THE HSC: GOOD or BAD? THE FINAL SAY. (1 Viewer)

The HSC: good or bad

• It wasn’t worth it at all. The HSC is stupid.

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • I can see why we do it, but the trouble just isn’t worth it. The HSC is flawed.

Votes: 117 33.3%
  • It was hard, but worth it just to finish. The HSC is tolerable.

Votes: 171 48.7%
  • I loved every bit of the HSC year. The HSC is good.

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters

kangms

HSC
HSC is good. Good system. Only if i didnt bludge the whole year...Still, it's a good system, since it rewards the consistent-working people and not the night before exam studiers like me. People probably hate it since they're all bludgers.

runnable

HSC
Its a good system. We get enough freedom to choose what we do and we are treated fair enough. I prefer this to say A levels or IB program.

HSC
hahahaha one-hit wonders.
but yeah, i think its good...it means there isnt as much stress/pressure on us now which would make some people do badly.
also, it means we can be assessed on stuff like researching, not just on how much stuff we can remember and get down in 3 hours in a 'logical and sequential way'
though i think for some subjects theres too much content, like textiles where there is sooo much stuff to learn plus a major work, and a very large part of the stuff we're meant to know never gets tested.
also, i dont think english should be compulsory cause it really disadvantages some people.
but i think its pretty good :)

adnan91

HSC
runnable said:
Its a good system. We get enough freedom to choose what we do and we are treated fair enough. I prefer this to say A levels or IB program.
U kidding A levels are faaaar better than this. But hsc is mad but english being compulsory aint cool but meh its all gd

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
it should be over year 11 and 12.
Even better, over your whole school life.
Seperates the kids who can just afford a good tutor for 12 months.

runnable

HSC
adnan91 said:
U kidding A levels are faaaar better than this. But hsc is mad but english being compulsory aint cool but meh its all gd
Lol no... Been there, done that. Not good.

adnan91

HSC
runnable said:
Lol no... Been there, done that. Not good.
How did u do Alevels? Are u refering to learning A level material or the exam. Ive done Olevels from that im basing my opinon on alevels

cottonmouth

HSC
well... it sucks that english is compulsory.. as i hate it!

i thought i would be much more stressed.. but i wasn't really.. after i got the first one over with and the english.. the 3 last ones were a breeze!

gingyangel

HSC
cottonmouth said:
well... it sucks that english is compulsory.. as i hate it!

i thought i would be much more stressed.. but i wasn't really.. after i got the first one over with and the english.. the 3 last ones were a breeze!
yeah i agree, you relieve after you finish english
i think the whole HSC system calculating UAI, especially the scaling is confusing
but personally i enjoyed HSC, and then you realise how fast it past by

2008Premiers!

HSC
duck.fluff said:
it should be over year 11 and 12.
Even better, over your whole school life.
Seperates the kids who can just afford a good tutor for 12 months.
yer i think it should be over year 11 and 12. Coz year 11 is just a wasted year really coz everything you do doesnt count which sucks. It would then reward the kids who worked hard over the two years.

runnable

HSC
adnan91 said:
How did u do Alevels? Are u refering to learning A level material or the exam. Ive done Olevels from that im basing my opinon on alevels
Yea I did some O levels too and I know the format of A level study. I think HSC is better.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I can't choose any of the poor choices above. Why don't just give 3 basic options?

Anyhow, as long as you know how to extend and apply it, it's actually quite good.

knots&crosses

HSC
Overall, the HSC is good. The system is good and in the end its rewarding. However it is flawed.

the marking of standard english(even though i dont do it) is unfair, because the possibility to get a band 6 is almost impossible (at 0.7% or something). Also, people should be given stats like these, I'm sure it would change a lot of minds when considering subject selection.

the reporting system is a bit confusing. There are so many rumors that go around about marking and scaling. I think everything should be clarified by the board of studies. Also, raw marks should be available on a report, just to stop specualton. when people get used to having their raw mark printed, it wouldnt be weird.

I dont like the over competitiveness it brings out in people, but i guess thats necessary. Its kind of helped me decide which of my friends care more about me or beating me by half a mark in an assessment.

On a more positive note, i think the HSC learning system is brilliant. i doubt you can find such an array of courses in any other program. The number of languages as courses is incredible. Extension subjects are a gift, the ability to do major works, working independantly and taking a load off early is fantastic.

The resources available for HSC subjects is great. There is easy acces to papers, syllabuses, information and help.

runnable

HSC
I think its hard to be perfect. HSC does a pretty decent job.

YoungToby182

HSC
brad616 said:
YESSSS I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. DO YOU THINK ITS WORTH ALL THE SACRIFICES???

Which is more important having a close group of friends who you can trust and are true and will always be there for you or doing well in the HSC? I think they are both as important as each other thats what makes school and the HSC so challenging
id have to dissagree, friends and the right connections will get you MUCH further in life than any mark, in the hsc.

connections open many more doors, good results just make it a bit easier

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
I think it would've been 'bad' if I had tried to attain my previous goal of 97+ UAI. Seeing as I want to do Comm/Arts @ UNSW, I only need 90, so I really only lightly revised for a few hours before exams, and hence there wasn't that much stress and whatnot. Also, I enjoyed my ancient and ext eng exams :)

Oh, and I'm FREE IN <15 HOURS OHBABY

drobby

Pwnage
HSC
I rekon it didnt live up to expectations..
everyone always talked about the amount of home work you had and the work..
it never really came
also the hsc was built up to be heaps and it doesnt even seem like ive done (well i still have 2 exams left but still)..
so the poll didnt really suit my view

morning storm

HSC
12 Hours To Go!! Omgz

Edit: i would like to take this moment to thank boredofstudies. you have always been there for me when i felt like cheating.

jooookes the resource section is totally fair and never abused

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)