The Law Debate : UNSW or USYD???? (1 Viewer)

Jin-17

It really your shout, becasue some people tend to get pickly about the uni and not really the course. Tradionally, most old school lawyers got their degree in syd, but the newer lawyers tend to get them in other places as well. My older brother goes to UNSW, for law, and he likes it alot due to the fact, that he likes the uni and how the course is taught, but I guess this wouldn't help u much. I guess the best thing to do is listen to the other guys, give the uni a call or asking some students who go there. U may even consider the long shot of going to one for a year and transfer, which I think u are able to carry on the the marks and so on to the other uni, but I can be wrong here.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Jerry Springer
why are you doing law? HONESTLY
Ok - the money side does appeal, but realistically, I'm sure there are plenty of destitute lawyers (or maybe at least one?)

I like the logic of the law, and the competition of it. In a sense its like maths in that u have something to prove, certain implements/statutes/regulations/precedents at ur disposal and the need to construct a logical argument i.e a=x, b= x, ergo a=b.....or something like that. (don't think many ppl see it like that as there was a previous thread about how unfair it is that u need to do 4u maths or wateva to get into law which is so humanities based)

I also think that through law u can better understand society and the world around you. Plus its a good general degree that requires you to think, be aware of current affairs and other ppl etc...

Jason

My reasons for wanting to be a lawyer and hard to pin down, but they mainly boil down to loving a good argument. That and the fact that the law is so often misunderstood and misinterpreted - it would be fulfilling to clear it up. I think what timmii said is also true, about understanding society and the logic of the law.

I think my main drive is this weirdo gut feeling that "I want to be a lawyer" - I'm not even completely sure why, the reasons I've given above are just really my way of rationalising my choice.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Sydney Uni is better for law as its degree carries that extra weight in terms of reputation.

I want to do a combined law degree mainly so that no one can sue me (because by that time I would know all the laws) in what ever business I am in. Well I guess you can get sued but lawyers aren't likely to sue other lawyers hehe :D

Jesse

Originally posted by !meeee!
uts doesn't have the same reputation for law
it's better for other degrees. thus the lower demand to do law at uts and the comparatively lower uai
You know this because? You are basing this on? (other than UAI - which is just an indicator of popularity ... and why follow the crowd?)

All I am saying is that you never know unless you try.

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
i certainly don't know cause i'm not studying law
but when friends who are studying law at usyd and those studying at uts discuss what they've learnt, it appears usyd provides a more thorough course and thus some would consider it to be the better university for law

it also claims to have law lecturers of a higher standard

like i said, i don't know but that's what ppl who are studying at both unis seem to think

Jesse

... To those of you who are considering studying law, take into account only what you hear about these degrees from others - but make sure it is from a worthy source. :rolleyes:

To make up your minds about which uni is for you though, think for yourselves. :mad1:

chait

Originally posted by Jesse
Why not UTS ??? :confused: :)
2000 Asiaweek Asian Uni rankings
alphabetical listing

AUSTRALIA
8 Australian National University [Multi-Disciplinary]
22 Curtin University of Technology [Science and Technology]
56 Macquarie University [Multi-Disciplinary]
30 Monash University [Multi-Disciplinary]
25 Queensland University of Technology [Science and Technology]
28 RMIT University [Science and Technology]
26 University of Adelaide [Multi-Disciplinary]
9 University of Melbourne [Multi-Disciplinary]
10 University of New South Wales [Multi-Disciplinary]
25 University of Queensland [Multi-Disciplinary]
38 University of South Australia [Science and Technology]
13 University of Sydney [Multi-Disciplinary]
26 University of Technology, Sydney [Science and Technology]
23 University of Western Australia [Multi-Disciplinary]
45 University of Wollongong [Multi-Disciplinary]

even though these are 2000 rankings,it's still relevant. i doubt rankings can change that much unless, for example, a uni increases or decreases its avg level of 'citation in int'l journals'. etc

in 2002 i'd say that most rankings will remain similar

B

Bambul

Originally posted by Jesse

You know this because? You are basing this on? (other than UAI - which is just an indicator of popularity ... and why follow the crowd?)

All I am saying is that you never know unless you try.
When employers are choosing students for clerkships (vacation work for law students) they will often put those who do law at USyd and UNSW at the top of the pile because they have a track record for producing superior graduates. This may not necessarily be because they have better law schools/lecturers/learning environment/etc, but the fact that almost all students got in with a UAI of above 99 has a big influence.

