• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The more I try, the worse I fail (1 Viewer)

bscared

HSC
The more I try to succeed, the worse I fail. Every time I feel confident of a good job, it turns out worse than ever before. Does anyone else have this problem? I've even tried not to put so much effort into succeeding hoping that it would have the reverse effects but it doesn't. I still fail miserably in what ever I do. Come one, come all, tell me of you miserable failings (it might make me feel better)

asdf5432

HSC
lol that can sometimes happen, like with my economics exam. I studied so much for it, and even after I came out of the exam room, I was like "hmmm I think I did okay." WRONG. I got like 60% and that was about 10% under the class average. I guess it's because Economics is those subjects you can't just memorise, you also have to understand it, and be able to predict, etc. Sometimes the study method you apply to things are not good... you have to work out what works for you (visual, auditory, or kinesthetic learner). Hope it makes you feel better...

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
i studied like a fking cock and ended up 68% for physics.

oh well, i came first. fucking shit school.

T

Testpilot

I love not being able to study and still beat all of your type of people.

ane_st

HSC
bscared said:
The more I try to succeed, the worse I fail. Every time I feel confident of a good job, it turns out worse than ever before. Does anyone else have this problem? I've even tried not to put so much effort into succeeding hoping that it would have the reverse effects but it doesn't. I still fail miserably in what ever I do. Come one, come all, tell me of you miserable failings (it might make me feel better)
Yea that happens to my friend to.

That sux.

The only advice i can offer is study even harder.. That or learn the syllabus

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
That happens to me all the time. Back in year 12 I aced English assessments when I came out of the hall feeling like shit, and failed the ones I put effort into. Last semester I'd get good marks for quizzes I didn't study for, and got 3/8 for the week during which I studied the most.

But what's logical is that the more you study, the more likely you'll be able to answer questions, given that you're studying the right subject. So just because it's happened a couple of times, don't start believing bludging is the key to top marks. You know it doesn't make sense.

H

housemouse

Yeah same with me for 4 unit maths.

Was so ready for it, wasted too much time looking at the clock during the exam and just barely passed. Not what i was expecting for my result.

thecraigmaster

HSC
oh mate i believe u are trying to hard and because you r to stressed you are failing u need breakes u need time with friends and so forth! and it is also mind over matter u believe that u will fail if u study more u should study but in motoration unlike people i know doing 5 hours a night which is unbelievable !

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
make sure youre actually learning something from studying

if you finish reading a paragraph and cant recall what you just read then you just wasted your time. something as simple as closing your eyes, trying to remember what you just read, saying it out aloud and then opening your eyes and checking what you missed can save you hours of pointlessly staring at the words on a page.

L

littlewing69

1. Try less
2. ????
3. Profit!

But seriously:

Make all your study centre around syllabus points. You can't go wrong if you just learn the syllabus.

up all nite

HSC
maybe ur trying too hard as in ur thinking too much about it uno.... just dont think tooo much abt it... say ur going in to an exam.. dont think to ur self "oh i better go good in this exam, it goes towards my hsc, what if i fail. if i dont go good, i will get a shit uai "etc u get my point.. go into a exam with a care free attitude, just think of it as ANOTHER exam..
i hope everything works out for u

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
maybe your teacher is a prick?

i know for chemistry we get shitty exams, and that puts me off..

for the first chem exam, I studied my ass off and barely got 50%, and came 12th in the class. The reason was the test, he made up the exam and honestly it was a really shit assessment, as are all his assessments. He tries to be overly complicated with the way he asks the questions, often making gramatical errors in his phrasing too. The test had heaps of long sentences which hurt the eyes and had so little space to write your response so it messed up people like me with large handwriting.

and i'm sure that teacher has something against me.... cause honestly, whenever I put in that much effort, I come in the top 3 at least. To show the BS behind his exams, I was ranked top 3 in all subjects except for chem. After that experience, I decided NOT to study for chem at all. I ended up with the same rank as when I did study. (12th)

with you is it happening in all subjects or just one in particular? Maybe your teacher is crap? Maybe the exams are bad? There are many factors.
but anyways, i wish you good luck :)

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
my biology teacher hates me. for my model assessment. i got ZERO thats right ZERO for the model part and all its marking componentts including 'relavance of the model' and 'information shown on the model' because - my model was not 3d enough. what the fuck man. just becoz my model doesnt stand upright like an erected cock like the rest of everyone else's does not mean its not a fucking model.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Good point their politik. I think the phrase 'study smarter not harder' comes to mind. You maybe studying an increasingly larger amount but whether you are taking in and recalling this information is another point all together.

I suggest a change in study method might be in order this might mean less hours studying but what you will study you at least will be able to recall. Other then that if the reason lies in the exams know that the HSC is external and your teacher will have no input\effect on its marking.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I know exactly what you mean. One of my teachers always say that "results reflect effort". Bullshit. I studied my ass off for an economics assessment and ended up getting around 65%. And I haven't gotten 80 or above for Maths since Year 11, despite working hard.
And I really hate being told that you need a positive attitude, because thinking you are going to fail means that you will. Bullshit also. I am not optimistic in my marks, but I would never say that my lack of confidence has lowered my marks. It would be my lack of intelligence that has done that. I find that the worse thing is thinking you have done okay, then finding out that you have failed. That really bloody tears me apart when that happens.
I am a nerd but i saw a guy wearing a t-shirt today that has a slogan about studying on it (he must have been a nerd also)... "The more I study, the more I know. The more I know, the more I forget. The more I forget, the less I know. Sop why study?".
However, while it is a good point, I do not recommend that people don't study. Because not trying is the worst thing of all.
Oh and while I am on my long rant, I just want to say that I hate people who don't study and get good marks AND rub it in. Assholes.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
Oh and while I am on my long rant, I just want to say that I hate people who don't study and get good marks AND rub it in. Assholes.
99 % of those people are bull shitting.

Aaron06

To Rid The Disease
HSC
Ah, I have this problem with English.

On a few assignments I go to my teacher and ask him on how I can improve it. He tells me and I'm like thanks, I go away edit more of my work. The day before it was due, I took it back to him. He says "Yeah looks fine" I was like great!

The next week when I got it back. Still only get 55% average. That’s what I normally get. It pisses me off. I'm not a natural writer and I know it takes practice. But I have practiced and practiced, it doesn't work out at all.

So now I'd rather wing it. I did it with the trials and got an average of 60%. So yeah, despite what people tell you. Do what you think. It might work out. =p

bboyelement

HSC
u might think u studied a lot but comparing to people at ruse and selective schools you studied nothing... or maybe you dont do that much study that often and you did say 3 hours and you thought you studied your arse off. and remember dont cram and start studying for the hsc the day before ... also nothing is enough the more you study the more you feel like you know nothing. if you put the effort in it will pay off.. good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)