The Law Debate : UNSW or USYD???? (1 Viewer)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
[just join this onto my last post]

Thats what law should be all about, Julliette. You're very idealistic, which is awesome, but also a little starry-eyed i fear (please just hear me through). I honour your motives for your career path, but what may look achievable simply due to "satisfaction, the knowledge that you were able to play a role in making someone elses life better" may end up being hard, so just stick with it, i cant see it all being smooth sailing, then again you'll probably prove me wrong!

We are, what, 17? 18? 19? It is nearly impossible to know ourselves, let alone where we wanna be neaxt year, or in 10 years so what Jesse has said is so important, there are always flexible pathways.
Thats so true! To tell you the truth, i can sense the emergence of "I dontknow what the hell i want to do with my life" in the back of my head. The quote of your post ive got in my first paragraph is states to a reasonable degree one of the driving forces behind me wanting to do medicine..although im going to do it p'grad, beacuse i dont want to be 3 years through a med degree and decide that i hate it. Doctors have a suicide rate second only to dentists, thats an important stat. Anyways, off *my* soapbox :)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Hey that was BEFORE you told me that your worst mark was going to be about 85 in maths!

i was under the impression that 85 is not a "terrible, pathetic" mark, that you said your maths mark was gonna be

Jesse

Originally posted by Bambul
Your individual UAI does go out the window, or atleast the number. I have found that if you were good in high school, you will do well at uni (there are exceptions, but they are rare), so in that regard your UAI dictates your potential. It's not like you can flop your HSC and get a low UAI and say, well, as long as I get into a crappy uni and pay full-fee to get into the course I want it doesn't matter, because my UAI doesn't matter after that, then you are kidding yourself, believe me.
As i said before, I've known ppl to get low UAIs, but kill uni. ;)

Imo, UAI is really just a mark of how well you can memorise. It's not your intellectual potential at all. I've known ppl to get really high UAIs, but only do moderately well or end up dropping out of uni.

Also, results will tend to mean whatever you want them to. If you think that this is the most important set of numbers in your life, then so be it. I guess different ppl have different priorities. I have a friend who did Computer Engineering at UNSW, totally killed the degree with a HD average and topped his class... when he finally received his degree :graduate: , he threw it away, saying he didn't need it. It was only a piece of paper to him... :headbang:

At the time, I did think my HSC was the be all and end all of my life, but looking back now... I believe I was pretty foolish. :(

B

Bambul

Originally posted by Jesse

Imo, UAI is really just a mark of how well you can memorise. It's not your intellectual potential at all. I've known ppl to get really high UAIs, but only do moderately well or end up dropping out of uni.
I hope you were good at memorising, because chances are you'll be doing a whole lot more at uni.

And I've known people who get a high UAI and change their course/drop out of uni, but mainly because they didn't like the course they were doing. In fact, besides actuarial studies people (of which all but one just changed their actuarial major to finance or marketing), I don't know anyone who did so because they were doing badly.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Bambul

I hope you were good at memorising, because chances are you'll be doing a whole lot more at uni.
not all courses ... and anyway havent we all master the skill of bs-ing ...

B

Bambul

Originally posted by flyin'

not all courses ... and anyway havent we all master the skill of bs-ing ...
You're right with the first part of your statement. As for the second part, that's for everyone to answer individually.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
anyone here suffer from excessive bs syndrome, like me?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Weisy
anyone here suffer from excessive bs syndrome, like me?
no ... but i am suffering from excessive spammin syndrome ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)