• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The International House- IH (1 Viewer)

cherry101

HSC
N/A
IH is amazing, it offers you everything and more in terms of university accommodation. Half of the house is occupied by local Aussies, the other half consists of people from all over the world- everywhere from the exotic islands of Greece to the rich culture of Chile to metropolitan cities such as Hong Kong and New York. There is by no means and Asian dominance in the house. There is always a bunch of exchange kids- normally from the States/EU who grace the house with their unique flavor.

Although IH is one of the most expensive on campus accommodation options, it is an experience of a lifetime. (approx amounts, as advertised)
St Andrews- $425
Mandelbaum House- $424
International House- $413
St Johns- $395
Womens- $386
Wesley- $385
Sancta Sophia- $365

If you have received an offer to stay at IH, take it! You will not regret it.

Check out International House - The University of Sydney for more details about events and information,reply if you have any questions/queries!

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
Hey cherry101, could you share tips for the telephone interview? I got an email from Inje for a telephone interview. I'm nervous and unprepared, could you give me a rundown on the questions they would ask? And appropriate responses?

Thanks.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
why would anyone chose to go to a place that's more expensive and has less people who can speak english?

im a little confused by that

cherry101

HSC
N/A
Actually everyone speaks English, just because every single person isn't blonde and Australian doesn't mean they don't speak English!

Congrats on your interview, Inge is really nice- nothing to worry about at all! Stuff like how will you benefit and contribute to the house. Stuff about your hobbies/interests and why you should live in the house. Just check out the website and its pretty much what IH is all about. Be mature! Most people in the house are 21ish.

Some other info- We have international themed events to celebrate the diversity in the House, such as '7 Dinner around the World' which happens every other Monday at dinner, we eat food from different parts of the world. IHMA is the members association, it consists of an executive committee which holds a Chairperson, Secretary and Treasure. The subcommittees are Social (plan parties), Sports (plan sporting events), Publications (gossip columns and yearbook), Photography (take photos), Food (plan food- based events) and Shop (they run the shop).

IH is amazing! Wish you the best getting in!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
when i say they speak english, im implying that i dont have to dedicate my already streched reserves of concentration towards deciphering their heavy accents.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
fucking christ why would anyone stay at IH compared to a college at that price

cherry101

HSC
N/A
The language/accent barrier really isn't bad at all. An Aussie accent was considered 'foreign' to us too!

IH has some really fun events such as iNight, The Harbour Cruise, iBall, Parties every fortnight and trips around Australia. Check out the photos of people, News | The University of Sydney at events.

Yeah, it is expensive but you have to remember that it is fully catered (at 3 meals a day everyday), they clean your room once a fortnight- change bedsheets, vacuum, clean windows etc. Your social life is pretty much paid for already, they events at the house every other weekend, full buffet dinners with open bar after. You have no transport costs and opportunities to get more involved in Uni life. Tutoring programs are available and of course, our priceless view from the rooftop!

Video Tour of IH: Videos - IH home - The University of Sydney

Photos of IH: Photo Gallery - IH home - The University of Sydney

Events at IH: News | The University of Sydney

Facilities and Amenities at IH: Facilities and Amenities - IH home - The University of Sydney

APPLY! Apply Now - IH home - The University of Sydney

bio_nut

HSC
Your prices for the other colleges are very out of date.

cherry101

HSC
N/A
Well then stop replying! If anyone has any questions I'm here to answer!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
no offence, but you should probably kill yourself by putting a hose around your car exaughst and feeding it back into the windows with them all wound up so you have to breathe in carbon monoxide

philphie

Banned
HSC
i loled so much when i saw your promo house when they had an indian girl as the feature student because i knew it was a way for the uni to remedy the recent hostility against indian studnets that was on the media

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)