• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Lost Thing / Crucible Belonging (1 Viewer)

NooduHut

HSC
What are the similarities and differences in the concept of belonging in the picture book 'The Lost Thing' by Shaun Tan and the play 'Crucible' by Arthur Miller? Also it would be good if anyone can list down the techniques and quotes from the cucible and the lost thing that help show these similarities and differences. Thanks for you help :).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So is the Lost Thing your chosen related text? Or you have to use it?

This post I feel you are fishing for someone to do your homework-I didn't do the Crucible so I can do it and nor will you get anywhere in your HSC me doing all your work :p Finding your own quotes will make you remember them.

The way I would approach it is as follows;
*Brainstorm all the different sorts of belonging in both texts-some core belonging values might be the same like family, but some might be able to be implicitly linked like self awareness with cultural identity etc.
*What does each text say about the different areas of belonging? Do these complement or conflict?
*Look at how similar techniques are used across the texts? Is visual symbolism used in both? Is colour used in both? To the same effect or contrasting perspectives on belonging?

It is considering what both texts say on belonging before we can extrapolate links and contrasts. This is something you can only do yourself :)

NooduHut

HSC
So far I found how in the lost thing:

-The shape of the lost thing juxtaposes society in terms of colour and size. It is therefore ignored because of this fact (I found this post helpful http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=284556 , http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=205746)

- Each individual is independent but together, they are seen as a group and belonging. which is ironic in a way?

- When the lost thing was returned to the place, each of those characters was different and also the buildings inside were round compared to the human's 'world'. There is also a sense of belonging but in what way? I can't seem to find the right word for it.

- The protagonist is also seen as belonging when in the end, the frame zooms out showing that his tram is identical to the many others around it.
IMG_20121113_185738.jpg

- This picture shows how the society is identical and therefore they belong together
IMG_20121113_185818 (1).jpg

- This shows the duo going against the crowd which shows not belonging and individualism. Also the crows is seen as belonging because they look the same and are walking towards the same direction
IMG_20121113_185802 (1).jpg

So can anyone tell me if I am going on the right path in terms of finding the concepts of belonging in this text? and also what are the basis for concepts of belonging? Is it acceptance, understanding, relationships and identity? what else are there?

Thanks

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, you're on the right path, never read the picturebook but have seen the short film.

The factors you have mentioned are important to belonging, but in respect to the Lost Thing I remember his isolation from family, also conformity is a big thing in it.

In the picture book is there the scene where they go to the big dark place to find the lost thing's place? The tall, leering authoritarian figure is definitely something that stuck in my mind.

I think the part at the end asserts that to have meaningful engagement of others, you have to have self acceptance and acceptance of others differences. It is exploring that to belong you don't have to be completely the same.

The ones you have picked out are great, particularly the two protagonists visually going against the crowd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)