The likelihood of Journeys as AOS for 2008 HSC. (1 Viewer)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Anyone have any ideas if the topic "Journeys" will be the area of studies for the 2008 HSC?

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
my teacher told me that the new AOS is going to be.....drum roll.....[POWER]
yep,,,that sounds even worse than journeys..i would hate to be an 08er

lala2

Banned
HSC
Change, Journeys, and Power (if what ugly14 says is correct)....hmmm. No opinion. Just that the title of this thread caught my eye.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
Yeh, I doubt it greatly....

Power? wat the hell is that supposed to mean? I wonder what the focuses will be... hmm

T

Testpilot

wm_abusef said:
Power? wat the hell is that supposed to mean? I wonder what the focuses will be... hmm
Maybe different methods of gaining power. Or different uses of power.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
You probably won't get Journeys as AoS. Just got my stimulus booklet, and it says, "for HSC 2006 and 2007".

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The area of study entitled "The Journey" will continue in 2008 (for that year only), but there will be a new prescribed stimulus booklet.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
ugly14 said:
I highly doubt your teacher's claims. They're still processing everything and nothing has been officially announced yet. They have an elective called 'Powerplay' already that deals with the concept of power.
Also, the Area of Study usually has associations with Year 12 life so they allow us to make personal reflections on it. For example, Change is appropriate because our lives will change as we mature, and Journeys is appropriate because we have metaphorically journeyed through childhood/school to this stage of life and adulthood....etc. I think it is more likely that it will be something relevent to our experiences in Year 12 such as like Choice, Discovery or Growth..etc..

IceOnFire

HSC
airie said:
You probably won't get Journeys as AoS. Just got my stimulus booklet, and it says, "for HSC 2006 and 2007".
My stimulus booklet says for 2005 and 2006. :p

Mumma

HSC
Power actually sounds half decent, if they do it properly. Hmmm...

w00dy.

HSC
ugly14 said:
yeah my teacher told me that too. i reckon it sounds interesting. but than again that all depends on what way its taught and what texts etc.

Spon888

HSC
Actually changes to the syllabus require an Input of Money by the BOS. Considering they were supposed to change the Journeys module for 2005 (as its supposed to be 2year cycles of AOS), then its definetly on the cards to be changed. It just depends how much funding they get, and how much pressure is put by teachers if it has any bearing at all...The BOS tends not to listen to them...its the same reason the govt doesn't listen when they want pay rises

Learning Shakespeare is also something that is seen to be central to English as it definetly forms a part of the literary canon of great works of literature. Lear is regarded to be the best of Shakespeare, so I can see why its been on the syllabus for so long...removing it wouldn't be very wise to the creed of English study...However its the way that the BOS makes you study it that makes it difficult. Its the syllabus that needs to be changed...not the texts...because the syllabus forces you into very narrow focuses which can be seen as difficult to teach.

And to change the AOS to Power, can be seen to overlap with other modules which also explore this issue. They possibly will have to overhaul the texts AND the AOS at the same time to cater for this.

Anyway, keep in mind that all of this is merely speculative, and whatever the BOS does, you won't have much say in it...Afterall the whole of NSW has to do it.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Without Wings said:
Building on from what Lazarus said:

Extension of current course prescriptions
The Board wishes to advise that the English Stage 6 Prescriptions: Area of Study, Electives and Texts for the Higher School Certificate 2006-2007 will be retained and will remain current for the Higher School Certificate in 2008.

Withdrawal of stimulus booklet
The intention of the stimulus booklet was to act as a way of introducing the new concept of an Area of Study into teaching and learning in Stage 6 English until the concept became firmly established in the learning and teaching practice of Stage 6 English. This intention was communicated to principals via letters accompanying copies of the stimulus booklets in 2000, 2001 and 2002.

The Board reminds teachers that the Area of Study stimulus booklet, Journeys, a prescribed text for the English (Standard), English (Advanced) and English as a Second Language (ESL) HSC courses will no longer be a prescribed text for the 2008 HSC and beyond. The Board will cease production of this booklet at the conclusion of the HSC 2007.

Source: Board of Studies

Soo...no more Journey for 2008 HSC. The 08er are the guinea pig for the new AOS?

HSC
N/A
Power sounds a hell of a lot better than journeys.

When do people find out? Do 07 people know yet? Man I don't know the syllabus structure of English... I'll look it up. xD

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
oh wow....

So it's Journeys without the Stimulus Booklet? interesting....

I wonder if the reason they're just getting rid of the Stimulus Booklet is because the Board of Studies are getting depressed over the fact that students all over the state burn it to the ground once they finish their AOS English Paper 1 exam :p

So you'll have your main core text (eg The Tempest for IJs) and just your ORM with no Stimulus Booklet to worry about. Sounds awesome considering now they won't have to worry about knowing one or more Stimulus materials as well as two or more ORM. lucky 08ers. oh yeh, but they won't get the gratification of buring the Journeys booklet ofcourse :)

emilybrown

HSC
i agree, the subject chgange and journy has been the AOS for bout the last 4years and by wat my teacher has told me its not goin 2 change for awile

-pari-

HSC
N/A
very unlikely thatu'll be getting journeys.

thank god i'm not a class of 08

edit: i just read without_wings' post....disregard my comment, my sources are unreliable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)