The new MX5 - opinions (1 Viewer)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
MX-5 Base

MX-5 SV - a special edition where only 350 will be sold

Proposed (?) Mazdaspeed MX5 - not sure whether we will see this one here

What do you all think of this new design? A love/hate sort of thing? A design to grow on you? An improvement on the last design? Still worth $40K +?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Ill get them.

But only cause of your white ninja sig.

Ok:
2.0L DOHC

125 kW (170 PS) / 6700 rpm (manual transmission)
122 kW (166 PS) / 6700 rpm (automatic transmission)

189 N·m (19.3 kg-m) / 5000 rpm

Rack and pinion

Double wishbone / Multi-link

Ventilated disk (impressive)/ Solid disk

Fuel: 11.8km/L

Also, an interior pic:

Something "I prepared earlier", showing colours of the new MX5:

Last edited:

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
omg i love the new mx5...mainly coz i love all mx5's...when is it comin out in aus and how much is it coz i wanna get it???

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i like it, the new design is a fresh look on the classic mx5 look, i like they way its a new design but its still recgoniseable as a mx5. i think it looks better than the current mx5.

SlipStream

HSC
Looks absolutely awesome. Links to its heritage, not too extreme. And even more balanced and composed than the last.

Can't wait till I drive one.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
hmm...i saw 2 of those in one day...last thursday in my suburb...

nice on the road

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
ugliest coupe ive ever seen in my life
why do people buy this piece of shit for? not only is it OLD (the body hasnt changed much, because it's such a 'classic' pfft), but it's so damn small, and looks like a squashed sausage

You could get a nissan 200sx for the same price ...sheesh
well maybe not the same price, but in the same range

SlipStream

HSC
Bob.J said:
why do people buy this piece of shit for? not only is it OLD (the body hasnt changed much, because it's such a 'classic' pfft), but it's so damn small, and looks like a squashed sausage

People buy this "piece of shit" because it is a cult car - like the Skyline GT-R, or the AE86 Sprinter, or the Mini. The body hasn't changed because yes it must stay loyal to its heritage but it is also based on the same platform as other MX5s (I'm fairly sure of that). It has won dozens of awards across the globe, and is praised by motoring journos the world over for its originality, conceptual purity and value for money. They are an absolute hoot to drive, I hear, and one day I'll get to drive one and I can't wait. They are small because - and if you're any sort of enthusiast this should be common knowledge - weight is the enemy of the sportscar. Ever seen a Lotus Elise in real life? They too have been praised for their performance - only because they are tiny and weigh jack all. (Granted, they have also been criticised for their size - can't please all the plebs.)

You can't really compare a 200SX and an MX5 - they are very different cars. The rest you said is your opinion, of which you are naturally entitled to... :rolleyes:

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
Bob.J said:

considering the circumstances i th8ink they did a great job. because its a cult car people are always going to say its not like the classic one. designers get so much shit from evryone when they redesign a cult car. if the evolve the design peple say its too plain (like the new focus) if they invent a complete new design they get shit too. so considring the pressure on them to make a new mx5 i reckon they did a grreat job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)