This has a big influence, since prospective employers can't find out about you 100%, having a piece of paper with the same name of a university which other successful previous applicants have had puts you at an advantage.

To use an acting analogy, it would be like ensuring that you get more auditions, but doesn't necessarily improve your chance of getting the part.

Jesse

Your UAI will mean nothing once you get into uni. If you think you are something special now, be prepared for a big shock. There is a life bigger and better than just high school results.

B

Bambul

Your individual UAI does go out the window, or atleast the number. I have found that if you were good in high school, you will do well at uni (there are exceptions, but they are rare), so in that regard your UAI dictates your potential. It's not like you can flop your HSC and get a low UAI and say, well, as long as I get into a crappy uni and pay full-fee to get into the course I want it doesn't matter, because my UAI doesn't matter after that, then you are kidding yourself, believe me.

And when you have a cut-off of 99.3 or 99.4 for a law degree, it will get it's fair share of attention. If I were an employer I would take it very much into consideration.

Having said that, the HSC is over-rated. I found it to be a bit of an anti-climax, it was just the trials again, but with an extra 3 months of revision, so much easier.

I love to hear people say "it's ok, it doesn't count", in year 11 and then "after the HSC is over that's the hardest part", because they are so deluded. The HSC is probably your first big exam, it counts for 1/2 your UAI. Well you better get used to the equivalent of an HSC every 6 months when you get into uni. And the weighting is much more skewed, 50%, 60% or even 70% are normal for the weightings of final exams. I know of a friend whose final counted for 90% of his mark.

Thats enough ranting for now, I better sign off.

Jesse

I've known ppl to get 60 UAI, gone to UWS, transfered to UTS and started working hard... ended up with a HD average.... :eek: ;)

B

Bambul

Like I said, there are exceptions, but they are rare (and that's a direct quote).

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Has anyone considered University of Wollongong for law? Its meant to have a relaly good course down there and the uni was australian university of the year 2000, 2001....

!meee!, we both know that youll have no trouble getting the marks for for USYD law, however much you may deny this fact! :)

Ha ha, good retaliation Juliette! You'll make a fabulous barrister
Retaliation how?? meh, i see the point, but.......blah

People tell me id make a good lawyer although i just couldnt see myself doin it, just seems to me that the world has enoguh lawyers in it already, even though, I admit, i ahveent *completely* written it off as a career option.

Andnow, some humour!

A man is walking through the jungle and suddenly falls into a deep pit. Armed only with a revolver loaded with two bullets, he flips on his torch and surveys the surroundings in which he now finds himself. He is encountered with three creatures, a tiger, a venemous snake and a lawyer. What does our hero do?????

Shoots the lawyer twice

No offence guys, none of you are lawyers yet! :)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by timmii

don't think many ppl see it like that as there was a previous thread about how unfair it is that u need to do 4u maths or wateva to get into law which is so humanities based
I think its a fallacy that you need 4 unit maths to get over 99 or 99.4 in this case.

Just off the top of my head most of the top scaling subjects are humanities, such as ancient greek, ancient greek extension, latin, latin extension, french extension, history extension, 4 unit english just to name a few

Personally im doin 4unit maths, but 3 unit latin as well, so i guess ive got both bases covered

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by Juliette
WHY LAW? Jerry - you asked why we want to do law. Hard question, easy answer (I guess i am one of the lucky ones jesse). There are some people in our society who, for various reasons cannot protect their rights. Be it that they are vulnerable, disadvantaged, poorly educated, have limited financial resources, or are simply too young to know their rights. So why then do I wanna do some swishy law degree, with a bunch of people who are only in it for the money?.... Well I dont think that many are!!

I want to work in policy development in the area of child protection, because I feel a social responsibility for those who cannot defend themselves. I will probably never own a BMW or a house on the north shore, but how can any of that replace job satisfaction, the knowledge that you were able to play a role in making someone elses life better!

INTROSPECTION:You're right - we all need to ask ourselves ' why is law for me?' or rather ' why am i willing to hive my life, with all this amazing potential, to this cause?' . If your answer has any of these words: justice, truth, fairness, protect, defend, peace (add in your own) you're in it for the right reason. However, if you hear yourself say: money, power, prestiege, image (again add 'em in) you gotta reassess your motivations.

We are, what, 17? 18? 19? It is nearly impossible to know ourselves, let alone where we wanna be neaxt year, or in 10 years so what Jesse has said is so important, there are always flexible pathways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)