The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
lol. how about we agree to swoon together!?!
sounds like a plan to me...besides, we have to make the most of the next 10 weeks, after that our swooning can no longer be considered educational:)

Kimba

Hey we are also doing those three texts! They are extremely common! i loved Browning esp Porphyrias lover! Ahahahahahaha!

For my related we were asked to do a 19th century novel, Huckleberry Finn, and something else, so i did Quills the movie! Its rough around the edges but as an individual in society, is really good! Good luck with it! One would hope that by now you have related materials!!

Azariel

Yeah, Browning is pretty awesome. I love Poryphia' s Lover as well. Very Twisted. I think Browning is the most effective texts because you can take the whole individual in society thing from his poems as well as the man himself, that is, in regard to his renaissance values. Two for the price of one. A Dolls House is the easiest... 'I have to decide which is right, society or me' (Nora is my hero, she is the queen of HSC quotes) and i just hate P&P. Stoopid Jane Austen and me aren't on speaking terms. But I like Colin Firth...

Jinglebell

HSC
you might wanna think twice before dissing our miss austen round here...some of us happen to be quite in awe and admiration of our namesakes...that, and i get quite enough austen-bashing from my english teacher (is there something wrong when you like your texts more than an english teacher? it just seems kinda strange...)

but yes. moral of story: you wanna make friends with the geeks, less knocking of their heroes:)

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by Jinglebell
you might wanna think twice before dissing our miss austen round here...some of us happen to be quite in awe and admiration of our namesakes...that, and i get quite enough austen-bashing from my english teacher (is there something wrong when you like your texts more than an english teacher? it just seems kinda strange...)

but yes. moral of story: you wanna make friends with the geeks, less knocking of their heroes:)
here here i second that.

There shalt be no dissing of P&P in my or Jinglebell's prescence!

Azariel

Bah. Each to their own I guess. P&P is just a little to convenient for my tastes. Elizabeth Bennet is convenienly individualistic and I don't think she's worthy of the hero worship that some bestow on her.
And how would austen know about individuals is society?
She spent her life as a recluse in her richly furnished house writing novels about silly little girls going to parties and picking out dresses!!!
But hey! No hostilities intended. Just a differing of opinion. I find all jane austens stuff infuriating. She spent her life away from society so therefore she is writing about stuff she knows nothing about. And I have to study her crap!! Arrgghhh... and i want someone to do my HSC for me.....

Jinglebell

HSC
can't help but extricate myself from my fascinating jane austen biography to point out that jane austen didn't spend her life away from society, she spent a good deal of her life well and truly IN society...she wasn't a recluse and hardly possessed a richly firnished house...and she chose not to marry for money (as we all should know would have been expected of her), making her an individual. and like she knows nothing about life in her society...she's living there isn't she?

i'm done being picky now...and although i respect your opinion, the book-geek in me resents the use of the word crap. completely away from austen for a moment, i don't think there are many literary works that can be honestly described as crap. not to certain people's tastes maybe, but definitely not crap. end librarian/english teacher-esque rant:)

Azariel

heh heh heh... jane austen biography....

Yeah well... all my information was from highly dubious origins. Namely my English teacher. But he likes the girl!

I spose ye olde jane austen jsut isn't down my alley. Browning's much more to my tastes... but the powers that be expect me to read both Emma and Pride and Predjudice and not complain? HA!!! Sure Sparky!!

Anyway... theres' nothing wrong with a difference of opinion so i'll let you get back to your riviting biography... heh heh heh

legally_blonde

yeah i am doin I&S
*promptly kills it*
any hints for actually WRITING in 19th C style?
I am really really, really REALLY crap at it...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
-Pretend you live in that world. How would you talk at those balls and stuff? Would you say "G'day mate howzit goin' "... no. You would say things like "Is your family well, Miss Bennet?" "I am most obliged".... even if you aren't writing about P&P, pretend you are a character in P&P. Use the mannerisms/language of a P&P character in your writing just to give it the feel of that century.

For example.

Dear Diary
I feel greatly vexed that legally_blonde wishes to kill I&S. I&S has been a great companion to me during the frosty Tuesday and Thursday mornings for quite some time now. I do believe that I&S is the most respectable and dependable of modules. Perhaps I should take it upon myself to write a letter to this legally_blonde in order to defend the honor of I&S. I could discourse with her the benefits of this module, namely the rather great benefit of I&S's connection with Mr Firth.

Blah blah blah so on so on.

Azariel

Oh.... in the 19th century, when people felt compelled to write, they wrote a lot. You see, it was impertinant and inappropriate to drop somebody a short note. Especially if you were a young couple who weren't engaged. See the letters in P&P. There's some epics there.

legally_blonde

I feel greatly vexed that legally_blonde wishes to kill I&S

lol!

sorry! It's just not really my STYLE - i got outvoted when we chose the topics...

thank god - i just did my trial for it yesterday and the creative writing was a diary entry - i can do a pretty convincing Lydia Bennet diary entry so i was stoked!

legally_blonde

Did you do the independant schools trial?
P.S, even though I am still coming 3rd (out of 3 - ha ha!) in Extension, I managed to scramble a woop-ass, class topping mark in the trial!
too bad it wasn't worth barely ANYTHING or I could have changed my ranking... *sigh*
It is very hard when the other two people out of a three person class are super-brains!

C'est la vie

Yes, well...our Area of Study for yr11 is Self and Society. Our texts are Muriel's Wedding and The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger. In fact, my exam is on Monday, and I'm chronically unprepared! But you know what, I just found BOS and it seems to be the best procrastination tool EVER!

lol :D

s2ophie

HSC
DISASTER!!!

I sat down to watch a bit of P&P tonight and just got past the pit when Lizzy tells DArcy about Lydia and Wickham and the tape went crazy!! it doesn't work anymore!! I will have to get the DVD!

So yeah I&Sers we haven't spoke in a while! How's things going study wise?

legally_blonde

-_-

meh.

not great...

Probably should be reading Browning again but I find him so thoroughly WIERD. Well, I guess its not as BORING as North and SOuth at least :)

s2ophie

HSC
problem solved....bought the DVD!!

I used to think browning was weird but now i appreciate it much more. Really go through it and think about it and it should improve! Lucky i didn't do nrth and south! :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Haven't done any study for Eng Ex yet!!! Eeeekkkkk!! Browning rocks soph and it's about time you realized that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)