THE HSC: GOOD or BAD? THE FINAL SAY. (1 Viewer)

The HSC: good or bad

• It wasn’t worth it at all. The HSC is stupid.

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • I can see why we do it, but the trouble just isn’t worth it. The HSC is flawed.

Votes: 117 33.3%
  • It was hard, but worth it just to finish. The HSC is tolerable.

Votes: 171 48.7%
  • I loved every bit of the HSC year. The HSC is good.

Votes: 37 10.5%

• Total voters

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
The poll options aren't linear.

like, i havn't "loved every bit of the HSC year", but i still think the concept of HSC is definatly good.

also "I can see why we do it, but the trouble just isn’t worth it" =/= flawed.

maries

HSC
Too much pressure. People often say "these are the most important exams you will do in your life". But if they are, why do immature 17/18 yr olds have to do them. We are still kids. Some of the most intellectual and intelligent people i have met in my life have gotten like 50's/60/s for their HSC. I know a guy who has got a doctorate in maths and for his HSC, he got the equivalent what would be 50 for a UAI today.

And the whole fact of "its what school you go to that counts" is pretty shocking and disgraceful.

HSC
morning storm said:

It has a reputation comparable only to LORD VOLDEMORT!!

LOL.

drobby said:
I rekon it didnt live up to expectations..
everyone always talked about the amount of home work you had and the work..
it never really came
agreed!

morning storm said:
however it has equally been a time on friendships and new found responsibility and independence. friendships forged over the sports field, or msn 4 30 in the morning of an assessment. 18ths, parties, P plates. we will all take to our grave lame injokes and relationships we would have otherwise never made.
so what about the ppl that didnt have friends for the last year? i had the worst falling out of all time in year 11 that had a massive ripple effect that turned into everyone but one person hating me. well not liking me enough to talk to me anyway.
at the start of this year me and 2 of my friends had to move because the bullying was so bad. then one friend moved back because of some reason, so then the rest of the year it was me and one friend.
i didnt make any new friendships this year. in fact i unmade friendships.
and i am so happy to forget everything. i cant wait for a years time when i will have blocked that all out.

morning storm

HSC
jasonml said:
The poll options aren't linear.

like, i havn't "loved every bit of the HSC year", but i still think the concept of HSC is definatly good.

also "I can see why we do it, but the trouble just isn’t worth it" =/= flawed.
sorry i was very tired but did my best

please choose the one that fits best then

and vicki, im sorry you didnt have a great year. i was certainly trying to suggest the HSC's capacity to create a highly volatile environment in a time when people can be so mean to other people. you have my sympathy for the trouble it caused you. i can certainly see why such a situation would leave someone viewing the hsc as flawed or stupid.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
i will never accept the HSC in it's current state.

it is not a good thing.

by making a syllabus that is designed to be achievable by everyone they ignore the inherent differences in peoples intellectual capabilities.

the university entrance system is also flawed.

I hate the HSC now and I always will, unless they make some drastic changes.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
ayseayse said:
had the time of my life :spam:
If your honest your fucked.

because i highly doubt that the hsc directly resulted in you haveing the time of your life.

it was more or less the things happening around the HSC that would have led to your enjoyment of the passed year.

some people are assessing the HSC from the wrong perspective.

HSC
I didn't like the HSC.

My marks have been fantastic (I got a 98.55 on the UAI Estimator Version .11) but they haven't been what they should. The whole year I've been marked down because of my handwriting. I was told after the trials that one of the teachers hadn't bothered to read my essay, he just gave me a 13/20 because I wrote 8 pages. I was entitled to a laptop but my school didn't give it to me because of logistics problems.

I recieved a laptop for the HSC itself and am expecting a similar UAI to my estimate, but really whatever I get will smack with a possibility of how I could have done.

Not only that but I just encountered some shit teachers in some things. Heaps of kids jump on you for saying this 'OH BUT A GOOD KID CAN TEACH HIMSELF' - bullshit, the HSC syllabus is written deliberately vague by those with an academic background for teachers, most of which have lots of experience. Then you have to find your own notes, find your own time to work consistantly on it whilst going to school and studying for your other subjects.

But in comparison to the US our system's way better.

HSC
morning storm said:
and vicki, im sorry you didnt have a great year. i was certainly trying to suggest the HSC's capacity to create a highly volatile environment in a time when people can be so mean to other people. you have my sympathy for the trouble it caused you. i can certainly see why such a situation would leave someone viewing the hsc as flawed or stupid.
no no that wasnt my point.
i think the hsc is fine, whatever its just another exam for me with more stress.
i can understand it.
i dont think the HSC is stupid, but i just think its wrong to assume everyone made more friends this year or stronger friendships.
almost every speech by teachers at the graduation assembly said something like "the friends youve made this last year will stay with you forever" and it pissed me off so much.
i know most people did make more friends etc but there are others that had everything ruined.

HSC
in the subjects where you can pretty much write pre-prepared essays, its pretty silly.
but then for subjects where it tests you on your ability to apply knowledge, not just remember it, its good :)
but yeah, all up its a good system, although i agree that there should be less confusion/hiding of things like scaling.

Kanny

HSC
the exams + essay WERE stupid, but its the memory of you slaving away every night at those, and the people u met, the friends u made and the guys that helped u to the course you are doing now that makes it worthwhile and memorable.

sorry i dont do punctuations :p

Baggygreen408

HSC
morning storm said:
Alas, with the end of exams nearing for all of us, the boardofstudies and NSW government is once again sending over 60000 students across NSW out into the world
The HSC

It has a reputation comparable only to LORD VOLDEMORT!!

For the vast majority of us, it has consumed at least the last year of our lives

Although there can hardly be any real 'common experience', by most accounts, the term 'bittersweet rollercoaster' says a lot. as so elegantly put by communistpanda,

"It was the best of times, It was the worst of times."​

it is a year of despair and defeat,
a year of soaring highs

for most of us, we have probably learnt more than we ever have or will in a single year. we will have completed dozens of exams and assessments- many of them useless. early mornings. all nighters. annoying kids at school. weeks where you have 5 assessments. bad teachers. poor school policy. stress. deadlines. sleep. homework. health issues. major works.

however it has equally been a time on friendships and new found responsibility and independence. friendships forged over the sports field, or msn 4 30 in the morning of an assessment. 18ths, parties, P plates. we will all take to our grave lame injokes and relationships we would have otherwise never made.

for many of us, it will have been the most stimulating, influential, painful, and memorable year of our lives. it will have affected us in subtle and profound ways, that will only become apparent as we become crotchety old men and women.

so, before time passes and clouds our judgement with deceptive nostalgia and poignant memories, cast your vote...

THE HSC

Considering your last year at school, is the HSC good or bad?

dmn man, im jjust inspired by ur speech... ive got it all ahead of me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)