• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The legality of torrenting... (1 Viewer)

Do you think torrenting should be illegal?

• Total voters

Garygaz

HSC
i think it was the other day when someone uploaded the entirety of pirate-bays torrents in to a single file of 95mb. the funny part was that if the entertainment giants were using download statistics as they had previously done to estimate the cost of piracy on their business interests, you would have inflicted something like $2billion in losses in about 2 minutes.

but seriously no one really defends torrenting, it's just that getting digital content at a fair price with good download speeds is a joke. some of the hollywood production companies are even reversing the trend of attempting to have world-wide releases on titles. i think hugo had about a 8 week difference between the UK and Aus release. dinosaurs being dinosaurs.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
people no longer buying full length albums has and will have more to do with the music industry's decline FAR more than pirating

and there is little evidence that the movie industry is declining at all really
I am one of the people who I can count on one hand (that I know) who pays for music, movies or television series and *doesn't* steal at the same time. Impatience is not a reason for theft lol (but I wanted my iPhone NOW NOT TOMORROW)

However yes like Garygaz (and you I guess) just said, there is a giant hole in the industry and they're trying to regulate their way out of it instead of innovating.
i think it was the other day when someone uploaded the entirety of pirate-bays torrents in to a single file of 95mb. the funny part was that if the entertainment giants were using download statistics as they had previously done to estimate the cost of piracy on their business interests, you would have inflicted something like $2billion in losses in about 2 minutes.

but seriously no one really defends torrenting, it's just that getting digital content at a fair price with good download speeds is a joke. some of the hollywood production companies are even reversing the trend of attempting to have world-wide releases on titles. i think hugo had about a 8 week difference between the UK and Aus release. dinosaurs being dinosaurs.
What would you say is a "fair price"?

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC
I am one of a few people who I can count on one hand (that I know) who pays for music, movies or television series and *doesn't* steal at the same time. Impatience is not a reason for theft lol (but I wanted my iPhone NOW NOT TOMORROW)

However yes like Garygaz (and you I guess) just said, there is a giant hole in the industry and they're trying to regulate their way out of it instead of innovating.

What would you say is a "fair price"?
maybe like $15-$20 for a HD movie to download to your hard-drive. i also saw an interesting suggestion on reddit yesterday which suggested cinemas sell premium tickets ($25 aus) to give you a code which will let you get a HD digital copy of the movie when it is released.

i mean there are solutions to their problems, but they are so goddamn reluctant.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I'd still say anyone willing to download it will use other means to get their hands on it for free

They've been in a comfortable position for about what? 6 decades? Then the internet comes along and threatens their (now outdated) business structure. It's obvious why they're fighting for regulation.

Garygaz

HSC
hypothetically if all torrenting ended tomorrow, you'd still see the same thing happening. friends would pick between themselves what movies to buy, and make groups on facebook so people could trade digital content via external hard drives.

friend brings over HD, gives you 10 movies and copies 10 from you.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I am one of the people who I can count on one hand (that I know) who pays for music, movies or television series and *doesn't* steal at the same time. Impatience is not a reason for theft lol (but I wanted my iPhone NOW NOT TOMORROW)

I didnt say anything about having to wait. I'm saying that people buy songs instead of albums, which is why hte music industry's profits have fallen so much, and that the movie industry is doing fine.

i.e. piracy has nothing to do with possibly less stuff being amde in the future.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure how many people using Steam here on BoS but something similar to that set-up would work well.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I didnt say anything about having to wait. I'm saying that people buy songs instead of albums, which is why hte music industry's profits have fallen so much, and that the movie industry is doing fine.

i.e. piracy has nothing to do with possibly less stuff being amde in the future.
yes reading my response I actually think that part was meant to be directed at garygaz but oh well

Are you referring to a specific genre? What companies are having great losses and what not? I've never bought single songs in my life and the only way I can think of that happening is with the Beyonces and Minajs and Beibers, not other production companies in other genres. (that's not a counterpoint, mind you, just askin for infos)

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
itt: petulant children who are too fucking lazy to pay people for their work

good luck being able to download any movie or song you want when nobody is making them you dumb cunts
yeah umm okay I don't think Nick Cave is about to stop making music because he isn't making a living from it lol.

Oh noz i can't buy Britneys Gaga's latest pile of shit because her kind aren't profitable anymore :(((

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
it's interesting that pretty much all the belly-aching is coming from the corporate music industry, but little to none from the independent

well, not so much interesting as predictable.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Everyone torrents.
Its whats being torrented that is a concern.
Does not compute?

Torrenting does not cost the record company mopey if the person downloading the torrent had no intention of ever purchasing the material in the first place. A hooker flashing her tits to a prospective client to prove she is not a cop does not cost any money and no one is out of money if the prospective client never had any intention of rendering her services anyway.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Does not compute?

Torrenting does not cost the record company mopey if the person downloading the torrent had no intention of ever purchasing the material in the first place. A hooker flashing her tits to a prospective client to prove she is not a cop does not cost any money and no one is out of money if the prospective client never had any intention of rendering her services anyway.
What.
That makes no sense what so ever.
A hooker flashing a client is just allowing a preview of goods. It would be like downloading a demo.
Companies do lose out in the end due to no one buying the product.
Using your hooker anology:
A legitimate brothel sell a hookers services for $100.
A illegal brothel opens up saying it can provide the exact same service but a cut throat prices.
The legitimate company loses out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)