• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the "nature" of powerplay (1 Viewer)

nufish

HSC
i'm doing Antony&Cleopatra i don't really understand it when they ask for the 'nature' of powerplay? What sort of natures are there

and how do we know if our thesis is too general or too specific?

the claudburger

HSC
When they talk about the 'nature' of powerplay, they really mean 'what is powerplay and what is it all about'. There arnt more than one 'natures' of powerplay, however there are more than one types of power. Thats what you need to look out, the different representations of powerplay, i.e. the different types of power in the texts that you have studied. My understanding is that powerplay denotes tactisc exhibiting or intending to increase a person's power or influence. Basically, it is a play on power. Think about how power is used in the texts that you have studied as well as the effects of power. You dont need to worry about whehter your thesis is too general/specific, if you have a good definition that works for you and works in your answer then that is all that matters.

In Antony and Cleopatra, there are heaps of different types of power exhibited and used by the characters.... such as political, personal, exotic and so one. I'm having a bit of trouble with last years HSC question: "Texts in this elective offer perspectives on the significance of power in human experiences. Were you persuaded to embrace these perspectives?"
I think that you would need to focus on what perspectives are being offered by A&C and your 2 supp. mats, as well as how these perspectives (types of power) have been effectively represented and if you personally were able to connect and understand them in relation to you own personal experience (it is a personal response).

Well i hope that helped
Good Luck!:)

Jessie-rae

Respect the Moose
HSC
the claudburger said:
I'm having a bit of trouble with last years HSC question: "Texts in this elective offer perspectives on the significance of power in human experiences. Were you persuaded to embrace these perspectives?"
I think that you would need to focus on what perspectives are being offered by A&C and your 2 supp. mats, as well as how these perspectives (types of power) have been effectively represented and if you personally were able to connect and understand them in relation to you own personal experience (it is a personal response).
Our english teacher gave us a mid range answer to that question. About a "C" range. You have to give your personal opinion on whether or not the texts are a true representation of powerplay in society today. Of course the context in which the the texts where written would have to be taken into account.
The comment said:
"The discussing relies largely on a recount of the eventsand does not extend to a depth of analysis, or to an evaluation of the persuasiveness of Shakespeares representaion of power."
The guy ends up talking about powerplay in shakespeare, to some drunk boxer being related to a psychological advantage. I was confused
Hopefully since this questions was asked last year, it won't be repeated any time soon

We were taught three main "natures" of powerplay for Antony and Cleopatra
Sexual: Cleopatra using her feminine abilities to gain and mantain her control.
Political: Octavius and Antony vying for leadership
Military: strength of the army ensures a strong and protected society
another one you might look at is Psychological, but its not a very good one for that text. Better for One flew over the cuckoo's nest

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)