The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ARGH i have to start and finish north and south in two weeks! i hope its a good book, i hear ppl have been raving about it so if its a good read then i wont mind...

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I have an assessment task to do about how Langton explores the position of individuals within society and reflect on the values of their time. I'm not too sure how to answer this question, so any help would be appreciated!

Would you guys say that only Elizabeth and Darcy are individuals within their society? Would anyone else be?

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
Would you guys say that only Elizabeth and Darcy are individuals within their society? Would anyone else be?
def. not!! most of the characters are individuals withing their society. Mr Bennet is the victim of his society as he married a silly woman who didn't produce an heir. thats just one one example. almost everyone could be used...

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
so i shouldn't just talk about Lizzie and Darcy? I mention other characters of course, Charlotte, Collins....but its only 1,500 word limit, and im finding it hard to talk about everything in such a small word limit.

clerisy

HSC
1500 is pretty small... I'd say focus on Lizzy and Darcy, though also using Charlotte, Lady de Bourgh, Miss Bingley etc to represent/discuss how that society is conformed with (and then how Langton presents these characters-- or in Charlotte's case, her choices-- as negative)... if you have got room to breathe after all that, it might then be nice to discuss the more ambiguous positions of Mr and Mrs Bennet and/or Mr Bingley and/or Lydia and/or anyone else who I can't be bothered to think about right now.

clerisy

HSC
I'm going to waste time and space sending out a pointless call again:

anyone out there doing Portrait of a Lady?

I can't wait until we get cracking on A Doll's House. Then I'll have something in common again!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by clerisy
1500 is pretty small... I'd say focus on Lizzy and Darcy, though also using Charlotte, Lady de Bourgh, Miss Bingley etc to represent/discuss how that society is conformed with (and then how Langton presents these characters-- or in Charlotte's case, her choices-- as negative)...
Oh, cool! That's exactly what I've done. lol Thanks everyone!

GronK

Gee my class hasn't even started Pride and Prejudice yet... we have only done Browning's poetry and A Doll's House... i feel like we are so far behind... and we still aren't starting P&P for a long time... we are watching a film of something... i forget what it's called.... I dont think we will ever finish P&P... I don't even have any related texts either.... besides Little Women.... and i only finished that just before my half yearly exam... i need a good text with alot of available information and quick... anyone got any good suggestions? I hate novels too... snce year 10.. with all the books we ahev had to read... i have only ever finished one... and that is because we read it in class...I just can't get interested... so if anyone has any good INTERESTING related material.... it would be greatly appreciated!!!
:D

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
Hey I don't know if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know any 19th century films for I&S?
I don't know. With film, does it have to have been adapted from a C19th text like P&P or can it just be set then? Because it seems to me that if its written by a more modern 'composer' than it doesn't really fit in with the "Text and ways of thinking" topic, does it? The composers 'way of thinking' is influenced by their own modern context as opposed to a C19th one...

But then if we're only restricted to adaptations of original texts, that's kind of rude, isn't it? I mean, there's a wealth of them out there (far more than films just set in the nineteenth century, I guess) eg Little Women (if anyone's interested, I much prefer the Katharine Hepburn version over stupid Winona Ryder), Age of Innocence, Daniel Deronda, Importance of Being Earnest, Wuthering Heights... but I feel sort of like a cheat then, taking the easy way out and watching the film rather than reading the original. I probably SHOULDN'T feel like that-- after all, they endorse doing the P&P film over the book, so it doesn't MATTER, but I do.

Which is why I have currently ignored the film medium.

(Sorry if what I wrote doesn't make any sense!)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
no, lol, you make sense! I think you can do either type of films, seeing as though P&P is adapted. I'm thinking of doing Anna and the King as I've been told it depicts I&S. Les Miserables maybe?

Little Women is great - do u think it's sophisticated enough?

clerisy

HSC
Anna and the King-- that's a good one, I hadn't thought about that.

I don't see why Little Women couldn't be sophisticated enough... of course, it all depends on interpretation. I think any text you could interpret more lightly or more impressively, and Little Women definitely has the scope to do a deeper analysis...

hscfreak

HSC
Hey everyone! I'm doing Pride & Prejudice, Browning's poetry and A Doll's House. We have already completed P&P and Browning's poetry and this term we are starting A Doll's House.

