The Offical Tennis thread (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Kimmie is treating everyone in her hometown of Bree to free drinks from 8:30-9:30, i wish i lived in Bree!!!

Juan Carlos has now won 2 matches in a row at the China Open, i'm not holding my breath for 3 though!

swisstruffles

HSC
heyyy...im still hoping for some sort of ferrero revival..maybe not this yr but next yr..he can't just disappear like that!! hopefully he wont go off like kuerten has...:-(

sarevok

HSC
ferrero versus nadal...i never thought i'd say this but...go nadal!!!

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Masha :(

Injury fears follow Sharapova's China exit
September 25, 2005 - 11:17AM

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Withdrawal: Maria Sharapova.
Photo: AFP
Maria Sharapova feared serious injury after a mystery chest problem forced her to quit her China Open semi-final with fellow Russian Maria Kirilenko on Saturday.

The world No.1 was trailing 6-4 2-1 when she stopped with a pectoral injury under orders from her father Yuri, handing close friend Kirilenko a place in her second WTA Tour final.

Kirilenko will meet ninth seed Anna-Lena Groenefeld in today's final after the German beat Poland's Marta Domachowska 7-5 6-3.

"Even if I couldn't walk I'd want to finish the match," a dejected Sharapova told reporters. "It's something that I can't control. It's a very mysterious injury.

"It was getting worse and worse with every shot."

Sharapova's injury is the same right pectoral muscle strain that forced her out of last month's Los Angeles Open.

"In reality, yes it hurts and it's very painful. I had an MRI in LA and they said it was just a muscle problem or inflammation," said the Siberian-born teenager.

"It's kind of up and down and it comes unexpectedly. I took a week and half off to get ready for the US Open and after all that it was still not better so that's a concern."

Advertisement
AdvertisementSharapova's exit completed a miserable week for the tournament after the early departure of three of its top four seeds.

Lindsay Davenport withdrew after winning in Bali last weekend, title holder Serena Williams suffered a shock defeat in her opening match and Wimbledon champion Venus Williams pulled out with a knee injury before her quarter-final.

"I didn't see that she had a problem. It was a surprise for me when she called for the trainer," said Kirilenko.

Sharapova had won titles in Tokyo, Doha and Birmingham this year and was favourite for an 11th career title after the exits of Venus and Serena Williams.

Sharapova's decision to retire was greeted by a cacophony of boos from Chinese fans already angered by the quick departures of the Williams sisters.

Reuters

At least Maria K, won her first title!!!!!!!!!!

swisstruffles

HSC
well maria is injured...thankful that she's achieved so much before this mysterious injury has popped up...hope its not too serious..yeah id be pissed off if i paid for my tickets just to see so many top withdrawls so soon (even though its not the players' fault)...remember feeling like that at a few sydney internationals...

ciao_ragazzi

HSC
Is anyone really following the Davis Cup?

I am, and I've just gotta say GO CROATIA! :)

sarevok

HSC
anyone read any of the articles about how belgium's davis cup captain mocked roddick during a luncheon between the two teams? apparently he said to roddick, "I got to the us open on the fourth day but i guess you were already gone by then." lol. he also said with reference to roddick's american express 'mojo' commercials that 'we can't use american express today' and waved his visa card around. lolol

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
JesusFed is injured :( Will not play for the rest of the yr till the Masters

Poor Anna Lena-Gronefeld, she was leading Sharapova 6-1 4-1 and then sprained her ankle and had to retire

sarevok

HSC
ljubichoke somehow manages to lose after leading nadal 2 sets and a break, absolutely typical

sarevok

HSC
ljubicic loses to berdych in five sets, second straight masters series final defeat. fucking idiot ljubicic

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
This news and the fact that Jesusfed lost a match, deffinelty warrants a thread resurrection!!! I really hope she plays Sydney and the Aus Open, since i'm going to both.

November 29, 2005

© AFP/Getty Images
Hingis To Make Return To Sony Ericsson WTA Tour

Former world No.1 Martina Hingis has decided to return to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in 2006, her management company Octagon confirmed on Tuesday.
"I was never happy that my injuries cut my career short and ultimately forced my decision to step away from tennis," said Hingis. "I have enjoyed my time away from the court, a period that has allowed me to experience a different side of life. However, I miss the game and the challenge of competing at the highest level of tennis, and I want to gauge whether I can stay healthy and compete against today's top players."

During her storied career, Hingis has won 76 singles and doubles titles including 14 Grand Slam titles. She is the youngest player in history to reach No.1 in the world rankings (16 years, six months), one of only five women players to have been ranked No.1 in singles and doubles at the same time (a feat she accomplished for 35 consecutive weeks from June 1998 to March 2000), and ranked fourth all-time on the career prize money list, behind only Graf, Navratilova and Davenport.

Foot injuries forced her out of the game at the end of 2002 at the age of 22.

"Martina Hingis is one of the game's great champions and unique personalities," said Larry Scott, CEO of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. "For fans of women's tennis, Martina's return will add another level of excitement to the sport and enhance the incredible rivalries and roster of big-name stars. Her passion for the game has never wavered and we look forward to her return."

"Martina has meant so much to the game of tennis, both on the court with her results and off the court through her continuous charity involvement," said Phil de Picciotto, Octagon's President of Athletes & Personalities. "She had just turned 22 when injuries forced her to stop. Now at the age of 25, with several surgeries behind her, Martina is looking forward to the challenge of playing a competitive schedule of events."

Throughout her tennis career, Hingis was a model of consistency. She won at least one singles and doubles title and earned at least one million dollars in prize money each year for seven straight years. In addition, Hingis reached the semi-finals or better in 104 of the 118 events she played between the 1996 US Open and 2002 Indian Wells.

source: www.wtatour.com

sarevok

HSC
karol beck is suspected of doping and has had to withdraw from the dc final

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
I heard Hingis was going to make her comeback at the Oz open.

I'd like to see her at the Medibank Private again.

sarevok

HSC
croatia are now leading the davis cup final 2-1, with, as expected, ljubicic winning his match against kucera, ancic losing his match against hrbarty, and ljubicic/ancic winning the doubles. ljubicic will hopefully close it out against hrbarty in a couple of hours. invanesavic will probably play the dead rubber if ljubi wins :D

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
ooo is Safin playing? i don't know about you guys but there's something about him which makes me think he's r-e-d-d h-o-t- :)

swisstruffles

HSC
yeah if hingis is ready she will mst probably play first at the Sydney tourney.

safin is hot; i think its his kinda wicked facial expression lol

sarevok

HSC
croatia won the davis cup. i thoguht they were fucked after ljubo lsot but ancic finally won a mathc, thank god

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)