the NEW HSC (1 Viewer)

schooly

hi i just have a question about the new HSC. i hear that the new hsc isnt about rank and all, as in now its just if u achieved the band6 or band5 and so on? is that true? if so does that mean there could be a year with no band 6 in a subject? or does it still work in the way that the TOP X people get band6, the next X people get band5 and so on?
i hope you understand what i mean.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I'm not sure what you mean by the "new HSC"

It was never that the top X people get band 6 or band 5.

If you achieved over a certain mark you would achieve a certain band regardless how many people achieve it.

Currently the internal assessment is based mainly on ranks, relative differences and the HSC exam result. I don't think this will or have changed. Can you tell me where you got information about this 'new HSC' ?

schooly

wasnt there a change in the hsc from 2001. like there was this 'new hsc' 3years ago? thats what i been hearing i duno... :(

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes, because of that change, before where they tried to fit everyone into a bell curve, they now report your achievements against set standards - Bands 1 to 6.

Thus you can have any number of people in each band.

Band 6 is 90+
band 5 80-90
band 4 70-80
band 3 60-70
band 2 50-60
band 1 <50 which is a fail.

Stupid thing of course is that to fail you have to do really really bad. And therefore instead of spreading everyone over 100 marks, effectively most of the people are spread over only 50 marks. Thus with the new HSC 60, 70 and early 80's is NOT GOOD anymore which explains why everyone was so confused in 2001 when they got in the 70's but low UAIs.

schooly

so does that mean it can occur that no one gets a band 6 in a subject? or will whoever got the highest in the subject gets bad 6?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes, it can occur that no one will get a band 6 in a subject.

Standard English for example in 2002, no one got a band 6.

They do not pick the top X people to go into a band. As long as you meet the minimum mark for the cut-off, you will achieve that band.

schooly

sorry for the many and probably silly questions, but why is then that people say if its a harder exam you get scaled more. wouldnt it just be that if it was a hard exam no one will get a band6 and so hgihest mark wont be so high ?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The harder the exam, means the better the aligning.

This means it's easier to achieve higher bands. But that does not mean anyone can get a band 6.

But what we are all concerned about is not the bands, because they do not reflect anything to how our UAI is calculated. The UAC takes the raw marks and scales it based on candidture performance in the course.

It's ONLY the BOS that uses these bands to measure our performance. And the BOS does not do the UAI calculated that we are all concerned about.

And if everyone did bad, the scaling would be bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)