• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Island (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
oh man, this was like a detour through every action movie cliche via stolen plots from well-known sci-fi films (minority report and logan's run namely)... hot blonde chick kicking guy's ass at virtual kickboxing, guy falling from an above floor on top of a strategically assembled tower of glasses (at a train station in the middle of nowhere?), a police car stopping in the middle of the street so a truck can conveniently crash through half of it so the protagonists can escape, protagonists falling from a building and just as conveniently landing in a random net... i could go on. then it just gets bizarre toward the end- what was with scarlett serving those kids icecream at the beach??? maybe i'm really thick and a michael bay film just outsmarted me, but that bit actually made me mumble "WTF" to myself.

i suppose it was pretty above-average as far as mindless popcorn entertainment goes. the freeway chase was really exciting, though my friend told me afterwards that it was lifted directly from bad boys 2 with metal drums instead of dead bodies, so it occurred to me that bay was even ripping off his own shitty movies. i was never bored though. a decent way to kill time in between classes.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I wanna see this
will probably see it next wednesday :)

Lilith

HSC
I thought it was a really good movie. The action was done well, especially the scene where the metal pieces went off the back of the truck.

I really liked some of the concepts, and actors like Ewan Mcgregor, Scarlet Johanson and Sean Bean made it interesting.

People should stop complaining. It should have done much better at the box office, its a whole lot better than many action based movies.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
I saw it, and personally i don't know why there are so many 'bad' reviews- i quite enjoyed the Island, much better than i thought-
it wasn't a movie 'spoon fed' to you. . It made you think a bit (ok in some parts it was bloody obvious) but the genral concept and things were good, interesting
i think its a pretty damn good action movie- best one i've seen this year for sure.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
It's been a while since this thread has been active, but I saw The Island last Friday and I personally thought it was good. Scarlett Johansson just made it better. It had action, it had good actors, it made me think (the music was particularly thought-provoking) and it relates to society today...all I could ask for in a film. Like others, I can't understand why it received such bad reviews :confused: I'm still thinking about it now, one week after seeing it.

jmac101

i thought it was really really good
explored a concept which hasnt really been done much and yeh i thought it was awesome

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
The only negative aspect really, was that it kind of "borrowed" from Blade Runner...what with the memories being implanted and being set in 2019. If BNW/BR required related material, The Island would be a pretty decent film to use imo.

I just wonder why it was a box-office flop. Most of the people I've talked to who watched the movie said they really enjoyed it, so I can't understand why it failed in the US.

HSC
I Liked it.

Very Brave New Worldish...but really interesting %D

and scarlett johnson is very pretty.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I saw this yesterday
it was good...
It was my bday also so I received a present in it ;)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
goan_crazy said:
I saw this yesterday
it was good...
It was my bday also so I received a present in it ;)
I bet you would've liked Scarlett Johansson as a b'day present ;) :p

I still haven't heard many people, if not any, say they didn't like it. I think it deserved to have done better at the box office than it has so far.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I bet you would've liked Scarlett Johansson as a b'day present ;) :p

I still haven't heard many people, if not any, say they didn't like it. I think it deserved to have done better at the box office than it has so far.
I saw the movie a few weeks ago and my friend and I really enjoyed it as well. I didn't know it was a flop. Yeah, the plot was a little thin and it was mainly just explosions and car chases etc.. but it was a fun ride.
Some scenes were really disturbing tho (in the first half of it).

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
SmokedSalmon said:
I saw the movie a few weeks ago and my friend and I really enjoyed it as well. I didn't know it was a flop. Yeah, the plot was a little thin and it was mainly just explosions and car chases etc.. but it was a fun ride.
Some scenes were really disturbing tho (in the first half of it).
Yea. I think the plot kind of became lost in the 2nd half coz of the action and the melodrama. And I agree with you on the disturbing parts...it was kind of freaky, but I guess it shocks the audience with a possible reality. After all, to me it's a plausible future for the human race if we don't become aware of the possible repercussions i.e. creating clones for "spare" parts.

It was actually one of the better movies I'd seen since LOTR, Spiderman, The Matrix etc. and that whole "block" of good movies that came out in the early 2000s.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I enjoyed it despite hearing the bad reviews and attendance in the US, its honestly a good all-round action film.

What I did hate though was all the advertising.

WHAM! XBOX WHAM PUMA!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)