For my 2 texts I have chosen (subject to change as I haven't read them yet) Wuthering Heights and Little Women (both are of the book version). Do you think that I should maybe change one of them to the movie version? Becuase I've heard that it is probably better to do 2 different types of texts, ie. novel and film. What do you all think?

Also I have a representing task due in Week 2 of this Term. It is a representing task worth 20%!

We have to pretend "that our advertising company has been employed to create a poster promoting an educational seminar for Year 12 students on the poetry of Robert Browning for the topic Individual and Society.
Your company has been chosen because of its high quality imaginative graphic work. In preparing this poster, you may use pictures from magazines and newspapers, or make up your own. Computer generated pictures are acceptable but not of the 'clip art' kind."

There is also a writing part to it, explaining the choices we made etc...

So, has anyone got any tips for websites to use, or what to do or aything at all to help me with please? Because I have no magazines, so that rules that part out!

clerisy

HSC
I'd die if I had your assessment task... far too artistic for my liking (and considering most of my class is very artistic, I can imagine I would come last by a landslide)

About the medium of related texts, I've always been unsure about that. I know its important to have a variety in English Advanced, even within the prescribed texts, but I'm not sure if its so important in Extension... after all, in the prescribed texts we could be doing both Norht and South and Portrait of a Lady-- two novels-- anyway, couldn't we? I'm pretty awful at any sort of visual analysis, so I'm sticking to poetry and books myself.

I realise I have not given you any proper answers... basically, since you're not doing a novel for a prescribed text, I think it should be okay. But check with your teacher anyway...

clerisy

HSC
From the HSC 2003 Notes from the Marking Centre:

"Critical theories and theorists were well used in the better responses in supporting candidates' arguments... The better candidates were able to achieve a synthesis of theoryand texts."

and

"The choice of texts that were either not composed in the specific historical period or could not be appropriately linked to the historical period was disadvantageous to candidates as it prevented them from including relevant philosophical or theoretical analysis."

So, for example, what "critical theories and theorists" apply to P&P or A Doll's House (ie the texts I am doing that others are also doing!)? What do you interpret "philosophical or theoretical analysis" to be?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
god, the syllabus is freakin hard to understand!!

I'm assuming that critical theories and theorists relate to Critical Essays written particularly for A Doll's House and P&P. I've got a list of critical essays for both the film and the play, so if you want to know them just PM me, and I'll send them to you

And I'm taking the second quote to mean that if you don't use a related text that was composed in the 19th century then you're at a disadvantage.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Im doing A Dolls House, Browning (does anyone else complately thinkhow delightfully harrowing Porphyria's Lover is?) and North and South (Which I find the Industrial bits soooo boring). For my first assessments I had to do 3000 words on the changing paradigms (economic, scientific, religious and philosophic) of the 19th century. My second assessment:uhoh: :uhoh: was an oral on how one of our prescribed texts and another related one reflect the notion of the individual in his/her social contexts and to evaluate how the values of that era affected the text on how it was written and recieved. It gets better: they examined us to see if we actually listened by making us write afterwards (assessable) a reflection statement on the speeches of our peers and what we have learned.:hammer: They're putting us trough the grinder...I only think its going to get worse....

keladry

lady knight
HSC
i'm doing P&P, Browning and A Doll's House, but since we spent 2 frickin terms on Browning, and started P&P this term...we are so far behind schedule =P

my related texts so far are The Picture of Dorian Gray and i'm thinking Jane Eyre but i'm not sure if i should do another novel. btw, i heard that the Wuthering Heights film version (i'm not sure which one) was really good since it stuck closely to the book. my friend is doing it and she absolutely loves it.

how much will you write in the hsc? and will you talk about all six poems (for Browning) and all six eps of P&P? and how on earth are you going to integrate everything?!?!

i'm getting a headache just thinking about it :(

Last edited:

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Hey, who here is doing the individual and society? We are, and I have liked it so far. Our texts are Browning's poetry, A Dolls House and P&P... What are you doing for your related texts? I've got Vanity Fair and I have to choose another one soon..... really soon lol.

I'm doing the same as you, except we have Browning's poetry last.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)