The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Oh, Just quickly, if anyone is still looking for related texts, have a look at the poem "The Princess" by Alfred Lord Tennyson, I think it would work for I&S.

Paisley

Banned
I'm doing an audio version of "Jekyll & Hyde" and the graphic novel version of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"...

Jess.C

We are doing p&p, North and South and Brownings poetry. For my additional material I chose Jane Eyre and Emma(the movie). My teacher thinks its best if you have different mediums fo ryour texts.
Does anyone else find Browning's poetry to be a bit whacko??

Paisley

Banned
I love it... it's the analysis that I hate... like in "Meeting at Morning", the ringlets are supposed to be an erotic symbol of hair?!

In fact, that's what I hate about all English... it's pretty unlikely that a writer is going to think things like that through before they commit their pieces to paper...

Last edited:

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by Paisley
"Meeting at Morning",
you mean "Meeting at Night" or "parting at Morning"

Paisley

Banned
Wha..? Meeting at Night?!!

Oh my god... I've been studying the wrong poem this whole time... :D

s2ophie

HSC
i was just keeping you on your toes!!

ditamartinilogo

the ext 1 trial exam

Hey does anyone remember what the trial questions were for the Individual in Society? i did browning, dolls house n p&p.

get back to me asap?? thanks a bunch!

-cocktail glass xx

Rayanz

rayanz
HSC
u like individ and society??

how u like individual and society i dont know - i cant read the books always talkin about love and marriage and classes and all the irrelevant old english desciptions - i tried readin nth and sth and i couldnt tolerate the way it builds the story.,,.

Browning is good and DOLLS HOUSE is mad but everything else (p&p, gaskell, austen, dickens is ok) is a good substitute for valium

imagine how much crime fiction would be! haha

anywayz good luck every1

s2ophie

HSC
I like I&S. LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVE P&P and enjoyed A dolls house but am not to keen on Browning. I did An Ideal husnabd as my related and i like that

on the whole, i'm glad we did this elective

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well... drop extension english. I like I&S as well... I have liked all of the texts, and Browning's poetry was my favourite. I'm glad we studied this module, because all of the texts have been enjoyable.

What other module has Colin Firth as a prescribed text? Mmmmm...... I&S is a VERY good module!

Jinglebell

HSC
here here...any course where watching colin firth exude sexiness is considered educational gets my 2 thumbs up:) plus, i have an excuse to read the book over and over!

i like browning too, although i think its the hardest of the texts to write about in an essay, and i like a lot of his other poems more than the prescribed ones ('now' is my current fave). and quite like 'a doll's house', even though we're so behind we haven't even done anything on it in class.

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by mrman
how about you stfu s2ophie, its a bad bad module!
don't tell me what to do. i will say whatever i choose and i choose to tell you in no uncertain terms that I&S is a good module

muldersgun

HSC
i did my exam last friday and the creative part was write an interview with one of the composers of your prescribed texts. I did p&p and basically in one part of it i just went on and on about Colin Firth and his character in the film. Hehe, i think it was well worth going through I&S just to do that.

Rayanz

rayanz
HSC
s2ophie - i think it makes sense to say that those who like this I&S module are girls - not bein sexist - but the fact that most of the texts deal wit women in 19thC etc. appeal more to you than to 'us'. ha im glad you enjoy it tho. im findin it so hard to read the books. great expectations looks good, and as one of the ppl said -they're not sure on Browning. I dont think girls would - issues of murder etc.

anyway. less than 100 days and we step into the real world. Scary but exciting.

which schools u from? north shore in sydney anyone?
rayan

mrman

man, colin firth exudes sexiness? Although speaking from a guys perspective, I think i still make a good point when i say, firth isnt typically a name which exudes sexiness.

Besides what I SAY does go, and everyone listens to me, and I think its a VERY VERY BAD MODULE VERY BAD... think about it, who can relate to people in the 19th century, its not like its a patriarchal society anymore, just look at the number of females posting on this forum

I think Browning makes a valid point, in his portrayal of Lucrezia, emasculating Andrea, mistreating him and cheating on his with her 'cousin'.

So even coming from a female point of view, I&S sucks, although browning sucks the least

Jinglebell

HSC
from a male POV, i wouldn't be surprised that you're not reduced to a puddle every time darcy gives lizzy that longing 'sad puppy' look...i too was doubtful at first, but by my own highly unscientific research i haven't found a woman yet who doesn't find colin firth as mr darcy quite gorgeous...in fact, i think it's the only time i will ever agree with my english teacher:)

muldersgun

HSC
yes north shore person here

I&S was prolly developed by sex-starved female eng teachers. Which isn't necessarily bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)