The HSC diary of a hay fever pill (1 Viewer)

zhertec

HSC
Hi, my name is Zhertec and I am currently in year 12 (1st term) and about to start the *cough* wonderful *cough* journey of the HSC.

School Rank: Top 20

Subjects:
English Advanced
Mathematics
Math Ext 1
Chem (accel, hoping to finish with a b6 this year, although have fairly crappy ranks)
Biology
Physics
Legal

Aims:
To achieve, if possible, an atar >99, though realistically I would be happy to obtain >98 for B. psych at usyd.

I'm hoping that social ridicule by the BOS community (from not doing anything) will aid in keeping me from under performing this year :3

P.S. Astroman, you should make a thread like this too :p

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Loving the title

All the best with this journal and your HSC studies :D

zhertec

HSC
Hayfever-in

Haha thanks guys for all the positive reinforcement xD So far I've done a small amount of work (gotta start somewhere right? :p)

19th October -
-Finished biology homework - stuff about enzymes and their optimal temperature, ph etc and cofactors yada yada.
-Thoroughly revised over HSC chem notes (though still need to go over it again lol)
- Wrote some "model" paragraph on the poem ulysses for Eng Adv.

20th October -
- Finished Legal studies homework on crime e.g. why people dont report crime, what are the implications of not reporting etc.
- Finished English advanced homework (past paper from cambridge dot point or something), atm just done the short response questions.
- Finished physics practical writeup on the pendulum prac and calculating "g".
- Continuing to study notes on chemistry and attempting to do some questions for my weakest areas (CMM and Industrial).

Hayfever-out

zhertec

HSC
Hey good luck for hsc year :)

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask me (if I can be useful lel) or any other BOS member, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help :)
haha thanks! And I do have a few questions :3 -
- How do you maintain motivation consistently? Cause for me it's really mountainous. One minute, so pumped to achieve my aims and goals; next minute brain goes HSCeebs, let's go to sleep now, sleeeeeep so yea, productivity fluctuates like crazy.
-How do you improve english from a b5 to a b6 level? Do I spam essays and correct them or something? Lol

Thanks!

Machiavelli1

HSC
haha thanks! And I do have a few questions :3 -
- How do you maintain motivation consistently? Cause for me it's really mountainous. One minute, so pumped to achieve my aims and goals; next minute brain goes HSCeebs, let's go to sleep now, sleeeeeep so yea, productivity fluctuates like crazy.
-How do you improve english from a b5 to a b6 level? Do I spam essays and correct them or something? Lol

Thanks!
The motivation thing is pretty common I think, mainly after assessment tasks ie trials you just can't be bothered working anymore. What worked for me was thinking about not getting into my preferred uni degree, but everyone is different. You should have an inner motivation for doing well. So find that and use it to motivate you.

Ok, English is pretty dodgy when it comes to how to improve and what to do etc. Writing essays is pointless if you don't know what you're doing. Depending on which approach you want to take, either Generic essays or the BSing approach(patented by HPF :p) your preparation will change.
For Generic Essays:
1. Find a broad question for your text. Chances are with the new syllabus there won't be many questions for you to practice on so you may need to formulate your own, or ask your teacher to make one for you.
2. Find 3-4 broad themes/ideas in your text that have some linkage to each other. You will need to read/watch the text for this step.
3. Write your essay answering the broad question and give to your teacher for marking(hopefully they are competent unlike my teacher :p)
4. Using their feedback continually refine your response into an A-Range response ie until they give you 20/20.
5. Now show your refined essay to other people(teachers, tutors, people on here etc) hopefully there won't be many changes to be made.
6. Now you need to practice moulding this essay to various questions both hard and easy. Again make them yourself or ask a teacher. Aim to mould to about 15 questions.
7. After you mould to a question highlight bits that sound weird and don't answer the question fully, these places you may need to refine your way of saying them in order to fit. Also give your moulded essay to your teacher to mark. Incorporate their feedback and keep resubmitting until its 20/20.
8. After doing this process repeatedly you should develop a knack on how to mould to any question and be confident in writing a high A-range response.

I'm not really an expert on BSing so I'll leave that to HPF, I think she has a bit about it in her guide to English.
One thing I must say is that you need to be prepared to put in a lot of effort to succeed especially if you're like me and not naturally talented at English.
If you have any questions about what I've said above or anything in general I'm happy to help :).

Last edited:

zhertec

HSC
Sorry all, just have been bombarded assessment after assessment, and tomorrow currently have 3u maths then on Friday I have both a viva voce for english + a creative, I'll be visitinh BOS more often after this exam period :)

Hayfever-out

zhertec

HSC
For the past few days (specifically 17-19/12/14):

Work progress is painfully slow >.< but this is what i've managed to do:
Read and analyse Act 1 Scene 1 of Richard III
Read 30 pages of prescribed module C Brooklyn
Mostly finished Cambridge Exercise 11E and 11F

and now working on Biology and Physics notes, both syllabus points 1.(whatever the syllabus is for that page is lol).

Hayfever Out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)