the individual and society (1 Viewer)

jessica.ann

HSC
I just got back my last essay for this module on Pride and Prejudice
i got a pretty bad mark, mostly because I did not define what was an individual in this society as everyone is an individual

can anyone help me??

how should i define this individual, in the case of Elizabeth, Darcy, Mrs Bennet, Mr Bennet etc

thanks

jessica.ann

HSC
Q: How do these sequences (the netherfield sojourn and elizabeth and the gardiners at pemberely) from simon langtons's adaptation of Jane Austen's P&P explore the position of the individual within the society of the early 19th century England?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
jessica.ann said:
Q: How do these sequences (the netherfield sojourn and elizabeth and the gardiners at pemberely) from simon langtons's adaptation of Jane Austen's P&P explore the position of the individual within the society of the early 19th century England?
Hmm, that is tough. But i guess it was your first assesment task and that you had not done another test so it's realy specific. I'll have to ask one of my friends because i never did do P&P into great detail. I used N&S and Doll's House instead.

But it is pretty clear that Elizabeth Bennet is the I&S as she defies societal constraints and constricitons emplaced on women. I think i'll have to watch a bit of P&P to refamilirise myself with these chapters for me to help you any further.

Last edited:

jessica.ann

HSC
thats alrite
thanks for your help
ive been going through some 'academic' hand outs that my teacher gave us ages ago
at the time i didnt understand them but they are making a bit more sense

i think the fact that i didnt say that being an individual was seen to be dangerous in this society pulled my mark down heaps

i got 60%.., which wasnt the bottom mark but yeh i dunno i wud have wanted more
the top mark was 85% so hard marking

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
jessica.ann said:
thats alrite
thanks for your help
ive been going through some 'academic' hand outs that my teacher gave us ages ago
at the time i didnt understand them but they are making a bit more sense

i think the fact that i didnt say that being an individual was seen to be dangerous in this society pulled my mark down heaps

i got 60%.., which wasnt the bottom mark but yeh i dunno i wud have wanted more
the top mark was 85% so hard marking
Not so much dangerous but they undermine the 'social-fabric' of their society.

My friend chucked out all of his I&S stuff(sorry), he got full marks for the major assessment task on P&P, it was sorta of a waste that he did.

Last edited:

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Hey

If youre still interested in any advice I think these two scenes really show a good comparison at the Netherfield Ball Elizabeth refuses to dance with Darcy and a male which really defies the position of a woman while with the Gardiners she really appreciates Darcy more as she learns of him and when this happens shes actualyl becoming more confined to societal expectations. Most of the texts you encounter wil lhave the individual but they eventually succumb to society there are a few exceptions like A Dolls House but yeah thats my opinion on this essay type question anway.

Hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)