The Obernewtyn Chronicles (1 Viewer)

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
Hey i am reading the first book atm...did any of you find that the first half of book one was a bit slow..thats what im up to. hehe does it get better?

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
They are good when you think back to reading them but during when you read them is a pain for some reason. Her style of writing is annoying at times. Baby like vocabulary and undescriptive settings annoy me at times, but overall a good read :)

selablad

HSC
I used to *love* this series! I was even going to name my daughter Elspeth and everything. I saw the fifth book in a bookstore a few weeks ago and was reminded of the series :) I was going to start rereading them, but I don't have enough time :( And also I absolutely *treasure* my copies of them, I don't let them get a single stain, so I didn't want to take the risk of rereading them.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of owning them, haha. I'll get them out the library I think. Pretty silly but oh well.

Also +1 to the make-them-come-out-with-orange-covers thing...

beentherdunthat

HSC
The stone key came out
it's so fucking goooooood i luvd it but yeah it was long
man i want them to make a movie :(

selablad

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
man i want them to make a movie :(
NEVER say that. A movie would kill it. Movies always do that to books :burn:

beentherdunthat

HSC
selablad said:
NEVER say that. A movie would kill it. Movies always do that to books :burn:
If it's as good as lotr movies was
whyyyyyyyy notttttt

everyone thinks of harry potter when they think of books being made in2 movies but comeonnnn
i wish i could make the movie, like direct it, i'd make it perfect :eek:

selablad

HSC
Yeah but think of all the movies which have been made of books, they are always *one* person's idea of what it should be. That's alright if it is a book that is just "alright", so it doesn't matter if it's that good or not, but I love these books so much...

And also, I don't like movies being made of books, because then randoms who don't care about the books go and see it, and I'm a bit elitist in that I think that only those who care to immerse themselves in the books deserve to know the story, it shouldn't just be open to every illiterate cinema-goer in the country :(

@ foram - anime and manga don't count :D

J

jhakka

I tend not to enjoy movies of books that much, but if it gets people into the story and enjoying a great series, then why not?

Having said that LOTR and HP weren't that bad. I've sat and watched Prisoner of Azkaban from wherever I turned it on from the last two times it has been on TV.

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
Hey guys i started reading this series a while ago now and i found the first book slow to start and then it sped up but it happened again with the second book and i never finished it. should i stick it out? does it get better??

J

jhakka

The third book is excellent. Book four is a bit slow, but still pretty good. I haven't read the fifth one yet, but I've heard it's really good.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I DONT REMEMBER ANYTHING

Bought book 5, but I remember nothing of the last four! It was too long ago!

I wikipedia'd obernewtyn hoping I could remember what I read 10 years ago (YES TEN) and I started reading the 4th book and remember very little.

WHO is Dragon!?!

So confused.

I have a feeling I have to read it from book one. What a bitch! Isobelle Carmody damn you!!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Honestly, the second page of the 4th book has like 20 names of characters and I'm like who!? WHO!>?!?

closmo

HSC
I think I have the four, and the fourth was terrible! I loved all of them up until that point, where all she is doing is pining away and blah blah blah.

Oh and Dragon is the muddy girl they found in some underground hidden city or something, and she has some really powerful 'strength' and she goes into soemthing like a coma for a long period of the book.

But yeah, would it be worth picking up the fourth book again??

Gdedaj

Procrastinator
HSC
I remember reading this series haha.
I still havnt read the 5th(?) yet though.
I'll have to borrow all the previous books sometime to remind me of the story, its been a couple of years since i've read them 0.o

izzy88

HSC
When is the nxt book of the Obernewtyn chronicles gonna come out? I'm dying to read...Stone Key was good ^-^
looks like the last one The Sending will be coming out feb/march 2010!! :D so nothing like the wait between 4th and 5th thankfully! (9yrs was a sooo long!)

I'm really looking forward to it- i've been reading these books for so long, i've essentially spent my whole childhood (well what yr 5/6 onwards?) following this series (and waiting). Not sure what it will actually be like when it comes to an end- i guess isobelle has had heaps of pressure to have a good ending!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)