The Math Project (1 Viewer)

LC14199

HSC
Ok, so after extensive research and whatnot, I have found that there are few notes on the web that are free, and cover ALL topics for HSC and Preliminary Mathematics. With this in mind, I have begun learning the syntax of LaTeX, with the intention of going through past papers from the last decade, categorising all the questions contained within by topic, getting the solutions and/or solving them myself, and posting the solutions in codified order inside a LaTeX PDF, with explanations designed for someone who has literally got no idea. Every step, even if its simple division or addition will be added. No skipping of ANY steps in this guide.

I'll be doing this project in 3 phases and would appreciate help from anyone willing to contribute time.

Phase 1: Information Gathering.
This is basically where the questions from the HSC papers from the last decade will be categorised by topic. Difficulty is partially relevant, though it's a subjective thing (Some students may find some questions harder than others). Marking guidelines may be useful here to see what band the question is targeting.

Phase 2: Solving or Getting Solutions
Title basically says it all. Each and every question will be solved with a complete solution from start to finish. Including notes on what the person needs to identify, the calculation steps required, and if at all possible, multiple ways to approach the same question. (Some methods stick better than others for some people, therefore doesn't hurt to have multiple options to choose from).

Phase 3: Type it Up.
This is the hardest part. I will have to typeset all the solutions acquired throughout this entire process into a massive memoir in LaTeX. Essentially, I'll break the memoir down into a chapter per topic, as it'll make writing the code far easier.

Once this project is completed, it will be released to the web free of charge, and will contain a list of credits for anyone who contributes. (Pseudonyms (usernames) will be used in the absence of a real name.)

Current Phase: One.

Github Repository:
https://github.com/LC14199/The-Math-Project

Edit: While the HSC Marking Guidelines give a general idea of how to solve the question, they do not answer the question of why. Why was this step done or whatever else. This guide is designed to remove that problem.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, so after extensive research and whatnot, I have found that there are few notes on the web that are free, and cover ALL topics for HSC and Preliminary Mathematics. With this in mind, I have begun learning the syntax of LaTeX, with the intention of going through past papers from the last decade, categorising all the questions contained within by topic, getting the solutions and/or solving them myself, and posting the solutions in codified order inside a LaTeX PDF, with explanations designed for someone who has literally got no idea. Every step, even if its simple division or addition will be added. No skipping of ANY steps in this guide.

I'll be doing this project in 3 phases and would appreciate help from anyone willing to contribute time.

Phase 1: Information Gathering.
This is basically where the questions from the HSC papers from the last decade will be categorised by topic. Difficulty is partially relevant, though it's a subjective thing (Some students may find some questions harder than others). Marking guidelines may be useful here to see what band the question is targeting.

Phase 2: Solving or Getting Solutions
Title basically says it all. Each and every question will be solved with a complete solution from start to finish. Including notes on what the person needs to identify, the calculation steps required, and if at all possible, multiple ways to approach the same question. (Some methods stick better than others for some people, therefore doesn't hurt to have multiple options to choose from).

Phase 3: Type it Up.
This is the hardest part. I will have to typeset all the solutions acquired throughout this entire process into a massive memoir in LaTeX. Essentially, I'll break the memoir down into a chapter per topic, as it'll make writing the code far easier.

Once this project is completed, it will be released to the web free of charge, and will contain a list of credits for anyone who contributes. (Pseudonyms (usernames) will be used in the absence of a real name.)

Current Phase: One.

Edit: While the HSC Marking Guidelines give a general idea of how to solve the question, they do not answer the question of why. Why was this step done or whatever else. This guide is designed to remove that problem.
there are already documents that sort 1984-1997 HSC from memory; I also have a lot of HSC paper on file :)

LC14199

HSC
I have a book that does this. However I have a feeling we need something a little more current, this'll also cover the multiple choice stuff as well (Which can be quite tedious for some). Also Dan I am well aware of your site, and the resources you have. Once this is completed, I certainly wouldn't mind if you hosted it there lol :p

LC14199

HSC
Still looking for anyone that's willing to assist with categorising the questions. I'm starting work on the 2015 HSC exam tomorrow, so if anyone wants to get started on 2014 or the other exams, feel free. Basically all you've gotta do is take each question and mark what topic(s) it's assessing. It's a pretty simple process :) Upload the results into an issue (create one), and I'll add the results into the Solutions folder on the github, and after that I'll go through and use the information accordingly.

Cheers,
LC

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)