :p

5. Having teachers tell you 'you'll do so well at Uni' when you havent even applied or gotten in yet.
A little encouragement doesn't hurt anybody.

6. Having to listen to whingers complaining about the inevitable instead of 'knuckling down' for some serious study (i.e. me)
If you get angry at others for talking about 'knuckling down' for serious study, then you're probably in denial of being lazy. :p

7. English advanced..... (where do I begin??) Having to answer open ended questions about vague issues which don't seem to have any tangible existence in the REAL WORLD...
I'd have to agree that english advanced is mind-boggingly annoying. But bullshitting actually does get you somewhere, sometimes. :p

8. Doubting your legitamacy as a fully certified teenager when you look in the mirror and realise how lame you and your life are, as you rack your brain to remember the last time you did something stupid/immature/childish/destructive or anything REMOTELY normal for a person your age.
You seem too be nerdophobic. Escape the stereotype of the troublesome, forever-partying teenager. Year 12 is supposed to be a time where you give up some parts of your life to get into uni, where you can start relaxing and doing stupid/immature/childish/destructive things. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)