• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The offical EE2 bitch and procastination thread (2 Viewers)

HSC
N/A
Monique,

I was so lucky last year to have very very good teachers who were also very supportive (parents *cough* weren't *cough). When I say our teachers were supportive and always there for us, I'm not kidding - I still have their email addresses, home addresses, mobile numbers, home numbers, house descriptions! We even knew the names of their children! lol. We also had a wonderful year advisor, who is still supervising his flock of ex-irrational, ex-unreasonable ex-rebellious Yr 12 students through their first year of University :) That, and my dancing (which I cut down on but still maintained all through last year) kept me sane.

That doesn't mean I didn't cry though, because I did - even through my first EE2 assessment! lol! I had my "bad phase" in Yr 11, so I was a lot stronger in Yr 12 and knew what I was capable of, and my limitations. I think that's so important if you want to survive the HSC year - do your best, but don't burn yourself out too quickly otherwise you'll have nothing left. That includes post-HSCness. I know of a few people who had had nervous breakdowns post-HSC because they just don't know how to cope... the lessons you learn now will have a huge effect on the years after. A lot of people refer to the HSC as a "rite of passage" and it really is because you're working harder than you ever have before. In my personal opinion, this will probably be the hardest thing you ever do. There is *so* much pressure on you guys right now, not only from yourselves, but from your peers and parents and teachers as well. It's not about doing well, it's about competing to get a UAI... *sigh*

As quickly as you can, learn what you can and can't do, and work within that - find your balance, and the way *you* work, because that's really the only way you're going to work to your full potential. With the major works, you do have to be the only one pushing yourself for a lot of the time - this is hard, but just try it... and if not, come here, and we'll nag at you to do it :D

This year, I have many new beautiful and wonderful friends, many of whom I met on IPR, who help me get through this year - we're pretty close, and throw grass at each other ;)

I'm so much stronger because of last year - admittedly, the workload is probably exactly the same (I know, GROAN!) but it seems so much easier because I've done it before, I know how the system works, and I don't have quite so many issues with the syllabus (Advanced English is STUPID!!! STUPID!!!). I also have more time this year to catch up on the dance I cut down last year, and combined with the new friends I never really had in high school (and the uni degree which I really wanted) everything is balancing out pretty well :)

I might sound like I'm with it this year, but trust me, it's only because I went through what you're going through now - heartache, stress attacks, tears, screaming (yes, screaming at walls in the hope they might finish off the page for me). Not the most pleasant thing in the world, but when you finish, you'll be amazed at how far you've come. Even now, you can look back and see how that tiny idea grew into a workabale major work that you will eventually be very proud of (but don't think you can stop working just yet - there is *always* more you can do! :) ).

The HSC is like a series of deep-dives... as soon as you think you've finally reached the bottom, along comes another one :D You'll be so over it by the time the HSC rolls around. Then it's all over! Yay!

EDIT: Apologies for the long semi-autobiographical post, but I couldn't help myself... :( I have a tendancy to just sort of natter on sometimes...

Last edited:

monique66

Thanks Lynn,

I think having you and Justin around as mods helps us (collectively as 05ers) figure out things. I mean it useful having someone to tell you from experience rather than a teacher telling you what to do. I suppose its easier to look at things in retrospect and be able to give advice to those around you inthe same situation. Thank you for all you kind and humerous words (and semi-autobiographical story :)) it makes me feel as though there is some life after the HSC! Keep being as nice as you are :)

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
23 August - Completion date for English Extension 2 Major Works
24 August - Hand in date for English Extension 2 Major Works

i think this is stupid. Who's to say that you won't be working on it at 2AM on the 24th

HSC
N/A
:)

I'm glad you think we're useful. :) Technically I'm only an EE1 mod, but my name is still in (yellow!) lights, and I'm addicted to this forum... :p

Justin and I were talking about this earlier - we get a real warm and fuzzy feeling from helping out in this forum, and watching our little duckies grow. :)

'tis time for me to go to bed, however. Night all! Try to get a good night's sleep, so we can all write more tommorrow! :)

HSC
N/A
tez0r said:
23 August - Completion date for English Extension 2 Major Works
24 August - Hand in date for English Extension 2 Major Works

i think this is stupid. Who's to say that you won't be working on it at 2AM on the 24th
Provided you're not working with any kind of multimedia that involves a disk with "time last updated" or something like that... ;) but you will want a decent night's sleep the night before handing it in.

