The McIntyre system (1 Viewer)

nerd2die4

HSC
what do you all think of the McIntyre system?
the NRL currently uses it as their finls system, and the AFL dropped it around the time the NRL picked it up. i'm not sure what the AFL finals system is called.

the reason I ask, is because i was talking to a few St George fans the other day and they were having a little bit of a winge, saying that they should of played their game on a sunday. that way they would of known exactly what they were playing for, instead of waiting till sunday to know whether they were in or not.

My opinion is that the McIntyre system works fine, and that it is obvious that only the teams that come first or second have a second shot at finals football. and that it is do or die no matter what day you play your game.

thoughts??

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
The systems good in a way that you really have to play your best and try and win every game..........

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I don't like the idea of 1 playing 8 thought. It makes it a bit unfair for 4 and 5 and so on.

But they've found something that works.

nerd2die4

HSC
why dont you think its not fair for 4 and 5? one should get the 'advantage' and play the lower ranked teams because they performed better in the regular season.

does anybody know what the AFL system is called? I think they play a top 4 final, though i'm not sure.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Well work this out.

Roosters are one of the top teams along with the Dogs. They played Canberra who really just made it into the 8 by luck and were almost 20 points apart on the ladder.

Then you look at the Dragons and Panthers who were 2 points apart and played at the same consistency throughout the year.

The Dogs and Roosters got easy (although it was good to see the Cowboys spring an upset) by playing teams that weren't expected to win.

I don't know if I'm making sense. I know what I'm trying to say, but it's just not coming out into words.

nerd2die4

HSC
but don't the roosters and the dogs deserve to get it 'easy' after a successful season, compared to the dragons who werre obviously not as good as the roosters or dogs?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
its also the macintyre system...albeit modyfied... i think the NRL used it before... its something like 1 play 4 2 play 3, 5 play 8 6 play 7, winners from top 4 rests, losers from top 4 play winners in bottom 4 in elimination, then those play the original winners from the top 4... to decide the GF...

I got no complaints with the current system, tho id like to see some1 working out a top 7 system... .cuz #8 has lost by an avg of 18 - 20 pts since the system has been adapted

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
hmmm, i'm looking at from the wrong point of view, so here's my stance now:

Roosters were first, Roosters beat the eighth, so hey I'm all for it.

nerd2die4

HSC
about the top 7 thing - i dont think that would work because the seventh team is not far off the eighth team, performance wise.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
nerd2die4 said:
about the top 7 thing - i dont think that would work because the seventh team is not far off the eighth team, performance wise.
Cowboys won.

nerd2die4

HSC
yes they did, but their regular season wasn't too far off the raiders season.

nerd2die4

HSC
and also, one win means doesnt mean much. the sharks beat the roosters who finished first, but they didnt even make the eight.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
however 7th has beaten 2nd i think 3 times or something since the current inception macintyre.... while 8th has consistently lost by 20 pts since 99....

if you take away the first few games of the season when every team is settling in...u'll findthe cowboys to be far superior to canberra.... (even as they stand, cowboys has won more games than canberra and lost less....canberra couldnt have come 7th in the final round regardless of results) infact 1 argument for top 8 awas to accomadate for teams disadvantaged by rep players.... cowboys had 3 or 4 (did norton play?) while canberra only had a single player in city country...

on the other hand, i agree with loz... as long as roosters coming 1st they can play 8th everyyear

Last edited:

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Leave us sharkies alone...we will win it next year! Look at our signings! Luke Covell, Hutch Maiava, Paul Mellor...yeah! These guys aren't pathetic or washed up!

Anyway, I love the McIntyre system. It's just so unpredictable. If the Raiders won, Brisbane would have been out. Now, that is awesome since they came third, yet they still aren't safe.

I think it's good so that lower placed teams (7th and 8th) can't win the comp after a shit season without winning all of their games. 1st and 2nd have already proved themselves. It's an excellent system that assures the best team each year wins. Look at the years we've had it and the teams that have won.

1999: Melbourne - Indifferent regular season, brilliant finals series.
2000: Brisbane - The most dominant team all year round.
2001: Newcastle - Parra were more deserved, but they choked...allowing a Newcastle side who had been a dominant team all year the win.
2002: Roosters - 'Nuff said.
2003: Penrith - Brilliant team. Minor premiers, consistent, giant killers.

2004: Cronulla - all the top teams will be found to have cheated the salary cap, thus creating a Parramatta VS Cronulla grand final (my mate said he'd buy me tickets if this were the case in round 12) and finally puting something in the cabinet back at the shire.

nerd2die4

HSC
woohoo another sharks fan! hey we have something in our cabinet, we won the AMCO cup, how good are we. hutch maiva and luke covell are hardly star buys. though i am stoked about mellor coming back, and aparantly mackenna is coming back in 06.

and constip8ed skink, can i ask where you are getting these stats, they're really good.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Yeah, I'm so psyched about Mellor. He was my all-time favourite player when I was a youngin...but I can't see him adding much to our line-up...unless he gets a move to lock or something...but I want Hilder there. I dunno...depth sucks.

As for constip8ed...how do you manage a UAI of 99.65 and go by the alias of Constip8edSkunk?

nerd2die4

HSC
how can he not add anything to the sharks line up. it's either mellor or simmons. hardly a dilemma.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)