The Nature of Good and Evil (1 Viewer)

marthastuart

HSC
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for sources regatrding the nature of Good and Evil, i'm trying to obtain Dawkins' "God Dillusion" as an idea for the origin, and am using death note as a source for Good and Evil as a subjective ideal.

Nyao

HSC
Roughly a jillion kudos for use of Death Note; however if you're found out it might not be the most sophisticated thing per se.

Also, God Delusion is tripe and unworthy of the time of anyone doing Extension Two. Do not touch it. It's like doing a critical response on the works of Dan Brown. Your parents will love you less for it.

marthastuart

HSC
I'm not doing a critical analysis, I'm taking his idea of the origins of Good and Evil as a part of necessity rather than the origins of divine ordinance.

Death Note actually works amazingly well (the anime, the movies blow.) with my theme. Especially since law opposes justice. (L/M/N vs Kira, the former being the avatars of law and Kira being the avatar of divine justice.)

HSC
N/A
I don't know whether this is too 'not-serious' for EE2, but the moment I saw 'good and evil' I started thinking about Jekyll and Hyde.

marthastuart

HSC
I hadn't thought of that one.. but that's more one-sided decisive Good and Evil.. least as far back as I can remember.. better go refresh my memory.. thanks.

Nyao

HSC
Yup, I know you're not doing a C.A. However my point stands.

Also, seriously, if you're set on doing an anime, why not try one which is at least completed? I think Ghost in the Shell is pretty well accepted as a sophisticated text and Evangelion might be too.

marthastuart

HSC
Ghost in the Shell isn't really all that complicated and very black and white from what I've seen so far, and Evangelion is alright, but a slightly different angle than what I'm trying to take here, that and I don't think using the evangelion movie (which is the sum of all and the only one really worth using) is a good idea.. it took three more movies to explain that.

The main concept of Death Note that i'm adapting is the Good and Evil as a subjective view, and Light's character is one of the most significantly stable personalities for this, most other anime are pretty straight forward, even if a little cloudy at the start, as the hero(es) ultimately end up fighting for good.

I'm sticking with Dawkins as the excerpts i've read from the section i'm looking for actually fit quite nicely with what I'm trying to convey. I'm backwards researching here because I write before I research, so I attempt to find sources which fit my story and then *cough* fabricate *cough* development.

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
Why not try the more canon interpretations of evil and good via the Jacobean morality plays and the Bible? Milton's metaphysical epic, "Paradise Lost" would be almost perfect for you.

I was basically doing the same thing as you until my incompetent teacher caused me to quit.

Oxytocin

HSC
Haha, Deathnote...nice...I'm kinda borrowing ideas from that too...like Deathnote in reverse...but you can't really tell its where I got the idea from.

Hmm...good and evil...Heroes and Villains -Angela Carter, Vampire Hunter D, Battle Royale, pretty much every fantasy based book/movie...I unno...are you looking for cannon or pop-culture stuff?

Nyao

HSC
Additionally, along the line of Jacobean morality play, The Revenger's Tragedy is always worth a look at. It ties in rather nicely with the ext1 course if you've done the Revenge Tragedy (well, are doing at this stage) elective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)