Ok, really have to get to bed now. Night!

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Ok i'm back to earth now. Editing isn't that bad though, I'm kind of enjoying it. Plus I've already been though this whole process with my PIP so it's not that bad afterall!

HSC
N/A
Good to hear it's going so well! :) How far are you along, and is the mw working a lot better as a whole piece now?

Pointy Ears

HSC
Oh jee i know how u feel.
I have a hate/love relationship with my MW, and there are still holes in my MW which i just cant seem to sufficiently fill :( And then there are the bloody trials and assessments.........i wish i could just concentrate on my MW

HSC
N/A
Some work is better than nothing, my dears. Have you tried writing at least 200 words per day yet? Starting's always the hardest. Also, if you've been working on the one thing for ages, maybe it's the concept or method that just isn't working. Try it another way.

First drafts are almost always hole-y, you fill them up and smooth them over in your first full draft, and then you refine everything in the reworking :D

alessandra

HSC
mine is sooo shit, i seriously think it is the worst thing ever. It is soo boring and i dont know how i am going to fix it

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS my first draft is finished! even though i have 10000 words, it okay because it's done. Now, time to edit out 2000 of my precious creations :( woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HSC
N/A
Arvin Sloane said:
It was the biggest mistake of the year reading those Board of Studies showcase books. Grr.

Thanks for the morale support glitterfairy; consider yourself a friend of the revolution!
Anytime. :)

In regards to Showcase - you have to remember that what you're reading there is the finished product that has most likely been refined within an inch of its life. All the works there went through the exact same process your major works are going through now - it's just a matter of writing, re-drafting, re-editing and refining, over and over and over again.

The important thing for anyone who hasn't finished their first full draft yet, is to finish it ASAP. Don't waste time kicking yourself for minor issues or comparing yourself against the polished creme de la creme of last year - concentrate on your own work, and making it the best it can be. There's never any hard in searching around for inspiration, but you must keep writing!

Best wishes!

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
tez0r said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS my first draft is finished! even though i have 10000 words, it okay because it's done. Now, time to edit out 2000 of my precious creations :( woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

congrats..... *dances around excitedly*.....

well done!!! ... 10000 words is great... good luck to u and to all u E.E. 2ers out there...

u guys will finish... and hopfully with flying colours... only a very short while to go...

and there's 1 complete unit off ur backs...

* puts on Martin Luther King tone of voice*

u all have come to reach a stage where men and women of earlier generations have stepped time and time again....

But it is with ur will power and ur strenght that u have done so....

U are the elite of the elite
and U are all both the present and future philopshers/writers of our generation...

U all have a dream

YES!!! U all have a dream.. but this dream merely begins right here.. right now... were this dream will take u.. and in which direction u shall proceed to make ur dream a reality will be ur decision and ur choice....

*back to normal*...

keep working hard... and good luck guys

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Good to hear it's going so well! :) How far are you along, and is the mw working a lot better as a whole piece now?
Well all togehter I have 4995 words, it's a critical response so 5000 is my limit anyway (+ 1000 words reflection statement). It's sooo much easier as one piece now. It is far from the end but I feel alot better about the whole process now. and amazingily I finally realised what my thesis was :D

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
Hurrah! My first draft–she is finished! A flute of Dom Perignon for all.

It came in at 7,229 words, which should give my enough room to make the nesscary additions, subtractions, etc.

Now the hard work begins, eh? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)