The Name (1 Viewer)

HSC
i did mine on 2 old people and their daydreaming and nostaglic remembrances...:)
i called it "Camellia Rose" because they had a bush that bought the day they came back from their honeymoon and moved into their new house.
but one of them died, and so did the rosebush.

but if u are an 06'er dont worry if havent got a solid concept yet, i only settled on mine like halfway thru the year, and i got it done with plenty of time.
(actually i did the whole thing one night, but you aren't going to tell anyone that, are you?)

Last edited:

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
The train setting seems popular, the major work I read from our school for 2005 was set on a train, and there was a 2004 one also from our school revolving around a train also.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
ScottyG said:
The train setting seems popular.
Damn. That wasn't the plan, guess it's just 'cause people spend a fair bit of time in these.

Oh well, I'll just have to ,make mine really good then :)

AntonTheswan

Emisary Of The Gorgonites
From the forest itself comes the handle for the ax
HSC
Trains may be popular but that is because they form their own microcosm in which status, heirachy and relationships are dictated. The only locale with the same potential is probably the school bus.

Empires rise and fall, personalties glimmer and fade and the critical issues of our time are debated and resolved on the Train.

Master Gopher

HSC
In response to word counts and lessons and such, I have a word count of zero (I have to plan to the last inch before I can start, being rather OCD) and my lesson count stands at zero. There has been one but I missed it. Our school is insane, we aren't timetabled, and there's only 2 spots a fortnight where we all have frees. So we suffer on 1 lesson a week... it's enough to frighten the Gophers.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
AntonTheswan said:
Empires rise and fall, personalties glimmer and fade and the critical issues of our time are debated and resolved on the Train.
I like that.

That's not the direction I think I'm going to go though. I'm thinking about different characters that don't know each other, but are brought together by an event they experience, on the train. Sort of like 'The Breakfast Club' on a train :D

The thing I like about the trains is the cross section of society that use them, people from all sorts of backgrounds. They share a 'journey' but not a destination.

PS. A little ironic that most of my progress so far has been made while trying to do maths homework. While when I sit down to think EE2 nothing happens.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Hiya other 06ers...

I've done a bit of research and now am needing to find another..log book..to paste copious amounts of A4 paper into...

As for writing the damned thing (my pet), well I always start witha title that loosely fits into the ideas that are currently in the fishbowl that is my head :)

"Palimpsest Burnt"
so far i have two characters, an old asian bloke and his grandneice...
its a journey, a journey into the past, and then back to the future,
maybe it has a murder in it, or at least a disappearance
it has the facets of life that we experience at this age of 17-20ish...
its told over cups of tea, poker, photographs, urns and pieces of parchment by an omniscent narrator, maybe, or perhaps i'll appropriate Heart of Darkness with its narrator in a narrator...thing

ahh well, it sounds stupid here. "old asian bloke" wtf am i thinking?

well the proposal is due in two weeks and i dont know how to write one really...

yay.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
ScottyG: what is your story about so far. me and a friend (whop also did Ext 2 this year) were wondering

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
orange_blob said:
!

We had our second lesson today at lunch. But apparently we're gonna start having two a week next week. And I don't think we've even been offically "allowed" to do the course yet. But I think my frees (no more physics!) should come into effect tomorrow. So I think I'll just start writing anyhow.

And I forgot to mention my title, at the moment I'm thinking 'N6839' (carriage number), or 'All stations to Central', or something like that. (If you didn't realise it's going to be set on a train)

=
|3L()B
Grr, the school in its infinite wisdom has cut our lessons from 5 a fortnight, to 2 a fortnight. Apparently, our ext2 room can be used for more 'face-to-face teaching extensive' subjects.

Still, it shouldn't be too much of a problem I suppose. From the sounds of it, I was damn lucky to get the lessons i did! Heres hoping your guys ext2 timetables get all sorted out soon.

orange_blob said:
!

I like that.

That's not the direction I think I'm going to go though. I'm thinking about different characters that don't know each other, but are brought together by an event they experience, on the train. Sort of like 'The Breakfast Club' on a train

The thing I like about the trains is the cross section of society that use them, people from all sorts of backgrounds. They share a 'journey' but not a destination.

PS. A little ironic that most of my progress so far has been made while trying to do maths homework. While when I sit down to think EE2 nothing happens.

=
|3L()B
Don't get me wrong, the train setting might be popular, but there must be a massive number of concepts and notions that could be explored using a train. Plus, the metaphorical connotations a train could have are *enormous*, it's a damn good vehicle ('scuse the pun) for exploring things like journey's, human interactions, society.

Even the rail system itself has heaps of figurative potential I think.

I read a major work short story about a school bus on the BOS site, if you're interested go check out the Major Works thread - its named 'The Bus' I think. Worth a read if you want to delve into the humanities side of things.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
I've been thinking, and I think I've changed my mind.

You see at school I drew a kind of 'map' of my idea, and I realised that it was crap. All my ideas focused primarily on the setting and a bit on the characters, I had no real ideas I liked about the actual plot or anything.

So I scrapped the idea and spent the rest of the brainstorming, with little success. But inspiration struck when I was at work (woolies Seafood dept.), for a title, "Smoked Cod". No real reason, it just sounds cool.

From this title I extrapilated the name Todd, and a spontaneous vision of a character, though this idea is still a little thin on plot I think I've started from the right direction this time. Rather than working from a setting, which would have bloated by story with mountainous descriptions of a train without getting anywhere.

But I'm sure I'll retain the train in some aspect of the work, as i do like the idea.

PerfectByNature said:
ScottyG: what is your story about so far
Yeah, c'mon mate you seem to know where you're going, let us in.

HSC
N/A
^ Easy on the peer pressure guys, if he really doesn't want to disclose details (and risk plagurism), then that's his call, and we have to respect that.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
glitterfairy said:
^ Easy on the peer pressure guys.
Sorry, it wasn't meant to sound like that. I was just interested, as he seems to have done so much.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Remember to send me a Christmas Card ^^

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Just out of curiosity, how are you guys monitoring your progress towards a final draft.

For example, I'm using the programming method, V0.1, V0.1.1 etc...

So far up to 0.5 (as of 5 minutes ago) sitting on 3200 odd words formatted, with 600 in light grey just after it which needs editing. I know 0.5 should've probably come around 4K, but I'm a bit of a twat and decided changing the spelling of a word meant a whole new revision until I actually realised at that rate id be up too V1256.3239 by Christmas.

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

Now is a really good time for me to warn you about privacy issues. The moment you put stuff up here, be prepared for everyone in the state (who has a computer and internet access) to be able to see it. My best suggestion is to either hold off publicly announcing plot ideas at this point (until sometime next year when everyone has their own) or discuss it via pm with more trustworthy members, eg past students or EE2 mods (all of whom have already done their EE2 MW).

In regards to drafts, I had a Draft 1/2/3/4/5/6 going on, as well as "bits" everywhere that I'd edit at random (although I tried to be systematic). For those who are up to it, your current goal is to get a complete working draft (although most of you won't hit this milestone until April-June next year).

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
Edit: (glitterfairy) Original poster would like to retract his previous post. Am leaving critique though :) In future guys - mod-report things like this if the other member isn't online, because Justin and I have teh powar!

interesting. But i wonder how long the whole objective thing can last, i tried that with mine, i got to about 4000 before it started getting monotonous to read over.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
teZor, if you wouldnt mind editing out my quote in your post it'd be really good, as glitterfairy kind of made me aware that id really rather not have plot ideas up at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)