The JD (1 Viewer)

J18134

HSC
If one was to consider doing a JD at Usyd, what marks would they need to attain to succeed. How much is the ATAR counted and how competitive is it?

Dylanamali

HSC
50/50 ATAR:GPA,

To be competitive I'd say an ATAR of 95 minimum and a D average.
Optimally, a 98 ATAR and a D+ Average should guarantee you a place.

For an internal transfer to their undergraduate Law degree its:

75:25 ATAR:GPA,

And I've heard a 98 ATAR and D+Average would be sufficient.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
^ Internal transfer has some downsides; I am doing a Science degree at USyd and still have to apply through UAC to do law here. Or they just don't play favours for science students. Haha.

Dylanamali

HSC
^ Internal transfer has some downsides; I am doing a Science degree at USyd and still have to apply through UAC to do law here. Or they just don't play favours for science students. Haha.
reckon you'll get a spot?
How are your marks looking?

J18134

HSC
50/50 ATAR:GPA,

To be competitive I'd say an ATAR of 95 minimum and a D average.
Optimally, a 98 ATAR and a D+ Average should guarantee you a place.

For an internal transfer to their undergraduate Law degree its:

75:25 ATAR:GPA,

And I've heard a 98 ATAR and D+Average would be sufficient.
And if you under-performed and got lower than 98? Im guessing lower the ATAR the higher the marks would have to be. Sorta stupid that they still care about the ATAR 3 or so years after the HSC.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
D average but I only did 42CPs this semester ~ molecular biology had to be dropped. DW about me ~ I have other plans if law doesn't work out like a Masters in Radiography etc.

What is your major btw? Do you have the same majors as USyd?

Dylanamali

HSC
And if you under-performed and got lower than 98? Im guessing lower the ATAR the higher the marks would have to be. Sorta stupid that they still care about the ATAR 3 or so years after the HSC.
How far below?
If your below 90 then unfortunately you don't have much of a chance.. if your around 95, you'd still have a decent change provided you obtain a high GPA.

Dylanamali

HSC
D average but I only did 42CPs this semester ~ molecular biology had to be dropped. DW about me ~ I have other plans if law doesn't work out like a Masters in Radiography etc.

What is your major btw? Do you have the same majors as USyd?
I have no real interest in my Sci degree - only doing it as a means to get into medicine.
I'm technically doing molecular biology and biochem..

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I agree that it is stupid but you should contact the Faculty of Law; though I am a student there I still don't know how USyd works.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I have no real interest in my Sci degree - only doing it as a means to get into medicine.
I'm technically doing molecular biology and biochem..
Most people have the same idea as you. I still love the idea of Grad Med but with competition it is good to keep all options opened - JD being just one.

Dedication! I am an Anatomy and Histology enthusiast to the core of my bones.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
For the USyd JD they count 25% ATAR and 75% WAM. They recommend a 90 ATAR and a high credit WAM. I would think it's more competitive than this and you should be looking for a 75-78 WAM at least to accompany the 90 ATAR. IF your ATAR is lower than this, your WAM would have to be hovering around 80.

Generally speaking it's less competitive than USyd undergrad Law, however there still is very healthy competition for the CSP places. The non-CSP places which cost $30k+ are obviously a lot less competitive.

See for further details: http://sydney.edu.au/law/fstudent/jd/apply_domestic.shtml

J18134

HSC
For the USyd JD they count 25% ATAR and 75% WAM. They recommend a 90 ATAR and a high credit WAM. I would think it's more competitive than this and you should be looking for a 75-78 WAM at least to accompany the 90 ATAR. IF your ATAR is lower than this, your WAM would have to be hovering around 80.

Generally speaking it's less competitive than USyd undergrad Law, however there still is very healthy competition for the CSP places. The non-CSP places which cost $30k+ are obviously a lot less competitive.

See for further details: http://sydney.edu.au/law/fstudent/jd/apply_domestic.shtml
Nah my ATAR is higher than 90 :) Where is it that you get the information about only 90 ATAR and high credit? From what Ive read I thought the atar had to be closer to 75

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
From the link.

'Juris Doctor – Entry
You will need to a have a degree in another discipline to apply for entry into the JD. Entry will be competitively based and you will be assessed on academic performance only. The criteria are 25% ATAR or equivalent and 75% tertiary grade point average. If you have more than one degree, the tertiary record will be assessed on the best degree.

Your chances may be improved if you have completed a research degree, a masters’ coursework degree or an honours degree. If you do not have an ATAR or equivalent you will be assessed on your tertiary record alone.'

lawstu

HSC
From the link.

'Juris Doctor – Entry
You will need to a have a degree in another discipline to apply for entry into the JD. Entry will be competitively based and you will be assessed on academic performance only. The criteria are 25% ATAR or equivalent and 75% tertiary grade point average. If you have more than one degree, the tertiary record will be assessed on the best degree.

Your chances may be improved if you have completed a research degree, a masters’ coursework degree or an honours degree. If you do not have an ATAR or equivalent you will be assessed on your tertiary record alone.'
Some FEErs have UAIs/ATARs of 80+ and Pass/Credit university grades. Hm.
International students have half-decent marks, like higher 2.Xs and all sorts of 3.X GPAs (out of 4).

I'm sceptical that there's any moderation of marks or consideration given to the subjects you do/did or the institution you attend/attended. You know, it could be more difficult to obtain an HD/A average here than there due to competition or grading policies.

Whatever the requirements are, I'd recommend keeping an open mind - one that includes UNSW, UTS, MQ, and out-of-state law schools, namely Melbourne, Monash, and ANU.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)