The Harsh Truths of the HSC (1 Viewer)

cherryboi

HSC
Dude, just trying your best is all that you can do.

If this "individual" is motivating you to work hard for the next couple of weeks then thats good. But if the thought of him is distracting you then believe me Ive had my share of experiences, and ive discovered that there is no point wasting your energy and happiness on people like those. Youve got to let it go. Throughout your life there are high chances that you will experience critics, but you have to learn to not take it that personally. If you think about what people are saying to you, you will realise thats its just a reflection of their deepest insecurities. Also uni hasn't even started yet, your thinking too far ahead in terms of HD WAM.

Lastly, You really shouldn't fear critics. You also have to not care about anyones opinion in times when they are insulting you rather than giving you constructive feedback.

Take Care man.

Last edited:

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Yet I still felt very strongly that I want to get into prestigious degrees straight away and if I realise I hate it, at least I have proven to myself an particular others that I cannot be a punching bag for anyone or a laughing stock... There is a particular individual especially that I very strongly want to prove wrong yet the process doesn't seem to be getting me there...
This is why I am scared about HSC, not really because I want to get into my degrees..... HD WAM is exactly for the same reason.....
Yeah nah I wouldn't recommend trying to prove yourself to others. In a years time you'll look back and wondered why you bothered wasting energy and effort to try and prove yourself to someone else, since nobody cares about your HSC once you hit uni, and nobody cares about your uni degrees once you hit the workforce (so getting a HD WAM to try and prove something to someone else is also just a complete waste of time and energy).

Most people who go into "prestigious degrees" do it for the same reason you mentioned, because they're "prestigious" - not because they're actually interested or passionate about that field. From experience, I'd say about 90% who go into med or law just do it because they have the mark and it's "prestigious" (and many of them lie to themselves to justify the belief that they're doing it for the right reason). As a result, some people either switch degrees after a year, or grind it through to the end since they don't want others to think that they couldn't "hack it", and so they end up working a 9-5 job they don't really like. Some of my friends are teachers who love their job, and some are lawyers who hate their job (or find no satisfaction in it). You don't want to end up being in a field you hate all because you wanted to enrol into a "prestigious" degree to prove yourself to someone else (whether it be friends, foe, or family).

Last edited:

brbstudying

HSC
Bombing out on one assessment task/exam will not ruin/impact your rank all that much, just as long as you pick it up for future tasks, you will be fine :)

whatafeeling

HSC
Harsh truth for me:
I basically lost all time for myself, focused on studying so much that i stopped exercising, started eating shit, gained weight, and felt shit about all my marks anyways. Mental health is shit too. I've basically forgot to how to live my life due to this year, and I'm not saying all HSC experiences are like this, but i know a lot of people who have put their life completely on hold. I know it doesn't matter in the long run, but that doesn't take off any of the pressure (for me at least).
I mean, even though i felt bad every time i'd get an assessment back, I did pretty okay, yet I was never told how much to study and i felt guilty every time i took study breaks, or took a day off. I mean basically I'm really exhausted, and this year has been a rollercoaster. I honestly feel sorry for everyone doing the HSC, and when i have kids, i ain't putting them through this torture because I've i got a sense of HUMANITY in me.

But BOS always made me feel better, ily guys :inlove:

Lumenoria

HSC
I completely lose my appetite around exam periods due to stress, and it's so bad because I cannot concentrate without the energy. I haven't pooed in 2 weeks lmao, I've lost about 10kg and it fucking sucks because I can't even walk up the stairs without fucking running out of breath. It pays off, because I've gotten 90+ for all my internals and am hoping for 95-97 ATAR ish. But at the same time, I felt that year 12 was the best year of my life, because the times where you're free from studying feel so amazing. After trials, I legit didn't have a sober weekend until last week lmao because there were so many 18th parties and omg it just felt so fucking good to loosen up a bit. So keen for the grind to be over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatafeeling

HSC
Damn, can't relate :( Studying was always on the back of my mind.
I would say it's the worst year of my life, this year and Year 11.
But honestly am happy for you if you feel that way and Good Luck

bjw22

HSC
yo guys, i slacked off for year 11 chem cause i had a bad teacher, could someone please tell me what concepts from year 11 will be tested in the hsc?
Calculations big time - make sure you understand moles very well
Make sure you understand the types of bonds that form - dispersion forces, dipole dipole
Briefly understand electronegativity
Make sure you 100% learn your solubility rules
Acid metal reactions are built on by galvanic cells
lewis electron structures are used in CFCs
Hydrocarbons - how to name them, built on greatly in year 12
Heat of combustion, certain prac in year 12 that is always in HSC
Essentially year 11 gives you the basic theory, and then you apply and extend it in year 12

Don't stress too hard, I slacked off a bit in year 11 chem (spent a bit much time ummmm *ahem* flirting and generally being a comedian) and have worked at it a lot more this year, remember it is a hard subject.

Last edited:

Black Elmo

HSC
Lol at least u slacked off doing something useful, good luck for ur hsc! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RyanT7

HSC
That although it is an important part in your life, it definitely is nowhere near as important as people make it out to be

Your education is only to get you through the door, not the factor that leads your entire journey.

bjw22

HSC
That although it is an important part in your life, it definitely is nowhere near as important as people make it out to be

Your education is only to get you through the door, not the factor that leads your entire journey.
Exactly right whereas tuning on the other hand is a worthwhile lifelong endeavor - hence my very "useful" slacking off in year 11 chem.

whatafeeling

HSC

Oath :headbang:

pistachioman

HSC
N/A
Dont waste too much money on textbooks. You never end up using them.

If i had my time again i would just buy a math textbook, and for chem and physics i would just borrow textbooks from my school or local library.

Oh well. Lesson learned for uni i guess. :eek:

This advice may not be suitable for the new syllabus though cause you may not have enough resources available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)