• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the myth to internal transfer at UMAC (2 Viewers)

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
MQ i think is kind of slack in not recognising people who achieve HD's. We put so much hard work into acheiving a HD but it still worth only a GPA of 4, same as a D. SO it is to no benefit when transferring internally. But it does look better for job applications when they ask you how many HD's you got :p

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Not that they'd ask such specific questions regarding grades. But yeah, HD's on a transcript looks pretty spiffy.

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
Yeh, but top companies do ask you how many D's and HD's you got on their applications, and i believe thats how they eleminate people for interviewing.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
They're not gonna ask you, they'll just look at your transcript. They'll ask more regarding low marks.

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
nono, they do. I've filled them out. Just go look at the online application forms for like UBS, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs..just to name a few. All ask about how many D's..etc you got. Then in the interview they ask to look at your transcript. ;)

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
Obviously experience (in a related field) plays a big part in the latter rounds of the interview. But i believe grades are the criteria for making into the interview in the first place.

Having said that, i've been to quite a number of interviews myself. Quite frankly, some employers dont like people with experience (within the same sector) at all. (This is only true for more junior roles such as an assistant accountant). They think you have been screwed in the head from your previous job/s.

i believe in that theory because once you have started working you would have been taught to do stuff in a certain procdure. Then when the new employer employs you, he/she cant teach you the ways they want you to do things. i.e. it will be hard to change our habit of doing things.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
HDs are also useful when you considering Postgrad elsewhere. Something I only realised after first year. :(

Dingo, please attempt to be constructive. :D

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by orangeguy
nono, they do. I've filled them out. Just go look at the online application forms for like UBS, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs..just to name a few. All ask about how many D's..etc you got. Then in the interview they ask to look at your transcript. ;)
Ahh okay. But Investment Banks are another beast altogether. They're very grade whorey from what I've heard. Same with Management Consulting (McKinsey, BCG, Bane, etc).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
All this talk... you need decent grades to get into the interview in the first place. :p

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yeah but there are heaps of grads with top grades...you gotta differentiate yourself from the pack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)