The importance of "Legal Studies" (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I don't do Law, but having seen some of what the law kids are doing right now, doing Legal will just mean that you learn slightly less in the first semester than everyone else. I'd imagine after that it won't be much help, so it really isn't an advantage.

edit: That said, Legal is an awesome subject to do anyway :)

Last edited:

slab

HSC
I disagree.
Whether or not you're not pursuing a career in law, having a good understanding of how the law works is great, and legal studies imo gives you just that.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I disagree.
Whether or not you're not pursuing a career in law, having a good understanding of how the law works is great, and legal studies imo gives you just that.
Well thats fine and dandy if you're not interested in studying law but the point of the thread is whether or not you would be disadvantaged in uni for having not taken HSC legal studies.

Honestly, you would not be. Perhaps the person who has taken it doesn't need to do a few of the preliminary readings or is able to finish a tute paper a little more quickly, but in the end it's pretty doubtful that the people who didn't take legal in the HSC would struggle any more than those who did.

Last edited:

Existential

HSC
N/A
well i said "perhaps". you are entitled to your opinion - but that doesn't mean it's right - and not everyone agrees with you (see below).

Legal studies helped prepare me for law. If I hadn't done legal studies I would have been lost, especially in my first few weeks.
Legal is an awesome subject to do anyway :)
I disagree.
see? lol.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
That's normally how I can tell that I'm right.
I lolled

I didn't do legal studies and hey, look, I'm in my fourth year at Melbourne and doing fine. From what I've seen of legal studies stuff, at least in Victoria, it's the kind of information they teach you as background knowledge in the first few weeks. A couple of non-assessable lectures in the span of 3/4/5 years is seriously not worth doing a subject unless you like it in and of itself, or it's going to get you a great mark to get into the course.

Existential, I'm not sure where you're getting your certainty from. You're not doing a law degree. We are!

Existential

HSC
N/A
I lolled

I didn't do legal studies and hey, look, I'm in my fourth year at Melbourne and doing fine. From what I've seen of legal studies stuff, at least in Victoria, it's the kind of information they teach you as background knowledge in the first few weeks. A couple of non-assessable lectures in the span of 3/4/5 years is seriously not worth doing a subject unless you like it in and of itself, or it's going to get you a great mark to get into the course.

Existential, I'm not sure where you're getting your certainty from. You're not doing a law degree. We are!
im not saying i have a better understanding than you - but i will not agree that there is no relevance and no link between the two.

i satisfy the bolded. despite how much legal studies relates to a law degree i still think it is a worthwhile subject.

your not going to convince me otherwise

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I think the question was, will the OP be at a disadvantage in a law degree down the track. Doing a subject because you like it or because it will get you a good mark applies to any of them.

Existential

HSC
N/A
I think the question was, will the OP be at a disadvantage in a law degree down the track. Doing a subject because you like it or because it will get you a good mark applies to any of them.
im only talking about legal studies here.

jamima1986

HSC
I didn't do legal studies. Went to uni freaking out about it. Ended up topping most of my law assessments in first year. You don't need legal studies at all.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Existential said:
arrogant much? that statement has no merit anyway. it's YOUR OPINION and it's killing you to realise that your not always right.
It has merit because it's my opinion.

im not saying i have a better understanding than you - but i will not agree that there is no relevance and no link between the two.
My experience indicates there's a link between a person's grasp of basic grammar and spelling and their chances of getting into law.

Let's call the question of the benefit of legal studies a dead issue, shall we?

Existential

HSC
N/A
I didn't do legal studies. Went to uni freaking out about it. Ended up topping most of my law assessments in first year. You don't need legal studies at all.
i know WE DONT NEED IT.

but IT CAN HELP FOR SOME PEOPLE (not everyone as evident in this thread).

okay?

Existential

HSC
N/A
It has merit because it's my opinion.

My experience indicates there's a link between a person's grasp of basic grammar and spelling and their chances of getting into law.

Let's call the question of the benefit of legal studies a dead issue, shall we?
my experience shows that you are almost the only person on bos who bothers to use capitals. let's not comment on grammar on bos - some of the most intelligent people on bos type freely and make grammatical errors. who cares? writing skills in cyberspace has no link to getting in law. in fact, writing in legal studies has a better link.

the only reason this is a dead issue is because you think you're 100% right in all circumstances in this thread. again, you have the experience, but as evident in this thread, others with the experience also commented against you. so it depends on the person. you can accept that, or make pathetic snappy remarks as you continue to do, refusing to believe that your not 100% correct.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Look man, i think you really need to relax. No one is saying it's a shit house subject, only that the OP need not freak out for not having done done it.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Look man, i think you really need to relax. No one is saying it's a shit house subject, only that the OP need not freak out for not having done done it.
+1. Also the few people I know who took legal studies during High School (and ending up getting State Rankings) said that it gave them the upper hand. However, after 2-3 weeks, they felt like the rest of us, having no clue whatsoever as to what was happening. Foundations of Law usually covers most of the Legal Studies course in a short period of time.

So all in all, yes it is useful and advantageous but in the end, it all balances out. University is a whole different ball game.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
sorry i did :eek:

danielle..

is awesome.
HSC
just finished my first semester of law and i was at no disadvantage because i hadn't done legal studies. i was pretty worried about it at first though, but i ended up being equal to or ahead of most of the people in my class anyway. the only way the legal studies kids were advantaged were that they weren't afraid to put up their hands and contribute because they already knew a few things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)