The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Juddy2250

Soon to retire...
HSC
Keen said:
HHGG is jus brilliant!

So looking forward to it and by the reviews it seems like it's going to be good - looking forward to this one and Star Wars Ep3 this year. (Ok maybe I'm a bit of a nerd)

Keen
There is nothing wrong with looking forward to the release of these 2 movies. Both have been a long time coming and as a fan of both I to look forward them. I would have to say the 5th book of the trilogy is the best. I mean who wouldnt love being a god just for making a good sandwhich!

Jono__

HSC
Release date

The release date is April 28th in Australia and New Zealand, a day later for the UK and US.

Does anyone know why we are getting it first? I'm guessing someone in the movie business got confused about timezones and didn't realise we are ahead of the UK and US...

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Probably has something to do with Douglas Adams love of our country...or not. He made us lose the ashes, made fun of our platypus and even made fun of our margarine companies.

Or possibly we're just very, very lucky.

Keen

MD
HSC
It's the same for Star Wars they release it on the same day but due to time zones we get it first (it's common with films that get the same worldwide release dates - which isn't so common).

Keen

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
I loved the books and the first movie so hopefully this re-make is half decent.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

taxman

make poverty
HSC
It's based on just the first book with added content not seen before in the books/radio series/tv shows/computer game/stage play. Film is the only medium h2g2 has never graced...and from the reports I've read, grace isn't the word to be used. It was said that the movie is very similar to the books with the main difference being that the movie isn't funny.

Will still be there on Friday night with a towel around my neck regardless of the reviews.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC

walrusbear

HSC
i thought it was competent but a lot of the comedy was lost

not too bad an adaptation really

persephone

HSC
i saw it today and it was very funny and i loved the song at the beginning of the film. and i love marvin!!!!

walrusbear

HSC
persephone said:
i saw it today and it was very funny and i loved the song at the beginning of the film. and i love marvin!!!!
marvin was done pretty cool eh
alan rickman as the voice really worked

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I wasn't a huge fan of Rickman as Marvin...I'm not sure what it was but ti didn't sound right to me...but in saying that, I've grown used to and loved the radio series and preferred the Marvin voice on radio. I still liked him though.

I really liked the film version. I thought it was very different to the book and radio series, but was a very good version of the 'story.' IMO, the h2g2 story suits the film medium perfectly and you could see this with all the sets and landscapes which were simply beautiful. A lot of shit was thrown around on the imdb boards about Hammer&Tongs being first-time directors, but I thought that their vision was gorgeous and really made the film. I loved Sam Rockwell as Zaphod...while it wasn't the same Zaphod I knew, it was still a very funny character (I absolutely cacked when he was dancing around on Viltvodle while getting shot at *peoo peoo peoo peoo!*)

Mos Def did an awesome job as Ford, the highlight being when he attempted to shake hands with a car assuming it was Earth's dominant life form. Martin Smith was a capable Arthur Dent...and Zooey Deschanel was gorgeous...I never realised how hot she was, but she really lit up the screen in all her scenes. Bill Nighy has been one of my favourite actors since Shaun of the Dead and Love Actually and I don't think anybody could have done a job as awesome as he for Slartibartfast.

LOVED the movie...and I'm not fussed at all about the changes made from the book/radio series...it's an excellent version of h2g2 and I'll be more than happy to see it again.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
taxman said:
LOVED the movie...and I'm not fussed at all about the changes made from the book/radio series...it's an excellent version of h2g2 and I'll be more than happy to see it again.
Thats what I'm afraid alot of old fans won't understand/like. This is just another appropriation. It is not an exact. Alot of fans are all like 'it's so different' or 'I don't like how it was done' but its just another version. I just saw it and thought it was good. It managed to reach several different audiences and entertain them. I really liked it but wouldn't say its the greatest.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
I found the movie very agreeable as well. The characters were all fleshed out well and the actors behind them fulfilled their roles wonderfully. Some of the special effects were actually pretty cool as well, I really liked when the cargo thing Arthur and Slarti travel on go through the gateway and onto the factory floor. Pure eye candy.
Some of the new additions weren't bad either like the Guide entry to the Point of View gun. Trillian never got captured in the book did she? It's been a while since I've read it.
I was hoping they'd show how stupid the Ravenous Blugblatter Beast of Traal was by having Trillian defeat it by closing her eyes but alas, it wasn't to be.
I loved it.

J

jhakka

That movie was so awesome!

Everyone loved Marvin. I loved the sperm whale. :D

mizosoup

HSC
I went inwith higher hopes than an ant and came out feeling disappointed and mourning for adams. But in retrospective, it was actually an excellent movie. Done exceptionally well, esp considering that they were first time film directors and all. Best two scenes were the wool one and when Arthur and Slartibartfast are moving along the factory floor

I think it just might have been the whole putting-a-story-where-there-is-no-story thing that put me off. I think that's it. The story was crap but the rest was excellent.

Less of a focus on Ford than I tohught there would be but then again, the critics say he couldn't act. He had cool towel though!

I love Marvin :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)