The low down on Uni Lodge (1 Viewer)

garrybarry

HSC
So, what information do people have on Uni Lodge? The UL section on the ANU website is pretty pathetic, especially when you compare it to the websites the other colleges have.

What type of organisational set up do they have? SRs, committies, etc?
How's the social life there?
Do they get involved in the interhall activities?
What's the first year population there like?
Has anybody here ever lived there/been there? What's it like in your person view?

Anyway, UL is on my prefernce. Mainly because of the self catered thing. I like the thought of sharing a room with people, kind of like in America. Being besties with your roommate would be awesome. Anyway, any info is helpful. It seems that nobody on these forums lives there though, so I understand if info is limited.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Their social committee is pretty embryonic, and only really started getting into gear last year. They participate in most of the sports and some of the arts shield events, but most people are internationals and are mostly interested in doing their own thing. The rooms are quite nice, but expensive. I'd recommend Unilodge to someone who was looking for more of a quiet atmosphere, the party colleges are on Daley Rd.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
unilodge is a sterile sterile place full of international students who don't know how to part-ay.

garrybarry

HSC
Aww that sux. Surely it's not that bad. Well it's not high on my prefernce list, but thought I'd ask about it anyway. Surely with over 1000 residents (this year), there would be lots of people willing to get involved.

ArtOfLosing

HSC
I thought I'd contribute as someone who has actually lived there. I've had a great experience living there for the last two years - I won't be back in first semester though as I'm on exchange, but otherwise I would be.

He'res how it worked last year. It may be a bit different now that there's two buildings. We have CAs - community assistants - who are reps for sports, social, pastoral care... that type of stuff. These are positions appointed by unilodge - they had interviews at the end of the year. Then there is a residents committee, meetings are fourtnightly and anyone can show up, have a say, be involved etc. There are also elected reps: president, secretary and treasurer who run the meetings, organise events and whatnot.

I enjoy the social life. You have lots of privacy for when you need to study and such, but there are always people around. The commonroom is where lots of stuff happens, there are always people there. Last year there were some great big events - Masked ball, halloween party (where they put on a bar tab for the after party), bollywood night, trivia, bachelor auction... plus interhall stuff, and people throw their own house parties all the time.
And there are O week activities this year.
You do have to make a bit more of an effort to be social - activities aren't thrust upon you like at the other colleges.

Yes. But not all, the sports we did on a per event basis - if we could get a team together then we'd participate, same for arts.

Not sure what it would be this year, but the last two years first years have been well represented. But one of the things I like about it is it's not all first years, you meet later year people and post grads who are very awesome.

garrybarry

HSC
blacksunset, I keep hearing this. Do you live there? I'm interested in hearing the reasons as to why.

I thought I'd contribute as someone who has actually lived there. I've had a great experience living there for the last two years - I won't be back in first semester though as I'm on exchange, but otherwise I would be.

He'res how it worked last year. It may be a bit different now that there's two buildings. We have CAs - community assistants - who are reps for sports, social, pastoral care... that type of stuff. These are positions appointed by unilodge - they had interviews at the end of the year. Then there is a residents committee, meetings are fourtnightly and anyone can show up, have a say, be involved etc. There are also elected reps: president, secretary and treasurer who run the meetings, organise events and whatnot.

I enjoy the social life. You have lots of privacy for when you need to study and such, but there are always people around. The commonroom is where lots of stuff happens, there are always people there. Last year there were some great big events - Masked ball, halloween party (where they put on a bar tab for the after party), bollywood night, trivia, bachelor auction... plus interhall stuff, and people throw their own house parties all the time.
And there are O week activities this year.
You do have to make a bit more of an effort to be social - activities aren't thrust upon you like at the other colleges.

Yes. But not all, the sports we did on a per event basis - if we could get a team together then we'd participate, same for arts.

Not sure what it would be this year, but the last two years first years have been well represented. But one of the things I like about it is it's not all first years, you meet later year people and post grads who are very awesome.
OMG, finally some first hand info! Thanks heaps!!!

I'm a little confused by all the jargon, such as CAs lol. I was wondering how the structure of UL differs to others. From what I've read, they seem to have all the usual reps that other halls would have.

I'm glad to hear the social life is not as bad as people on here make it out to be. I think I prefer the setup of UL, because as you mentioned, when you want it, privacy is easily achieved for studying or just when you want to be alone. Also, because of the individual apartment setups, I can see house parties being plentiful (as you confirmed). From the floor plans and info on here it seems the rooms at the other halls are tiny, hardly the environment to party.

I guess because of the accommodation issue at ANU ATM, first years would be relatively well represented, as you mentioned. I guess the first year UL opened that wouldn't have been the case, but I think it's def changed, and people's first impressions and info hasn't followed through to the most informed, up to date info on these forums. I apreciate your time for posting that info. I think you should post here more often, change some peeps perception of UL :)

Last edited:

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
I reckon the only thing UL suffers from is youth. Once it becomes more established and the people there start knowing what to do, it can only get better.

ArtOfLosing

HSC
I reckon the only thing UL suffers from is youth. Once it becomes more established and the people there start knowing what to do, it can only get better.
EXACTLY this is what people don't get, it's just started so they are bound to make mistakes... and then learning and fixing them. Compare unilodge 2007 to 2008 - so much different, so much better

John555

HSC
I'm probably most likely going to UniLodge... hope the social aspect isn't too bad. Although the posts by artoflosing are very encouraging.

abyrne1

HSC
Yeah, it's looking towards UniLodge for me too. Maybe us 2010-ers from here should start our own social life there.

It is encouraging to hear reports ArtofLosing. It was originally my first choice before I switched to Bruce, and I have to keep thinking that. Such a downer that I missed out :-( . I'm from Perth, and have no choice but to stay in uni accommodation.

John555

HSC
Yeah, it's looking towards UniLodge for me too. Maybe us 2010-ers from here should start our own social life there.

It is encouraging to hear reports ArtofLosing. It was originally my first choice before I switched to Bruce, and I have to keep thinking that. Such a downer that I missed out :-( . I'm from Perth, and have no choice but to stay in uni accommodation.
Lol I'm originally from Perth as well! And are you also being considered for Unilodge?

abyrne1

HSC
Yeah mate. Born and raised (sort of)! Do you live in Canberra now?

Edit: And yes, Bruce rejected me. So it's UniLodge or bust for me.

HSC
I'm probably most likely going to UniLodge... hope the social aspect isn't too bad. Although the posts by artoflosing are very encouraging.
Yeah I hope it's not too bad also...
I am in a six bedroom multi share at Kinloch. Got my offer earlier today.
Did you get Unilodge too?

HSC
Wow it's good to hear other first years will be at Unilodge and actually want to have a good time... lol
If there is enough of us I'm sure it will be great.

John555

HSC
I'm in Perh atm. I haven't got the UniLodge offer yet, but I got rejected by Bruce and am being considered for UniLodge (even though its not on my pref), so its most likely that I will end up at UniLodge. Hope I get some good room mates!

Epic

HSC
Got rejected from Johns and Bruce, now I'm being considered for UniLodge. Should be fine if there's plenty of first years. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)