• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The indie/progressive/experimental rock thread (1 Viewer)

The Savage God

HSC
Right. This here's a thread for people who don't exactly buy into the whole pop/rock thing going on right now, who like music that actually sounds new and inventive (goodness gracious me, can it be true?). Music with a bit of intelligence behind it that requires a bit of patience to grasp the full complexity of the sound and the message.

Discuss underground movements in the art, favourite bands, songs, lyrics, themes, sounds etc. Waxing lyrical is highly recommended (pun not intended). Complaining about "crappy pop" is also endorsed.

This is going to be a minority thread in this forum by the looks of things.

I'll start off with a list of favourites and (relatively) well known artists.

Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Arcade Fire
The Dirty Three
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Sigur Ros
Flatstick
Camel
Caravan
Opeth
Slint (incredibly highly recommended. If they hadn't broken up, they would have become the next Nirvana, only more emotionally charged)
The Mars Volta

So, thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Complaints? Whatever?

stamos

sellout
HSC
that was my favorite part also

edit: you don't go do scots do you kiddo?

The Savage God

HSC
Snickers will no doubt erupt when I actually dignify your comments with a response, but a clarification is requested as to each of your statements.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The Savage God said:
Music with a bit of intelligence behind it that requires a bit of patience to grasp the full complexity of the sound and the message.

I'll start off with a list of favourites and (relatively) well known artists.

Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There Lyrics

Is there anybody out there?

Yep, they're incredible. Really had to grasp the complexity of that.

icecreamdisco

HSC
bill callahan (smog) once said slint destroyed rock'n'roll.

i mean, i love spiderland as much as the next guy, but he might be right.

stamos

sellout
HSC
The Savage God said:
Snickers will no doubt erupt when I actually dignify your comments with a response, but a clarification is requested as to each of your statements.
your writing style sounds like martin prince from the simpsons

The Savage God

HSC
There is an unfortunate issue that plagues most forums on the net: an unusually high concentration of vermin and carrion eaters devoid and incapable of any real thought beyond what is prescribed by popular culture and what can be expressed in unpunctuated and grammatically incorrect sentences constructed entirely of monosylabic words. Any potential for constructive discussion is crushed in the presence of these types of individuals.

I suppose it was too much to hope that a forum endorsed by the education system would be spared.

walrusbear

HSC
The Savage God said:
There is an unfortunate issue that plagues most forums on the net: an unusually high concentration of vermin and carrion eaters devoid and incapable of any real thought beyond what is prescribed by popular culture and what can be expressed in unpunctuated and grammatically incorrect sentences constructed entirely of monosylabic words. Any potential for constructive discussion is crushed in the presence of these types of individuals.

I suppose it was too much to hope that a forum endorsed by the education system would be spared.
monosyllabic

HSC
The Savage God said:

you're the next thom yorke!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)