The offical EE2 bitch and procastination thread (1 Viewer)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
OK, here's a tip from personal experience: whenever you open your major work to make some progress, abstain from reading ANYTHING you've previously written. I find that once I do that either the brilliance of what I've written gets to my head and I make no progress, or I rewrite portions (which is, again, making no progress). Just write! ;)

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
once again, my advice on using "white font" comes in handy here.

HSC
N/A
*agrees and thinks this is a wonderful idea.*

Other alternatives are shrinking the font size, or making it something like Wingdings which no-one can understand anyway.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
Wingdings is the most awesome font ever XD. It's like not even a language and people use it

Jopet

Old Fart
HSC
Arrrrgh, my major work is frusturating me to no end. I have done very little, because I just keep rewriting what I've written, or I go REALLY slow because I want it to be perfect. I need to learn to just write, even if it's crap...just write and get a big chunk done. D: Of course, it doesn't help that I have 2 other majors to worry about. I don't know how I'm going to find time to study for the trails.

That tip that was mentioned about not looking at what you have previously wrote sounds good, I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

Anymore tips to get past procrastination and blocks, please share!

:)

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Jopet said:
Arrrrgh, my major work is frusturating me to no end. I have done very little, because I just keep rewriting what I've written, or I go REALLY slow because I want it to be perfect. I need to learn to just write, even if it's crap...just write and get a big chunk done. D: Of course, it doesn't help that I have 2 other majors to worry about. I don't know how I'm going to find time to study for the trails.

That tip that was mentioned about not looking at what you have previously wrote sounds good, I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

Anymore tips to get past procrastination and blocks, please share!

:)
The trick? Don't think, just write. Don't worry about perfection just yet... considering time restraints, just let it all out no matter how bad you think it sounds. A lot of '04 students who did EE2 last year told me how they found their Major Work a source of solace during the stresses of their trials and in their spare time, would dedicate themselves to simply writing and feel good about having put more words into their total.

This will come as a bit of a shock to you, but I have finished my Major Work - I began writing from day 1, and I perdured to not hold myself back to the limits of perfection at that point. I researched and researched and wrote endlessly.. until these last few months I brought myself to review and detach myself from the work and give it a thorough workout.

EE2 was made to be an enjoyable subject, and it can be should you make it that way; write what comes off your pen (or the tips of your fingers!) and edit later during a miniture 'reflection' stage. It might even be helpful to you to have someone from family or friends read what you've written and given a critique once you've gotten those words out. :)

Last edited:

Jopet

Old Fart
HSC
illodous said:
The trick? Don't think, just write. Don't worry about perfection just yet... considering time restraints, just let it all out no matter how bad you think it sounds. A lot of '04 students who did EE2 last year told me how they found their Major Work a source of solace during the stresses of their trials and in their spare time, would dedicate themselves to simply writing and feel good about having put more words into their total.

EE2 was made to be an enjoyable subject, and it can be should you make it that way; write what comes off your pen (or the tips of your fingers!) and edit later during a miniture 'reflection' stage. It might even be helpful to you to have someone from family or friends read what you've written and given a critique once you've gotten those words out.
Thanks for that. :)
I do enjoy working on my major, but when I have spent 3 hours on it and have achieved not much more than a paragraph it is annoying as hell! Anyway, you're right, I'm just going to write, and write and write and write. I'm sure I'll feel better adding to my word count even if it sucks. XD

Random question for all ee2 people: Do you find writing easier on the computer, or on paper? - not that it matters, I just find it interesting. I can't seem to get very far when I'm writing on paper, but I think it all comes back to that perfectionism problem I have. Ha.

Okay, I'm off to go write...and suck, but write anyway!
>:D

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Jopet said:
Thanks for that. :)
I do enjoy working on my major, but when I have spent 3 hours on it and have achieved not much more than a paragraph it is annoying as hell! Anyway, you're right, I'm just going to write, and write and write and write. I'm sure I'll feel better adding to my word count even if it sucks. XD

Random question for all ee2 people: Do you find writing easier on the computer, or on paper? - not that it matters, I just find it interesting. I can't seem to get very far when I'm writing on paper, but I think it all comes back to that perfectionism problem I have. Ha.

Okay, I'm off to go write...and suck, but write anyway!
>:D
Like I've mentioned before (somewhere haha!) there's something alluring about feeling fingers on a keyboard and voila, words suddenly appear. It comes as such a sensation that often we feed through extraneous words or words with meanings contrary to what we wish to express. Writing has the advantage of being more focused and consciously thought, as it is an artform of sorts that requires more concentration that a letter simply appearing on a monitor. A technique I used in writing my Major was to type it, print it out, delete it from my computer and then type it back up again from the hard copy I have in front of me. More often than not, I spotted instances of misused words or weak expression. The process takes a hell of a lot of time and I did this during the "editing" stage, but it is certainly something to consider. Handwriting takes longer but comes with the advantage of being more thorough.

J

jhakka

I used a similar method to Matt. Whenever I edited a hard copy of my draft, I would retype the whole thing rather than make changes to the original document. That way you pick up mistakes or lack of expression that you might have missed in your proofreads.

Anyways, I would like to announce that my red pen comments were innacurate. I always used a mechanical pencil when I edited my work. You could write smaller and fit more in, as well as still read what is on the page.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I have the same issue as you Jopet, except that my writing doesn't flow enough...and is a bit verbose =/

Jopet

Old Fart
HSC
Oh my god, it's due so soon.
Holidays are already over.

Ugh! :eek:

I'm stressing myself out at the moment, which is no good because it kills my creativity. I should go do yoga or something, go to my happy place. :]

Last edited:

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *panics*NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! etc etc

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
I'm screwed, screwed, screwed and oh yeah I'M SCREWED.

The people that are meant to act in my movie are making it difficult for me to even start the bitch and i'm just completely screwed in the reflection statement etc. because i have no idea what i'm talking about.....atleast i don't think i do!

ARGH!

:-(

HSC
N/A
Ok, taking advantage of le spam thread.

I WILL BE AT THE MACQUARIE OPEN DAY TOMMORROW!

Come along and say hi! I'll be handing out BOS leaflets about the uber-groovy Online Careers and Study Expo. Some other familiar EE2 e-faces should be there on the day as well. Look out for a little girl with long dark hair, wearing a BOS sticker and possibly a tiara with "BOS" on it (trying to think of ways to make myself stand out!)

Location: Not sure as yet, but will be walking around - in front of library, and main area around Sam Block etc (ie where the trees are).

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
To add to glitterfairy's message, I, Evan, will be there probably doing some BoSy stuff with Lynn and maybe a couple of friends. If you notice us(and I think we'll be somewhat noticeable) feel free to say hi(at least till we run out of pamphlets - then we'll turn into crazy ninjas!:p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)