The majority of the 50/50 short stories are terrible (1 Viewer)

TheKiteFlyer

HSC
Apart from perhaps HOW TO BUILD A ROBOT and DER PLATZ, the rest of the short stories are pretentious at best. Of course the hip holier-than-thou examiners, who religiously carry copies of The Catcher in the Rye in their handbags, found them thought-provoking and original.

Clarky13

HSC
"50/50 short stories are terrible"

Ah, looks like I'm getting 50/50.

TheKiteFlyer

HSC
Where you can read 50/50 stories?Do they have to be nihilistic and inner turmoil to get 50/50?
You can do that, or you can just integrate a ton of retarded diagrams into your story and imbue them all with metaphorical meanings.

As for the 50/50 stories; your school will probably have the major works of its former students, who received 48s, 49s and 50s, on file. There are also the Showcase Books, which supposedly consist of the best major works in the state... Supposedly.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
You can do that, or you can just integrate a ton of retarded diagrams into your story and imbue them all with metaphorical meanings.

As for the 50/50 stories; your school will probably have the major works of its former students, who received 48s, 49s and 50s, on file. There are also the Showcase Books, which supposedly consist of the best major works in the state... Supposedly.
The Showcase is 'biased' as it attempts to include a wide range of students, e.g. public/private/selective, rural/urban, indigenous, cultural, etc.

...which is why you wouldn't usually see two similar types of texts in the same collection, e.g. two stories with a similar perspective on WWII, two stories about blind people, two stories about Japanese migrants etc., or two people from the same school, even if they were all amazing.

Furthermore, they can't include works that have stuff in them that's copyright and not approved, e.g. images only for personal use/not for commercial use.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Apart from perhaps HOW TO BUILD A ROBOT and DER PLATZ, the rest of the short stories are pretentious at best. Of course the hip holier-than-thou examiners, who religiously carry copies of The Catcher in the Rye in their handbags, found them thought-provoking and original.
The Catcher in the Rye is fucking awesome

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My short story couldn't be put in the showcase because it has random blank pages in the middle of it - and I don't think they'd appreciate the 'waste of paper'. =P

aheyhey

HSC
Errr ... you mean "How to build a scientist"? :p I like that one too. "Der Platz" was a bit too hectic for me to handle though.
Some other quirky ones I've read that were not so nihilistic and "inner-turmoil" stuff from the showcase were: Anti-ism and the one by Marlie Foster ... I think something called #12J035. I can't remember the title; it's full of numbers and letters.
They were not as fragmented as some of the other ones. Actually, they're one of the few that made me laugh out loud. If not that, you actually got the message by the end of them. Check them out.

HSC
Errr ... you mean "How to build a scientist"? :p I like that one too. "Der Platz" was a bit too hectic for me to handle though.
Some other quirky ones I've read that were not so nihilistic and "inner-turmoil" stuff from the showcase were: Anti-ism and the one by Marlie Foster ... I think something called #12J035. I can't remember the title; it's full of numbers and letters.
They were not as fragmented as some of the other ones. Actually, they're one of the few that made me laugh out loud. If not that, you actually got the message by the end of them. Check them out.
My Ext 2 teacher thought the major's in my whole class were rubbish (they were at the time lol, even though there were only me and two other people) so she showed us a major work from the showcase. it was 'How to build a Scientist' and we all were like wow, this is ingenious, even though we didn't understand the mathematical equations and stuff haha. Made the stories we had back then look like it was written by an 8 year old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)