The Name (1 Viewer)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
AntonTheswan said:
only kidding, your secret's safe with us.
lol, maybe a mod will come along and edit the quote out for me ^^

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
ScottyG you're idea sounds great, you seem to know what you're doing and where you're going to take it.

I like the sound of the whole objective worlds apart thing. The innocent youth side kind of reminds me of that short film Birthday Boy.

(Hope I didn't give to much away, if i have let us know)

But yeah, probably not too good of an idea to give away too many details. Particulary at this early stage, and especially when you say you're journal isn't up to scratch.

ScottyG said:
how are you guys monitoring your progress towards a final draft.
Oh I wish I could.

But, alas, one must be making progress before one can monitor it ;)

PS Had a look at that one 'The Bus' you mentioned, and I thought it was really good. Thanks for the tip.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Cheers glitterfairy, sorry for the inconvenience ^^

Edit: Oh, if anyone's stuck for items of research, ideas, or just want some general tips to get started, I highly recommend John Marsden's 'Everything I Know About Writing'.

I finished reading it a few days ago, and its a fantastic resource. Probably in your school library i'd imagine.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
again - and as a sort of official notice - if you're desperate for mod attention, please mod-report it, or pm either Justin or myself. Whilst we do endeavour to be as active here as possible, sometimes we're just not :(

^ It's ok Scotty, it's what I'm here for! :)

Last edited:

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
orange_blob said:
ScottyG you're idea sounds great, you seem to know what you're doing and where you're going to take it.

I like the sound of the whole objective worlds apart thing. The innocent youth side kind of reminds me of that short film Birthday Boy.

(Hope I didn't give to much away, if i have let us know)

But yeah, probably not too good of an idea to give away too many details. Particulary at this early stage, and especially when you say you're journal isn't up to scratch.

Oh I wish I could.

But, alas, one must be making progress before one can monitor it ;)

PS Had a look at that one 'The Bus' you mentioned, and I thought it was really good. Thanks for the tip.

Haha thanks orange_blob.

Just a few suggestions;

Anyone who loves descriptive writing, the type who start any story describing the environment in great detail, with long adjectival sentences (with care of course), read 'Snow Falling on Cedars'.

The first chapter acts as one giant description, and its the most vivid landscape i've ever read, its perfectly depicted in his [the authors] language, which is definitely away from the norm. I really recommend it.

Just a mention on The Bus, it deals with conformity, and from what I've been told by teachers its a popular topic, and often doesn't get treated right, such as 'angst' which is probably the worst of all the concepts for that kind of thing.

So if you lean towards conformity, take care i'll say.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ScottyG said:
Just out of curiosity, how are you guys monitoring your progress towards a final draft.

For example, I'm using the programming method, V0.1, V0.1.1 etc...

So far up to 0.5 (as of 5 minutes ago) sitting on 3200 odd words formatted, with 600 in light grey just after it which needs editing. I know 0.5 should've probably come around 4K, but I'm a bit of a twat and decided changing the spelling of a word meant a whole new revision until I actually realised at that rate id be up too V1256.3239 by Christmas.
For my process I separated it out in to the major scenes and then basically did V 1.0 etc. and I found this helped me deal with it bit by bit as well as keeping legible records.

Last edited:

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Oh yeah, sorry about that.... i totally forgot about the whole plagurising thing cos im all done and everything. SORRY!

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
kami said:
For my process I separated it out in to the major scenes and then basically did V 1.0 etc. and I found this helped me deal with it bit by bit as well as keeping legible records.
Ahh, sounds good ^^

As for all the version numbers, I took heed of some advice somewhere in this forum and have saved each new V number as a seperate document, and backed it up offsite.

But should each progressive version be placed in the journal? Or only those versions that are handed in and given feedback?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
ScottyG said:
But should each progressive version be placed in the journal? Or only those versions that are handed in and given feedback?
Rather than just sticking it in your journal, why don't you reflect on why you can/cant use it anymore? And how does this affect your progression? 'Twould be a wonderful thing to have all these little bits and pieces of commentary from you in the journal that could contribute to your reflection statement down the track.:)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Thanks kami, good advice.

Name has changed to Centerboard, I made a graphic for it to try stop myself from changing it again. I'm pedantic :p

Skitten

HSC
hey...i'm a 2006er and i was just wondering how many people have actually started writinf thei MW????

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
Hey,

I don't think many people would have... it's still pretty early.

I have written a bit, about 3/4 of a page, just because I got bored. It probaly won't actually be in my MW, but I just felt I needed to start.

My teacher says that this term is mainly to be used for research, but I got sick of just doing that, the reason I'm doing this is becvause I like writing, so now I'm planing on writing little bits and pieces, as I go with my reaseach, to reflect the ideas I get for the plot, etc.

...but I'm guessing from your post that you haven't started yet, but after reading people's posts think you should?

just relax, plenty of time :)

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
I'm an 06-er and my journal is pretty thick already since all I've been doing this term is researching. Since starting the course my idea has changed 4-5 times, and I started writing my MW on my second idea but found that it hit a flat-line and really wasn't worth continuing with. I put everything into my journal - sheets, research, written entries, inspiration, the whole shebang.

Once I finish reading the books I intended on reading and research a bit more on my subject matter, I'll start writing, which should be at the start of the school holidays.

My teacher said that if you can have a first draft done by the end of the school holidays then you're making good time. If you're like ScottyG and can probably finish your MW by the end of the holidays, even better?:p

As for a working title, I'm not sure yet, because I plan on writing a series of short stories. A title should come to me further into the course.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
A first draft by the end of the holidays? That'd be a push. Most of our class has solidified a concept at least, while a few have begun writing.

We've got about 7 short stories, 3-4 few critical analysis, one poetry person, a radio play and two films. Hard to gauge where everyone is with such a wide spectrum of media, but I'm guessing the majority will come back with something substantial after the holidays.

Understand though, that I've taken a different approach to many of you. I havn't done copious amounts of research at the moment. I read Marsden's Everything I Know About Writing, J.G Ballard's Empire of the Sun and David Gutterson's Snow Falling on Cedars, and used the internet as a source for a lot of factual information. That's pretty much the full extent of my research, and I'll probably stop writing and go heavily into research sometime in 2006, when perhaps your all writing and have finished your research.

Wouldn't suprise me if we end up on equal terms about Term 1 or 2, 2006.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)