the name of the technique is? (1 Viewer)

HSC
What's the name of the technique when the composer deliberately inserts a comma?
If it messes up normal sentencing, you can comment on syntax or it might be one of these:
Antithesis Sentence

It is a type of parallel construction in which two parallel grammatical structures and contrasting ideas are juxtaposed within a sentence. The writer can juxtapose two opposing ideas by using phrases or clauses.

Examples:

To err is human; to forgive, divine. –Pope

That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind. –Neil Armstrong

Love is an ideal thing, marriage is a real thing.—Goethe

Appositive

It is a word or phrase that renames the noun that precedes it. The appositive is set off with enclosing commas. Most appositives are non-restrictive and aren’t required to identify the noun.

Example:

Steve, who wrote the novel, is now attempting to write poetry.
Periodic Sentence

This is also known as the climatic sentence. It is highly emphatic. The writer adds details, one after the other, and then finishes the sentence with the main idea. The key point to remember is to present the main idea at the end of the sentence in an independent clause.

Examples:

After writing for twelve months, editing for another three months, and contacting various publishers for several weeks, he was final able to sell his first novel to a publisher.

I came, I saw, I conquered. –Julius Caesar

Loose sentence or Cumulative Sentence

It is the most common sentence structure in English. The most important idea is placed at the beginning of the sentence, followed by a series of details. The key point to remember is that information accumulates after you present the main idea in an independent clause at the beginning of the sentence.

Example:

He published his novel after traveling to the destination and conducting research for two months, and after writing full-time for 2 years
https://davehood59.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/rhetoric-and-rhetorical-devices/
For me, usually commas imply some other dominant technique such as polysyndeton, antithesis, etc

ekat

HSC
A comma placed for a specific effect is called caesura

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)