The Idiot’s Guide to studying just prior to, and during the HSC exams (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
bernie bro said:
man u got problems.. uv alredy finished skool and ur still on this site... get a life ur not even doing ur hsc as if u relli giv a f*** how we go in the hsc newayz.. so shutup u bloody geek and u giv pedo advice... and yehhhhhh
This forum is not only dedicated to school, but it also caters for university discussion (I know the concept of university may be foreign to you... but anyway) and general discussion related to a wide range of topics.

And this may come as a shock to you, but some people actually enjoy being nice and helping others.

Thanks Glitter.:)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Great thread here!! Thanks again Miss Glitterfairy.

I'll add a few more tips.

Few Days Before The Exam
Do say yes to these questions. (housekeeping matters)

1/ I am certain of the exam timetable and my exams' venues and times so I won't get lost on my way.

2/ I am aware of the format and have familiarised with the style and layout. (It'd be a big shocka if you found out for the 1st time on the day of paper 1 that you had to do a creative writing piece)

3/ I have looked after myself by eating and sleeping well as well as being physically fit.

4/I know what is required and have gotten what I didn't have. (pens, rulers, calcs)

Night Before

1/Transport to school all planned as well as all equipment

2/ Sleep tight and have sweet dreamz.

3/ Try to relax and calm yourself down when in bed otherwise you won't sleep well.

During the exam
1/ Allocate time according to the marks. (the amount of time spent on a question must be proportional to the number of marks its worth). If you can, aim to finish a question in less than what is required.

Example- do each of the paper 2 questions in under 40 minutes (not exactly because you'd be surprised to know that some people don't even finish a question or worse, they don't attempt it at all).

Say to yourself- by the 1.5 hr mark (or 1 hr mark), I would have done half the questions.

2/ Keep track of time. Don't lose it. (If it makes you nervous then don't look at it)

3/ If you get over-stressed, chances are that you're not going to be writing efficiently so take a few deep breaths and slow down then get back your pace.

4/ Keep your eyes on the exam throughout rather than on your planned holiday afterwards.

Crashy19

HSC
thankyou so much
this has allowed me to calm myself even more for this year
thank

ch0c0L8MooSE

HSC
hey thanks
i'm doing my trials at the moment and that's really gonna help

HSC
im pretty certain i screwed 2 of my trial papers up... but you saying that the trials are way harder than the HSC papers makes me feel a little better!

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
wow i've heard that the trials and the HSC are about the same *sigh* oh well
OMG YOU ARE FANTASTIC I LOVE YOU THIS IS GOLD I WILL PRINT IT AND CUSTOMISE IT FOR MYSELF AND POST IT ON MY WALL AMONGST OTHER POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS AND STICK TO IT!!!
but you've also made me nervous, 42 days till the hsc and i haven't started re-revising
so sick of studying
but i know i must

dam10

HSC
:).. why did the hsc have to exist ? what has it created other then crazy.. stupid.. stressed.. paranoid people! im succumb to doing nothing as a result of the hsc which is exam after exam after exam then in the end only 1 counts?

Jackie90

HSC
cool! thanks that's alot of help.. Lucky I saw this thread.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
you know what's funny , everytime i visit this thread i suddenly feel inclined to write up study notes...
it serves its purpose then!

sif

HSC
I posted this in another sticky and need some insight into this.

For the trials I have written out my notes for each syllabus dot point for my science subjects with no dot point missed and each summarised. The problem is that for most dot points I have an understanding of them but not a very thorough knowledge of them and I'm afraid that when it comes to a high marker (10+), I won't be able to maximise my marks.

So for preparation for the HSC, would it be better if I re-write my notes for each dot point then revise and look over past papers OR should I just read/revise over my notes and study what I have problem understanding/remembering and start on past papers ?

The problem is that re-writing my notes would take sooooo much of my time but just reading over my notes might not be enough to understand or remember what is needed .. any suggestions ?

sif

HSC
sif said:
I posted this in another sticky and need some insight into this.

For the trials I have written out my notes for each syllabus dot point for my science subjects with no dot point missed and each summarised. The problem is that for most dot points I have an understanding of them but not a very thorough knowledge of them and I'm afraid that when it comes to a high marker (10+), I won't be able to maximise my marks.

So for preparation for the HSC, would it be better if I re-write my notes for each dot point then revise and look over past papers OR should I just read/revise over my notes and study what I have problem understanding/remembering and start on past papers ?

The problem is that re-writing my notes would take sooooo much of my time but just reading over my notes might not be enough to understand or remember what is needed .. any suggestions ?
Anyone ?

starrysky

HSC
^^^ Get some past paper books. If you're doing Biology, it's probably the most straightforward. Keep your notes as they are, then do a past paper or two, in time constraints and exam conditions. Then check the answers - and compare them to your notes. Generally, it's a lot of memorisation, so look at the answers, highlight in your notes the key information that is needed for the question, then have a summarised, general knowledge of each dot point as back-up so you won't get thrown off by any possible questions.

Remember that the markers are looking to give you marks, so if you're worried about not being able to get the maximum points, re-write your notes and pay attention to detail. Past papers are a great resource.

That's what I've found to be a great help in Bio study. :)

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
This thread is kind of old now, but thanks so much for all that advice.
Definately motivational =)

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
OMG thank you sooo much! I'm a right royal Little Miss Studious now. =]

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)