• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The JAZZ thread (2 Viewers)

HSC
check out some of zappa's jazzier endevours.
also jon lord's album "sarabande"
not strictyl jazz, he fused it with rock and baroque music.
also charley mingus.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
wowee! where have i been all this time to miss a totally awesome thread like this!
and im impressed at how many jazz fans there are out there :) way to go peeps!! :D:D
mack! i didn't put you as a jazz fan, St Germain are seriously cool stuf :D love them

Ur_inner_child!! wow Miles and Parker. love them to death, the greatest of the greats in my
book. wondering if you've heard Sketches of Spain by miles? amazing album, classical with a jazz feel. Concerto de Aranjuez done by miles. HEAPS GOOD :D

soma.. love all thoes guys you posted. fav song by herbie hancock is watermelon man. very very good, got panpipes and everything :D:D i recently bought A Love Supreme by Coltrane, he is amazingly good..

has anyone heard of Cannonball Adderly. please tell me you have. he is my IDOL a bloody god!

Callistogenic

HSC
What about the Sheffield Jazz Experience? The only disc I know in mass production to be made with 24k gold plating. - They say it improves audio quality. I believe them too. :D

magician

HSC
demosthenes said:
nah man, I appreciate diana krall...like i reckon she has sold out a bit lately, but if you listen to some of the stuff she did with Martin Hope in the mid 80's, it is like AMAZING!!!
(hehe triple post...sorry guys!)
Yay! Someone else likes her early stuff too!!! She's also a pretty good jazz pianist.

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
jamie cullum is doing his thing with the whole revival of jazz in the modern age.

so, yeah, he's pretty cool.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
i actually don't mind Jamie Cullum.. hes a good pianist.. some of his songs are a tad popish but hes good. hes bringing jazz to the teenie boppers which is good i spose lol.

mack

Banned
HSC
If you thought Monk was a wierdo, see Keith Jarret play live. He does wierd movements at the piano and his breathing goes heavy, like hes about to blow a load.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm not so much into Jazz itself, but alot of sub-genres like jazz-fusion, funk-jazz and smooth jazz. A new genre I've been getting into is rock-jazz. Musicians like Chick Corea, Dave Weckl, Frank Gambale & Pat Metheny takes my taste.
The L.A Big Band make some good shit.

artfag

Banned
HSC
you think monk is a weirdo? listen to some sun ra

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
artfag said:
listen to Alice Coltrane! she is amazing

i <3 monk. if you haven't heard th monk/coltrane collaboration, get it now. it really is amazing. also, hop on slsk and grab some stuff off me by Eric Dolphy, Charles Mingus, Bud Powell, Bill Evans, Stan Getz, Joao/Astrud Gilberto, Ornette Coleman... jazz rules
Wow you have pretty much identical taste to me!
I just bought the Ornette COleman anthologies....it is bloody amazing!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Also, if you think monk was an eccentric man, research some about Mingus...man he was crazy! I am doing my ext. music essay on him...he was literally insane!
Let's have this post as a place where we can post some jazz gigs around the area too...and tell us about some gigs you have seen. James Muller's quartet is going to the side on cafe soon...now that is a gig you cant miss!
Also, did any of you go to the Wangaratta Jazz Fest? If not you bloody well should this year (05)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
haha. i totally agree there mate :D

ive played at the side on.. and at the soup plus :) it was fun.
im going to see the moods band at the soup plus on the 21st.. not very well known i don't think. but my teacher plays sax in there. and they've got a MAD trumpet player.. Todd Hardy.. one of the best in Syd im told... :p

anyone here like Dave Brubeck??

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
lol. teacher is Joern Harris... played with my school Jazz band which is run by Todd Hardy... from the moods, and we played with the moods a bit as well. school jazz band isn't very good, ive been trying to get an outside school jazz band organised.. but nobody is up for it, and i can't find anyone who is! bah lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)